Paypal

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Saab, Jun 20, 2004.

1. Saab

Saab

I have had a request from someone from Indonesia to buy my P900,(currently on Ebay)

if they pay via Paypal,can they then claim the money back via Paypal? ie am i safe once the money is in the Paypal account?

Saab, Jun 20, 2004
  2. Saab

Lt Cdr Data om

I am not sure, its a bit risque, as they could get the kit, then say it was bust or never arrived, get your cash and run off.
    Paypal complaints are a little u/s, I had something that arrived duff, tried to get my cash back and they found against me.
    Fortunetely with legal threats they guy renaged.
    I am not sure, but if in doubt, don't.
    Others may know more about it than I.

Lt Cdr Data, Jun 20, 2004
  3. Saab

michaelab desafinado

I'm pretty sure that with PayPal once you have the money in your account there's nothing the buyer can do (move the money from your PayPal account to your bank account asap).

There's no way that PayPal can just arbitrarily take money from your CC or bank account without your permission.

Michael.

michaelab, Jun 20, 2004
  4. Saab

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Yes they can. It's one of the well-known paypal scams. Once you've sent the item, the buyer phones their credit-card company and does a chargeback on the paypal transaction. Paypal have no recourse from the buyer, so they take the money from the seller's account.

However, I think this now only applies to american paypal, with the recent split due to different laws. Be careful though.

I-S, Jun 20, 2004
  5. Saab

Saab

thats what i was worried about Isaac,I have emailed and politely said "go away"

Saab, Jun 20, 2004
  6. Saab

Lt Cdr Data om

outrageous Isaac!! and I thought the banks were bad enuff., just dipping in for their charges, its as tho' they think its their cash to dip into.:mad:

Lt Cdr Data, Jun 20, 2004
  7. Saab

BlueMax

Why not withdraw the money from PayPal before sending the goods?

BlueMax, Jun 20, 2004
  8. Saab

Saab

because if you go into a neg balance in your Paypal acc they deduct the difference from your credit card

Saab, Jun 20, 2004
  9. Saab

Dick Bowman

Paypal offers lots of opportunity for those who "know the system" to benefit at the expense of those who do not. If you are in any doubt at all I would avoid them - and take as a danger signal a "buyer's" unwillingness to use other methods of payment.

Dick Bowman, Jun 21, 2004
  10. Saab

Saab

can I assume this email is dodgy?

[​IMG]

Saab, Jun 21, 2004
  11. Saab

michaelab desafinado

Looks extremely dodgy to me Saab. Genuine PayPal web pages always start with https://www.paypal.com (note the S in https) and they would never display like that in an HTML e-mail message.

Dick Bowman - there's nothing wrong with using PayPal and I would recommend it to anyone. It's singularly the fastest and most convenient internet payment system there is. As a buyer, particularly for international payments, I'm reluctant to use anything else simply because of the hassle involved. As a seller, I'll only accept PayPal or, for UK buyers, an electronic transfer to my UK bank account. I've never had anyone question those choices.

As with eBay in general and many internet transactions, you have to take all the information you have into account and then decide whether you think something is dodgy. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, then it's probably a duck ;)

Isaac, I find it hard to believe anyone can just do a chargeback leaving the seller without recourse. If it was so easy loads of people would do it and it would ruin PayPal's reputation.

Michael.

michaelab, Jun 21, 2004
  12. Saab

quickie

quickie, Jun 21, 2004
  13. Saab

Saab

so yep,they can and do clean out accounts! see below :(

1. According to PayPal accepting their ToS (Terms of Service) in effect means you waive your rights to credit card consumer protection laws, and that you may not issue a chargeback for unauthorized use of your credit card and PayPal account. Is this legal? We don't know. But it's how Paypal operates. See my credit card waiver page for more information.

2. Their customer service is horrible. They hide their telephone number, (intentionally - by their own admission) and only provided support via "form" emails:
    As for the customer service, Sollitto said they intentionally make the phone number very difficult to find in order to save costs."

