Paypal phishing

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by I-S, Jan 20, 2005.

1. I-S

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

I have so far today received two phishing scam emails relating to paypal. The emails look very genuine indeed, and provide a link to update your account details.

If you use paypal, BEWARE! Do not, ever, access paypal by a link in an email. Go to paypal by yourself in a new browser window. Also be aware that some of the links in these emails will download viruses onto your computer.

The text of the received emails is as follows:

The link does not point to what the text says, but instead to a german domain, .de

I have put the url into code so as to stop vb from autoparsing it.

I-S, Jan 20, 2005
  2. I-S

michaelab desafinado

Also, to access PayPal, always use the URL below:

https://www.paypal.com/

...make sure you use https instead of the normal http at the start of the URL. And, as Isaac said, always use a new browser window.

If in doubt about whether the page you are on is really PayPal use File | Properties (IE6) or right-click -> Properties (FireFox) which will tell you the real URL you're at.

Michael.

michaelab, Jan 20, 2005
  3. I-S

Sid and Coke

I don't know how effective my own little idea is but it makes sense to me;
    I use one single credit card for all off my Online purchases. As far as i can find it is the only card that features anywhere on my computer. This card only has a credit limit of £500 and so far I haven't needed to buy anything online that exceeds this limit. My reasoning is that even if my credit card details do get ripped off, hopefully the damage will be limited.

I think that the credit card companies are taking security a whole lot more seriously these days too. I made a couple of Highish value purchases early last year, one of about £400 and another of about £320 within about 30 minutes of each other, after the second purchase somebody from the Card company phoned my mobile, confirmed my identity and asked if I'd just made the purchases. I think is because i hadn't used the card for months and months and then usage pattern suddenly changed.

Sid and Coke, Jan 20, 2005
  4. I-S

Indeed sid. I made a transaction for only £100, but it was to ladbrokes which is completely out of character for me (and I was only doing it for the £130 scam you could pull on them). They put a security stop on the card at that point.

I-S, Jan 20, 2005
  5. I-S

Sid and Coke

I rememeer seeing that Ladbrokes scam a few months ago. Did it work and did you get anything out of it ? It looked good fun at the time although i was too tightfisted/scared/broke or something similar to have a go myself.

Sid and Coke, Jan 21, 2005
  6. I-S

Yes, I made £140 and got my £100 back as well. £100 in, £240 out. Michaelab and pbirkett also did similarly.

I-S, Jan 21, 2005
  7. I-S

michaelab desafinado

Yep - I made £143 out of it: £100 in, when all played and betted that turned into £113 so I was already £13 up and then I claimed the £100 and £30 prizes they were awarding at the time so total profit of £143. I wouldn't call it a scam, more like a loophole!

FWIW I've used my main CC for internet transactions for years (still remember ordering my first book on Amazon.com in around '96) and never had a problem. The card number has remained constant in all those years (some issuers change the card number every time a new card is issued).

Michael.

michaelab, Jan 21, 2005
  8. I-S

robert_cyrus

ebay phishing

goes without saying, ignore this one too

robert_cyrus, Jan 21, 2005
Ask a Question