paypal

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by johnhunt, Oct 2, 2005.

1. johnhunt

johnhunt recidivist

Is this for real?.........

Unauthorized access to your PayPal account!

We recently noticed more attempts to log in to your PayPal account from a foreign IP address.

If you accessed your account while traveling, the unusual log in attempts may have been initiated by you. However, if you are the rightfull holder of the account, please visit Paypal as soon as possible to verify your identity:

Click here to verify your account

You can also verify your account by logging into your PayPal account at https://www.paypal.com/us/.
    If you choose to ignore our request, you leave us no choise but to temporaly suspend your account.

We ask that you allow at least 72 hours for the case to be investigated and we strongly recommend to verify your account in that time.

Thank you for using PayPal!
    The PayPal Team

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you will not receive a response. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and choose the Help link located in the top right corner of any PayPal page.

To receive email notifications in plain text instead of HTML, update your preferences here.

PayPal Email ID PP468

johnhunt, Oct 2, 2005
  2. johnhunt

Telkman Nurturing Malevolence

Don't worry, just another phishing scam.

Telkman, Oct 2, 2005
  3. johnhunt

Sid and Coke

Just on of the usual poor samming attempts. When ever i need to access either my Paypal or e-bay accounts, especially where a money transaction is concerned , I only ever accees them via my own IE bookmarks, never by clicking on a link in an e-mail.

Sid and Coke, Oct 2, 2005
  4. johnhunt

greg Its a G thing

Simple answer. Always and only ever enter https://www.paypal.com/ into your browser address and login from their homepage.

Some of the phishing emails can be quite subtle, especially the URLs. Just a rule of thumb never follow links in emails to sites you use for anything personal/private. All the orgs you would deal with would all say the same thing.

greg, Oct 2, 2005
  5. johnhunt

johnhunt recidivist

thanks for that.

i'm going simply wait until i need to use paypal again and see if indeed it has actually been suspended. it if has i'll unsuspend it , so to speak.

the url that took me to the site that wanted me to enter my details was a little suspicious - it started www.medilab..../.../paypal../..com etc.

just as well i didn't

john

johnhunt, Oct 3, 2005
  6. johnhunt

joel Shaman of Signals

forward the post to PayPal, they will try to track those responsible and end the scam.

joel, Oct 3, 2005
  7. johnhunt

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

Exactly the right answer. Same logic goes for eBay, your bank etc etc. Never enter a password in a site reached from a link in an unsolicited email.

Tony.

TonyL, Oct 3, 2005
  8. johnhunt

lordsummit moderate mod

They will always adress you by name as well if it's a genuine paypal email

lordsummit, Oct 3, 2005
  9. johnhunt

johnhunt recidivist

i did send the email over to paypal who said is was not sent from them. the advice they give is that paypal will never communicate with you asking for any log on info. obvious when you think about it but good advice anyway

johnhunt, Oct 5, 2005
Ask a Question