Paul Messenger's New Hi-Fi Mag

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by dcathro, Oct 27, 2006.

1. dcathro

demandcurve

Why not subscribe? It may be more expensive than subscribing to What HiFi? but for me the CD album review section alone is worth the price difference!

Seriously though, I have a year's subscription as a birthday present and received one edition so far, too soon to be authoritive but a lot of comment on extremely exotic and obscenely expensive kit (for a family man on average income)... although at the other extreme there was an interesting discussion on DiY cabling. Overall an interesting read but not exactly an independant version of WHF? if you are expecting Group Tests of widely bought kit.

Tony

demandcurve, Jan 12, 2009
  2. dcathro

lbr monkey boy

I subscribed to the first year's output. I thought it was a good mag, but didn't renew my subscription not so much due to the cost but more due to the measly number of reviews. I thought the first magazine I got must have been a short issue because it was number one but no, they were all like that. £8 for a magazine - ouch! £8 for a magazine that is thinner than my thumbnail though?!?!?

lbr, Jan 12, 2009
  3. dcathro

Tenson Moderator

It is thin because there are no adverts. A large amount of space in normal mags is adverts.

Tenson, Jan 12, 2009
  4. dcathro

lbr monkey boy

It is thin primarily because there are not many reviews.

lbr, Jan 12, 2009
  5. dcathro

Tenson Moderator

There are 10 reviews in the current issue and some articles too, and music recommendations. I think that is normal for a magazine. They don't have so many glossy photos either, which I think saves space. I do feel there is as much writing as most mags and its better quality.

Tenson, Jan 12, 2009
  6. dcathro

lbr monkey boy

No argument from me re: quality - whether that's down to the writers or the fact that it's ad free and/or low circulation I don't know but I definitely found it a better read than any other mag.

lbr, Jan 12, 2009
Ask a Question