Overkill Audio Ovation speakers

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by HenryT, Sep 24, 2003.

1. HenryT

HenryT

Has anybody come across or heard these speakers?

http://www.overkillaudio.com/technical.html

Look like a very interesting design and they appear to be Bristish too from what I can tell, although the company involved with these speakers also appear to import other items including some Class D amps and the ERS dish cloth stuff!!

The most interesting aspect of the Ovation speakers (there's two models, only difference is cabinet size as far as I can tell), is the use of a Manger drive. The Manger is used in the "Zerobox" speakers, which I'm sure some of you will remember we had a thread about back on Groovehandle. Apparently, the Manger is capable of covering 80Hz-35Khz full range!! :eek: Also, it is not classed as a cone, dome, ribbon or electrostat!?! :confused:

I've not come across these speakers before, but discovered them this morning when flicking through the latest issue of Hi-Fi+ on the train journey into work, and then had a quick look at the website.

Would be interesting to know the prices too, if anyone can find out before I do, as they are exhibiting at the Heathrow show? :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

HenryT, Sep 24, 2003
  2. HenryT

merlin

Henry, they do indeed look interesting:)

I spoke with the guy Derek his name is, a while ago, as he is interested in the TacT gear. His plans for the ovations include active digital operation with dsp crossovers.

I was meant to go up to see him last weekend, but it all fell apart:(

Oh well, I'll be meeting with him on Friday so will report back. My problem with the Manger is that it doesn't have the perceived dynamics and attack of a typical driver. Sounds more like an electrostatic to me, which could be a good thing:) Stats just sound so natural, my old Logans, and the Stax phones have delightful qualities. Funnily, I'm getting similar characteristics from my subs, maybe it's just the effect of ultra low distortion:confused:

merlin, Sep 24, 2003
  3. HenryT

HenryT

Yes, I noticed that they have "Digital Active Crossovers" and "Room Compensation" listed as 2 of their forthcoming products on the website. Interesting... :)

So have you actually heard a pair of speakers which use the Manger drive units? :confused:

Interesting, I was thinking about reduction in distortion with the Manger compared to conventional drivers, it could maybe just be too "hi-fi" I guess... Oops - must think of a better wording for that last sentence ;) !!!

Still, if they can get 110dB max SPL out of them Ovations, then that's quite impressive, and not too far behind ATCs. But question is, are they fun, or is a certain amount and type of harmonic of distortions what's required for the fun factor? :D

HenryT, Sep 24, 2003
  4. HenryT

merlin

Henry yes:) The big Audio Physics, Caldera I think:confused:

They sound like an electrostatic to me. I happen to like that, but those after more drive might be disappointed. Peter at TacT has also been experimenting with them I believe. The impulse response is incredible, so they are blindingly fast, much like a panel. My memory is of huge soundstage and accurate timbre, very impressive.

I do think you should listen to the Merlin/JBL combo before you jump though:D

merlin, Sep 24, 2003
  5. HenryT

HenryT

Oh yes of course... I know exactly the speaker you mean. Not ever heard one myself, but have a mental image of it. When I first saw the Zeroboxes thread back on Groovehandle, my instant reaction was so they've used an Audio Physics driver then. Not realising that it's Manger who makes the driver unit, not Audio Physics, or do they as well? :confused:

I'm not jumping anywhere at the moment, as I don't have any hard cash to spend, just sizing things up from the sidelines for a little while! ;)

HenryT, Sep 24, 2003
  6. HenryT

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

I asked the same question about these speakers last week: Overkill Ovation thread

The guys that distribute these to the States are interested in taking on my speakers as well and I'm set to demo to them in a week or two. If I get a chance to hear the OOs I'll naturally offer my unbiased opinion. ;)

7_V, Sep 26, 2003
  7. HenryT

Oh and I can't remember the price but it's serious. My speakers are being considered as a lower priced alternative! They are also seriously heavy.

7_V, Sep 26, 2003
  8. HenryT

HenryT

Oh right, I never saw that thread before!! :confused: :eek: I wonder if it got deleted and then resurected.

