Part exing Cartridge

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Donut, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Donut

Donut

Is there anywhere out that that would give me a reasonable part ex on my Ortofon MC15 Super II cartridge in exchange for a good MM (new price of around £120). Or would I be able to sell it second hand (not sure what it would be worth - probably 2 years old with original box in good nick)?
    For the new cart I guess I'm looking at Denon or Goldring but others would be considered. I'm looking for something a little more musical with more quality bass than provided by the ortofon - is this realistic? I'm relying on recommendation as demoing cartidges is nearl impossible.
    Cheers
    Donut

Donut, Aug 11, 2005
  2. Donut

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

For £120?

I doubt it ;)

Never had any problem in terms of bass with mine. Yes, it's "lean", but that's a million times better than "bloated" or "wooly" IMO.

Maybe you should look at other areas of your system (especially supports - what sort of plinth is your RPM6 on?).

Also, how much tracking force are you using? Don't be afraid to turn it up to 25/2.5g (Ortofon recommend 22/2.2g with the MC15 - I've always found this too little)

DT

Dynamic Turtle, Aug 11, 2005
  3. Donut

Sid and Coke

I've sold quite a few cartidges now mostly via e-bay. Write a good narrative and take a few pictures and there always seems to be somebody willing to take a cart off your hands. To give you an idea of pricing I've often found that approximately 50 - 75% of the RRP is about normal for a low use cart in excellent condition, boxed, etc. Recently I've sold an 18 month old Denon DL103 for £60 (£95), I got £80 for my mint Eroica LX ( £115).

Sid and Coke, Aug 11, 2005
  4. Donut

Also, what's the deal with that CAT5E cable in your system? Do you work in I.T. ? :p

5. Donut

Donut

Dynamic - I need to update my system. I no longer use the CAT DIY cable. It was reasonable but I now have a pink sheathed silver plated copper wire that is simply twisted - sounds much better.

I'm not in IT but bought the CAT5e after reading various DIY cable articles. There are quite a few forum members that use the FFRC CAT5 method.

I may look at changing my phono stage - I do like the look of the Project tube box but I'm short on funds so perhaps I'll just live with what I've got for now......you know "the grass is always greener" and all that.

Cheers
    Donut

Donut, Aug 11, 2005
  6. Donut

Ask a Question