pathos logos or Sim moon 1-5

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Ya-Boo, May 11, 2004.

1. Ya-Boo

Ya-Boo

has anybody had a good listen too one or the other opinions....

for whats worth my wife's took one look at the pathos and told me to get rid ASAP:eek:

Ya-Boo, May 11, 2004
  2. Ya-Boo

michaelab desafinado

Haven't heard the Pathos but many people say good things about it. Looks wise it's far too over the top for me though.

I have heard a Sim i-5 though and it's amongst the best integrateds I've ever heard.

Michael.

michaelab, May 11, 2004
  3. Ya-Boo

Darren

The pathos is distributed by UKD I think? if so, given my experience with them...run a mile or more.

Darren

Darren, May 11, 2004
  4. Ya-Boo

analoguekid Planet Rush

Pathos Logosis Ok but just about the same can be had from the baby New classic one, listen to it as can be had for around half the price, the logos is not particularly loud or punchy and is probably better suited to Jazz classic or accoustic, for more upbeat music better to go for sim.

analoguekid, May 12, 2004
  5. Ya-Boo

julian2002 Muper Soderator

i heard the pathos at bristol earlier this year. after all the hyping given it by kk in hfn i was expecting far better to be honest. i guess i'll just have to lump kk with barry norman in my 'do the opposite of what they say' list.
    i suspect it would be ok with slower and less rythmicly challenging music but for anything with balls - well imho not good.
    the sim stuff is probably about as diametricly opposed to this as you can get (bar perhaps naim). given the choice i'd go with the sim.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, May 12, 2004
  6. Ya-Boo

Lawrie

Keepin' it real, right here in Lawrieville.

Ya-boo,

I haven't heard the Sim amplifier but I had a good listen to the Pathos in my system and well before Ken Kessler did his review which I did not agree with. All I can say is that I found the amp to be deficient in rythm, lacking details and overall involvement. The Pathos New Classic One is, IMO, better sounding than the Logos. On the other hand, if you (like me) are not bothered about home cinema, then you could try the new Copland CSA-29 - very good sounding amp and also a tube/transistor hybrid. Just don't use Nordost cables with it.;)

Finally, if you don't mind venturing off the beaten track, then you could look-up the PrimaLuna Prologue One tube integrated amp which pushes out 43 watts @ 8 ohm and is built far better than much more expensive amps. IMO, this amps sounds better than the Logos and costs only EUR 850.00 Never, heard about it? Well, you just might soon and I can say that for the money, it's certainly worth a listen.

Enjoy the music,

Lawrie.:D

Lawrie, May 12, 2004
  7. Ya-Boo

analoguekid Planet Rush

Could also try shanling monoblocks these are pretty good sounding Different from the sim but have built in digital volume so if you only have one source you will not need a pre, Shanlings I have heard beat most others about same price.

analoguekid, May 12, 2004
  8. Ya-Boo

julian2002 Muper Soderator

if you want a tube integrated then one of the best i've heard is a world audio designs one (forget which - chris?). it coped nicely with goldfrapp's 'train' which isn;t bass light and although there was a feeling of running out of puff it wasn't obnoxious. they are cheap as chips too especially if you self build - but you can get them built by someone though.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, May 12, 2004
  9. Ya-Boo

penance Arrogant Cock

Julian
    maybe it was the kit6550?
    Nice amp, just not with my Dyns:rolleyes:

penance, May 12, 2004
  10. Ya-Boo

Ya-Boo

Thanks guys for your imput

firstly I,m pretty open minded re valve v's SS

the reason ive got these two is out of curiosity.....
    heard great things about Sim SS from Merlin
    and pathos was recommened as a good "valve" match with the
    Merlins

Pathos regardless of how good has got to go.......
    er in doors has decread thus

women eh?.........sold the "vegetable rack" {krell} because she banged on about how pants it looked

had too laugh when I fired up the Sim.......first thing she said was OOOOOOHHHH NO not another blue light.
    :D

have a proper listen in the morning

Was interested in trying Ian's WAD......alas he's too far away.

Ya-Boo, May 12, 2004
  11. Ya-Boo

Ya-Boo

just thought I,d post my thoughts, well I have to agree the pathos in my system sucks big time ...... flat,slow and pretty liveless to be honest.......found myself continually increasing the volume to the sort of level I,d never use normally in an effort to create some life too no avail,so said amp has been given the heave hoo

now the Sim I-5.......thats the complete opposite
    amazing detail & imagery ....very lively too,I,m more than a little suprised how well this performed it has too be said :)

Ya-Boo, May 15, 2004
  12. Ya-Boo

merlin

I'm not:D

I look forward to the day I hear better all round solid state amps than the Sim kit. You really should look at the pre power, that gives you real heft in addition to the other qualities. Sold mine last week:(

merlin, May 15, 2004
  13. Ya-Boo

Ya-Boo

Merlin, has too be said ,if you could have popped down for a morning demo with them, having now heard the I-5 I would have :D

Ya-Boo, May 15, 2004
Ask a Question