Panic on the streets of Manchester

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by amazingtrade, Mar 30, 2005.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

http://education.guardian.co.uk/higher/news/story/0,9830,1447471,00.html

I am actually insulted that I wasn't invited to this.

I suppose I better take a walk to cemetery gates to cheer myself up, I may do it on saturday as its going to be a dread summers day,

Why I wasn't invited?

Heaven knows I am misserable now.

I am going to the Smith's convention in April with a load of geeks from the North West.

Remember MMU I may be Salford student but next time you do this invite this chamring man just ask me :MILD: I don't like to spend warm summer days indoors.

Erm I think I have had too many easter eggs! Any excuse to get out of work.

amazingtrade, Mar 30, 2005
  2. amazingtrade

Hex Spurt

Bunch of wannabe academics with too much time on their hands pontificating about the real meaning of Girlfriend in a Coma.

It's no wonder education is in crisis. :rolleyes: ( ;) )

Hex Spurt, Mar 31, 2005
  3. amazingtrade

Anex Thermionic

My god that sounds depressing.

Anex, Mar 31, 2005
  4. amazingtrade

But how is it any different to studying peoms? Just because its lyrics people tend to assume you can't study them in the same way as traditional works. However to me the work of Morrissey is no different to Blake in terms of relevance, and at least I was alive when the Smith's lyrics were written.

amazingtrade, Mar 31, 2005
  5. amazingtrade

Hex Spurt

You're absolutely right, we should burn all literature that's more than 20 years old because clearly it has nothing to say about the human condition, and all non-believers should have...

"Does the body rule the mind
    or does the mind rule the body?
    I dunno..."

tattooed on there arses (bl**dy big wink)

There's no denying that Morrissey speaks to all those teenagers living through the angst of the Kevin years, but then IMO so do countless other lyricists and poets; many of whom I find offer greater insight and express the turmoil of those troubled times in a more eloquent and incisive manner.

Is Morrissey any more worthy of study than a poet such as Benjami Zephaniah, John Cooper Clarke , or a pop artist like Jarvis Cocker? Clearly the academics in Manchester think so, but to me it just smacks of riding on the Morrissey revival band wagon.

I await the moment of revelation when Morrissey lyrics reveal the true meaning of Life, the Universe and everything. Will the answer be 42? Who knows except the genius himself.

Hex

Hex Spurt, Mar 31, 2005
  6. amazingtrade

I am sure people such as John Cooper Clark have had these acemdics discuss their work as well in great deal. And yes wouldn't it be good to one on Jarvis Cocker? Maybe Sheffield Harlum can do the honours.

I am sure some of this just a publicity stunt by the MMU though, and one person who guarentees to get headlines in Morrisssey.

amazingtrade, Mar 31, 2005
Ask a Question