Pearl Jam

Discussion in 'General Music' started by Will, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Will

Will The Lucky One

Having been a fan of Soundgarden, Nirvana and Alice In Chains for quite some time, last weekend I picked up a CD by Pearl Jam (Live On Two Legs).

I'd never really heard anything by them before (despite having heard tons of stuff by the other 3 grunge bands mentioned, and despite them being so well known, especially when compared to Alice In Chains who seem to me relatively forgotten when compared with the others), but was mighty impressed by this album, nicely recorded too for a live album.

I love the guitars in the middle of 'Do The Evolution' and the drumming is ace throughout. Eddie Vedder's lyrics are somewhat unintelligable on large parts of some tracks, but that seems to be the norm from reading album reviews, and doesn't necessarily detract too much from the sound I feel.

Reading around the various reviews of their other albums, nobody agrees on which is best. I read a review of Vitalogy for example, which slated it as their worst album, yet it features 'Nothingman' and 'Better Man', for me two of the better tracks off 'Live On Two Legs'!

Any other fans? Recommendations? :)

Will, Jan 4, 2006
  2. Will

Sid and Coke

I've got all of their studio albums, ( well upto Binaural), plus live on two legs and a few of the 'official bootlegs' (Pearl Jam allow fans to 'tape' their concerts, but as a twist, often release 'official bootlegs' of some concerts which are very well recorded and better VFM for a fan than a proper Bootleg , but without the big promotional costs, etc..).

My own personal favorite labum by PJ is VS, (the one with the camels head on the front). Rearview Mirror being my fave PJ track. It was the first PJ album that i bought. The album Yeild is also another favorite, it was the album released around the time of the Live on two legs tour.

well reminded BTW, I need to play catch up with my own PJ collection and maybe even have a listen too ! I was playing U2 all day yesterday for the first time in years and thoroughly enjoyed it, it is often easy to forget what you've alreday got and why you bought it, before buying new stuff ( said Sid contradicting himself within just one sentance :D ).......

Sid and Coke, Jan 4, 2006
  3. Will

T-bone Sanchez

Thats my fave too! the singer has a great voice, its a shame his mental state isnt great.

T-bone Sanchez, Jan 4, 2006
  4. Will

mr cat Member of the month

mr cat, Jan 4, 2006
  5. Will

badchamp Thermionic Member

Yield is the only one I've got. Great album I'd definitely recommend it. Dunno if its fairly typical for a PJ album though.

Jeff

badchamp, Jan 4, 2006
  6. Will

lAmBoY Lothario and Libertine

IMO the 'live in Tokyo' is the best closely followed by '10' (the most criticaly aclaimed).

The best track (and one of my all time fave tracks EVER - 'Black'.

Superb.

lAmBoY, Jan 4, 2006
  7. Will

Anex Thermionic

Grunge is an extension of punk, its more related to hardcore but with a stoner twist. SY came from punk again but added a noise and artsy twist.

Anex, Jan 4, 2006
  8. Will

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I have V's on cassette and mini disc, 10 on vinyl and Vitalogy on CD

The only one I can remember listening to lately would be 10, and I'd say that's the best place to start. I've heard bits of their newer stuff and it didn't grab my attention as much. Possibly MOre to do with my tastes changing than their standards.

I also heard a bit of a string quartet cover album type thing a while back, which was fun listening.

MO!, Jan 4, 2006
  9. Will

angi73

I thought TEN and VS were regarded by most people as the best. The much more recent album RIOT ACT is a very good album too and can be picked up very cheaply in sales etc.

Not so keen on yield and binaural. havent heard vitalogy.

angi73, Jan 4, 2006
  10. Will

Hodgesaargh

I have all of their albums except No Code. Yield is my favourite.

Vitalogy has some very good songs on it, but it also has some trash. It's a frustrating album. I dont think it's their worst though, I would say Riot Act is the worst (it's got cool cover art, though).

My favourites are Yield, Ten and Vitalogy. Vs is ok, has some good tracks on it, and Binnaural isnt bad.

Hodgesaargh, Jan 5, 2006
  11. Will

Riverdog

Will,

Vs. is one my desert island discs. Without a doubt their most consistent effort with a good mixture punk attitude - Go, Animal, Blood, allbeit simplistic social commentary - W.M.A (White Male American), Rats- personal introspection of Daughter, Rearview Mirror and good old navel gazing numbers like Indifference.

Matt Cameron of Soundgarden has had a distinct infulence on the Pearl Jam sound since joining them on Binaural. Riot Act probably showcases the guy's talent more.