90kg, yep, that's pretty serious weight alright, but there do exist plenty more speakers that are heavier! Now, I'm just waiting with baited breath to hear the price of these things. :rolleyes:

:)

HenryT, Sep 26, 2003
  9. HenryT

merlin

Back from the show, the HiFi+ guys are raving:) But I really found them rather boring to be honest:(

merlin, Sep 26, 2003
  10. HenryT

LiloLee Blah, Blah, Blah.........

I'm with Merlin on this.

They appeared to do everything right, but just didn't do it. Who knows it may have been things up stream, but that was mostly the highly praised Tom Evans stuff. Never mind.

LiloLee, Sep 26, 2003
  11. HenryT

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Well there is a 'new story' about Paul messenger and his naim cdp, being wasted by a lowly jap import, can't believe it, neither could he :D WM

wadia-miester, Sep 26, 2003
  12. HenryT

Hey Tone, do you mind trying not to give Paul M a nervous breakdown until after he's reviewed my boys?

7_V, Sep 27, 2003
  13. HenryT

HenryT

Who were the Hi-Fi+ guys, all of them? :confused:

Also, what music were they playing during the dems Lee and Merlin when you heard them.

Just heard another negative vibe from somebody who'd heard them elsewhere (not at the show), so doesn't look promising. :rolleyes:

I'll still pop by and give these a listen tomorrow. Could be a warm up issue, then again... Ah well, if these babies have more than a 4 figure price tag, then maybe I'll be rapidly losing interest..! :D

HenryT, Sep 27, 2003
  14. HenryT

lAmBoY Lothario and Libertine

I liked them.

lAmBoY, Sep 27, 2003
  15. HenryT

I'll try to make the Rennaisance bar at 12.00, 2.00 and 4.00 tomorrow. Maybe could meet there.

7_V, Sep 27, 2003
  16. HenryT

HenryT

Hi Iamboy,

What did you like about them?

I think most people's opinions I've heard so far who've put black marks against them have all accused them of being boring, lacking in liveilines and dynamic (any accusation mainly levelled at the presentation of the Manger driver).

What music were they playing when you heard them?

:)

HenryT, Sep 27, 2003
  17. HenryT

HenryT

Hi Steve,

Not exactly sure what time or how I'll be getting there yet. If I'm coming in a group (with WM & co), will most likely be 12.00. or if making my own way there, more likely to be 2.00.

Edited to add:

More likely to be 2.00 actually, whatever happens. PM me and we can exchange mobile no's if you like. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2003
    HenryT, Sep 27, 2003
  18. HenryT

lAmBoY Lothario and Libertine

The demo consisted of a drums only track - which I thought was nice and lively, anything but boring, very fast. Then they put on some nice slap bass solo - again very fast. I bass was tight, but I actualy prefer a touch of bloom. Then they put on Norah:( which was a bit dull - but thats Norah for you. I think people expect more because these spkrs a laaarge and very heavy but they actually sound more like a smaller spkr, like a very good standmount. But hey, thats just my take on them.

lAmBoY, Sep 27, 2003
  19. HenryT

HenryT

Interesting stuff Iamboy...

Sounding more like small or standmount speakers in the way they image I guess, rather than in their overall presentation of bass?

Must admit, I do prefer a bit of fruit with my bass too, but still like definition and tightness...

Got rid of the ATCs I had for 5 years because I found them ultimately too dry in that area of the spectrum for my tastes... thinking it was the partnering electronics :rolleyes: , AND NO I DON'T WANT TO DISCUSS WAYS IN WHICH I *COULD* HAVE REMIDEED THAT :D ;) !!

HenryT, Sep 27, 2003
  20. HenryT

merlin

Henry. I was also subjected to the drum solo:rolleyes: Yes it was very fast (characteristic of the Manger). But there was no dynamics to my ears and the levels were totally unrealistic.

The guy seemed somewhat surprised that those of us who had heard the Tact drum demo last year thought the Overkill setup to be well short of the mark, even for hifi dems.

Turning to music, they were totally uncoloured and fast, but also totally lacking life anywhere across the spectrum. They possibly are a very good hifi speaker, but to my ears they lack emotion, dynamics, and realistic loudness capability.

For a five figure sum, I would want more. For me, the Martin Logan Clarities (just 2.5K) had the same speed and detail in the mid, but a far more engaging personality. I am often accused of being too interested in "hifi" sound. Even for me, these were way to far in that direction.

merlin, Sep 27, 2003
Ask a Question