If you have a problem, you are at their mercy! (And you will eventually have a problem.) Their number can be found by: clicking on "help" at the top of the page and then "contact us" at the bottom/left of their page, then "Customer Support Inquiries," near the middle of the page, then "Service Center" under the "Help by phone" toward the bottom/middle of the page. There you will find their non-toll free number. Or you can click on our FAQs page and it's right at the top, plus their toll free numbers as well.

3. Their terms of service are not completely disclosed upon signup and some key "conditions" are not disclosed. No place do they openly tell potential members that their money is 100% at risk. That PayPal can, will, and has in the past, completely cleaned out customers' accounts, (including your checking or savings account) with no appeals process available.

4. If PayPal feels your actions are questionable, PayPal is the investigator, judge, jury and executioner. "Telling your side" of what happened, in most cases seems to be irrelevant. They also refuse to provide you with the details of their investigation and withhold documents they relied upon to make their decisions. Your only contact will be an email that says:

Thank you for contacting PayPal. We apologize for the delay in respondingto your service request.

After review, the decision has been made to keep your account locked. Thisdecision cannot be appealed.

If you have any further questions, please reply to this email.

That will be end of it as far as PayPal is concerned. You can email back, but you'll just get more of the same.

5. If you are a bona fide, up-standing individual with hundreds of successful transactions, but someone pays you with a stolen credit card, your account (by PayPal's own admission) is immediately flagged as being "criminal behavior" and any money in that account is confiscated. If a customer "disputes" the charge, same thing happens. (See email above.)

6. PayPal's fees for credit card funding are now up to 2.9% plus $.35 per transaction. A money order costs $.50 to $1. The bank charges most businesses $.05 to $.12 per check. A good credit card merchant account is about 2.3%. (Plus you can contest chargebacks and have merchant rights.) On a $100 item, PayPal's fee is over $3. At one time, PayPal was the cheapest way to send money, but they are now one of the most expensive, plus you totally at their mercy in regards to chargebacks.

7. Paypal's fees for NON-credit card funding are the same as for credit cards! This is the single biggest rippoff on their site. We understand Paypal charging a fee when you fund your account with a credit card. After all, they are being charged by Visa/Mastercard, etc. And we understand there is a lot of fraud with credit card funding. However, most of the money sent within the Paypal system no longer comes from credit card funding. However, money spent from PayPal account to PayPal account is subject to the exact same fees credit card purchases are! This money has been in the system for years and is "clean." That is, there are no fees at all to Paypal, and there is almost no fraud at all with this money, but Paypal charges the SAME fees to transactions with NON-credit card funds! Thus every transaction makes PayPal money, but it's nothing more than an entry in a computer database on their system. No money has actually moved, and there are no costs to Paypal. They are just skimming the gravy.

Saab, Jun 21, 2004
  14. Saab

michaelab desafinado

It's worth reading the PayPal UK T&Cs which are a bit different. Here are some pertinent exceprts:

PayPal (Europe) Ltd is a UK company, with a UK address, goverened by UK laws. The anti-PayPal brigade are largely complaining about the US service and then largely in relation to things that happened a few years ago when PayPal was perhaps a bit less scrupulous than it is now. Of course there's also the UK anti-PayPal brigade who just object to the charges and wish that everyone used NoChex or similar but they can carry on dreaming :)

Michael.

michaelab, Jun 21, 2004
  15. Saab

BlueMax

Very dodgy.

If you get an email giving a link that require you to enter confidentioal info, it is a 100% SCAM.

If I am feeling bored I fill in some 4-letter words
    :D

BlueMax, Jun 21, 2004
  16. Saab

Saab

I did that once Bluemax,but i was swearing at a Police officer whose Hotmail account had been nicked and was been used for these scams

he didnt like me telling him to piss off:rolleyes:

Saab, Jun 21, 2004
Ask a Question