If you like Live on Two Legs you might also like Live at Benaroya Hall. Its a great acoustic set and as customary with their shows, well recorded. Includes a great version of Crazy Mary. Beware, obsession with Pearl Jam live shows may take hold very easily! Bought Live on Two Legs before going on to get every single one of the 72 live recordings from the 2000 tour.

Happy listening

Riverdog, Jan 5, 2006
  12. Will

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Agreed - "Aye davinita" and "Stupidmop" spring to mind. On the other hand, you've got "Corduroy", "Nothingman" and "Last exit"...

I still think "VS" is my fave, but with "Vitalogy" very close behind.

domfjbrown, Jan 5, 2006
  13. Will

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

'ten' IS pearl jams best album.

'vs' is some stuff that wasn't good enough to make it onto 'ten' with a few more songs they recorded at the time.

Yield and Vitalogy are ok, good in parts.

Start with TEN.

bottleneck, Jan 5, 2006
  14. Will

Hodgesaargh

No I think 'Yield' IS their best album.

Hodgesaargh, Jan 5, 2006
  15. Will

ilockyer rockin' in the free world

Vitalogy does have some great tunes on it, any album with Corduroy, Last Exit, Nothingman and Betterman on it can't be that bad. There is some filler though. Ten and VS are excellent, the first two albums I bought and I can't pick between those.

Live On Two Legs is a pretty good live album and would serve as a good single disc sampler for anyone looking for a starting point. The double CD Rear View Mirror (I think that's what it's called) is quite a good retrospective set.

Agreed on the quality of the acoustic live album, criminally underplayed unfortunately. Am definitely looking forward to their next album, and hoping they might return to Europe for the first time in 6 years too.

ilockyer, Jan 5, 2006
  16. Will

rod

There are a few interesting side-projects and other bands that the members of Pearl Jam were / are involved in, that deserve a mention here:

Mother Love Bone (Stone Gossard and Jeff Ament) - Pre-date PJ. A more straight-ahead rock band than PJ, albeit with a glam twist. Ill-fated, as singer Andrew Love died of an overdose before their debut album - Apple - was released. I have a soft spot for this album. If you're after this, get the version that comes with their EP - Shine.

Temple of the Dog (most of PJ with Chris Cornell) - Brilliant tribute to Andrew Wood that kind of grew legs and became a full album. Some storming songs here along with the expected ballads. Highly recommended.

Brad (Gossard) - Gossard's long running side band. Released three albums between '93 and '02 - Shame, Interiors, and Welcome to Discovery Park. Shame is probably the strongest of the three, but I like them all. Brad becomes Satchel when Gossard is with PJ (!).

Stone Gossard - Solo album, Bayleaf. Some fine songs on here, and he sings on most of it.

Three Fish (Ament) - I've only heard Three Fish (Quiet Table is the other one), but I'm not a great fan of it, but that's just me.

rod, Jan 7, 2006
  17. Will

Hodgesaargh

I used to have that album. Dull. A couple of ok songs the rest was dullll.

Hodgesaargh, Jan 7, 2006
  18. Will

Will The Lucky One

I have the Temple Of The Dog album, excellent IMHO :) I shall have to check out the others - a mate of mine (obsesses witb grunge, he says he should have been born earlier and in Seattle) keeps going on about Mother Love Bone to me as well, will have to get him to bring the CD round at some point.

Cheers for the pointers so far folks :)

Will, Jan 7, 2006
  19. Will

la toilette Downright stupid

I never really rated the Temple of the Dog album (although I do have it), it was all a bit turgid and wallowy for me, although it does have the odd moment or two.

I heard a Mother Love Bone song on the 'Singles' soundtrack (early 90's film with grunge soundtrack), remember liking it tho' can't recall the song - was it a cover? That soundtrack introduced me to Smashing Pumpkins (Drown I think was on there).

Other likewise band I enjoyed at the time was Blind Melon, and shortly after Monster Magnet (riff-tastic nonsense, can't believe they weren't more popular in UK - like Black Sabbath on acid).

Still, Pearl Jam's 10 reminds me of my 1st year at Staffs Poly (or Uni as it was when I left), so will always be a favourite.

la toilette, Jan 7, 2006
  20. Will

rod

It was Chloe Dancer / Crown Of Thorns. There were no covers on their album, and you're right, it was Drown.

I saw Blind Melon in King Tut's in Glasgow back in '93. Excellent gig, better live than on album. Shannon Hoon bit the dust by an overdose in '95, what a waste.

As far as Monster Magnet go, they are about to tour, so get to it!

rod, Jan 8, 2006
Ask a Question