passive preamps

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by fro, Jun 30, 2007.

1. fro

Coda II getting there slowly

Are there integrateds around that use TVC pre stages?

Coda II, Jul 2, 2007
  2. fro

murray johnson

Hi ABG,
    Some of the pro TVC posters seemed to be suggesting that such attenuators were as close to perfect as it was possible to be. The M77 is a very expensive Pre that demonstrates very easily that this is nonsense. However it possible to find or make much cheaper active pre-amps that are also preferable.

If a TVC is the direction people wish to follow, I'd readily recommend the non ringing autoformers as a much better option.

murray johnson, Jul 2, 2007
  3. fro

anubisgrau

i would love to hear autoformers - never had a chance - but many prefer TVCs to them.

i agree it's a nonsense that the TVCs are the last word. however i'm afraid that within their price range, there is nothing there to touch a cheaper TVC, S&B based or not. MF is certainly overpriced, full stop. in my system, both promitheus and bent TVCs (not to mention a superior double-C core DIY thing) were clearly better (or let's say less flawed) than krell 250p, cary slp-98L and electrocompaniet 4.7 Mk2 (just to name a few i used last year). the first active that sounded more enjoyable to my ears (although obviously more coloured) was EAR 864 for nearly £2500.

the only serious objection to the TVC sound is a drive/dynamic issue. apart from them they sound very good for the money and certainly represent a very good, affordable solution for many users. i really don't know an active preamp - except to build it with your own hands - that can sound better than promitheus for £200 new. appearance, QC and other issues with it are another thing, but soundwise - please let me know if you have something better for this money

anubisgrau, Jul 2, 2007
Ask a Question