P25 vs p5

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by sq225917, Jun 26, 2007.

1. sq225917

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

it's time to upgrade my long suffering tweaked to death project expression.

i'm looking at a 2nd hand p25 or the P5 as options. i'd be rewiring with incognito, adding the 20mm SRM platter, VTAF adjuster and adding the Michell technoweight. ( and maybe eventually levitating the platter).

here's the question, what's the difference between the motor set ups on the two decks, can the P25 be fitted with the new style motor attachemnt or does it already have something better?

Any views of upgradability of the two decks greatfully recieved.

sq225917, Jun 26, 2007
  2. sq225917

RobHolt Moderator

The only word of caution I'd sound is that the mods you propose run counter to the strongly held design principles of Rega.
    Plastics platters, VTA adjusters, counterweight mods and expensive arm cables will turn a Rega into a very different animal that sounds nothing like a Rega. Why not simply choose a TT which embodies the ideas you seem to prefer?
    Funk V or perhaps the Michell Tecnodeck would be the way to go for you IMO.

RobHolt, Jun 26, 2007
  3. sq225917

dudywoxer Regaholic

I run a P25, with SRM's thick platter and technoweight. It may be that it runs counter to Rega's design principal, although it does not to me turn it into such a different animal. It keeps the drive and timing of the Basic P25, and a touch more bottom end bite, and takes a bit of the pace is all aspect of the Rega's on some music. If you take rega's design principals and stick with them you would probably only ever use a Rega cart on them, but something like the Denon HO MC's bring a totally new musical experience to the Party.

dudywoxer, Jun 26, 2007
  4. sq225917

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

in reality i want a deck that i can tune to my taste, and has parts of reasonable basic quality. i'm not too fussed about the stock sound, but motor quietness and bearing quality are biggies. hence the questions about the motor on the p25.

the funk is just a none starter, it's too ugly and the technodeck requires metal work not woodwork skills to make major adjustments.

sq225917, Jun 26, 2007
Ask a Question