Pedersen's Gyro - Still planning my next TT

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by 7_V, Mar 14, 2004.

1. 7_V

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

I'm still planning my next TT and have come across this site: Pedersen's Gyro - Michell Turntables Upgrade Site

I've read the bumph and I'm impressed. I feel that this could be the real deal. Rubber bands instead of springs - sounds like my kind of TT. :cool:

Mind you, I'm only going on my understanding of TT theory. I haven't heard the things.

So...

Before I go chasing used Michells to play with, I thought I'd post here and see if anyone has come across this already.

Anyone?

7_V, Mar 14, 2004
  2. 7_V

SimonConnell

I'd never seen it before, but I've spent the past half-hour reading it all. I'm not going to start a flame-war by coming out for or against his various tweaks, but I will comment that you'll totally sh@g up the resale value of the Gyrodec, because I really honestly doubt that you'd find anyone willing to buy it for the cost of the normal Gyro, let alone that plus the modification cost. It was what I found when I had my Sony SACD player modded, although the mods were very well reviewed I still ended up selling the player for less than the untweaked version went for S/H because the market for such aftermarket tweaks is very small. I'd bear all of this in mind when also considering that you can't hear the finished product before you part with your cash, and it looks like the material value of the parts is relatively low compared to the cost.
    Simon

SimonConnell, Mar 14, 2004
  3. 7_V

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

I believe Lawrie has played with this.
    Might want to send him an email?

bottleneck, Mar 14, 2004
  4. 7_V

Good point Simon, although I'm a bit of a "once I've decided to go for it, I'll go for it and to hell with the consequences" kind of guy.

The mods themselves aren't that expensive but I thought that they're reversable. Did I get that wrong? If so, I would listen before trying.

7_V, Mar 14, 2004
  5. 7_V

sideshowbob Trisha

Get the upgraded PSU, and convert the motor to DC if you have the older AC model. That'll give a substantial improvement.

Once that's settled down, go for an Orbe platter, for an extra bit of weight and authority.

The results are well worth it, and a known quantity. You'll end up with a seriously good deck. I did it the other way around (I bought my Gyro with an Orbe platter already in place, and then added the PSU), but I suspect the PSU makes a bigger difference than the platter (they're both worth doing, however).

What arm are you using, btw?

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Mar 14, 2004
  6. 7_V

HenryT

I think the armboard mod on that site must indeed be the one the Lawrie keeps on going on about. Must admit, having seen the photos of the armboard mod on that I'm not very tempted to give it ago. Looks like a mod that even a monkey like me could install with ease and it's relatively affordable! ;)

Re the actual extensive t/t mods, that's what I thought at first, and again I thought it'd be a very simple DIY job. But having seen a couple of the photos it's quite clear that some drilling of the plinth and other parts is required - this really puts me off and as such doesn't make it reversable...

[​IMG]

Not sure I'd ever want to go through the hassle of sending my t/t away to Denmark either.

HenryT, Mar 14, 2004
  7. 7_V

Ian, I'm using the Origin Live Silver tonearm with my Ortofon Rohmann. At this point in time I don't have an Orbe or Gyrodek, just my trusty Mycro. I am well aware that I will have to upgrade it soon.

OK, the mods are not reversable so I would have to listen before going for it. I wonder how much a spare plinth would cost.

I do like the suspension concept. It has the potential of giving all of the benefits of a sprung sub-chassis with those of a non-sprung unit.

7_V, Mar 14, 2004
  8. 7_V

HenryT

I'd imagine if you give the Michell factory a call they'd be able to give you a quote. :) Apart from the plinth, there's also that perimeter surroundy metal bit that emcompasses the platter and motor (don't know what it's proper name is or how to describe it better), that bit also gets drilled. See the fixing points below each of the suspension/spring bits in the photo I posted above from the site e.g.

A modded Gyro SE:

[​IMG]

Versus a vanilla Gyro SE:

[​IMG]

HenryT, Mar 14, 2004
  9. 7_V

sideshowbob Trisha

Ah, sorry, thought you had a Gyro. Doh!

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Mar 14, 2004
  10. 7_V

So, all in all, if I got a Gyro or Orbe and modded it, it would have to be a keeper. That means serious listening and that probably means through my speakers so I have a reference.

I'd have to find someone who has one of these in the UK that I could listen to. I believe that it could be a very serious turntable though.

I'm interested though. Who is this crazy Dane? Does he sell any of these upgrades? Is there any deck out there better at the price? Could I get new covers machined to fit over the suspension thingies?

Maybe I should start by getting a Gyro/Orbe platter/DC motor/upgraded psu as per sideshowbob's recommendations and then wait until I feel the need to upgrade.

Or, could he upgrade my Mycro? I'd certainly go for that.

Thanks guys.

7_V, Mar 14, 2004
  11. 7_V

SimonConnell

So, all in all, if I got a Gyro or Orbe and modded it, it would have to be a keeper. That means serious listening and that probably means through my speakers so I have a reference.

I'd have to find someone who has one of these in the UK that I could listen to. I believe that it could be a very serious turntable though.

And therein lies your problem - you'll have to mail him and ask him if anyone in the UK has brought the mods from him, and then either entice that person to visit you with the TT, or take over their living room with your speakers for a day, both of which are fairly serious 'I owe you a case of single malt' type of things :)

I'm interested though. Who is this crazy Dane? Does he sell any of these upgrades? Is there any deck out there better at the price? Could I get new covers machined to fit over the suspension thingies?

You need to go a read the whole site. Covers are available, but apparently the muck the sound up. The Dane sells the whole shebang from the website. As regarding a better deck at the price, like the whole of audio it's a highly personal thing, some would prefer the euphonic colourations of an LP12, and I know if I was spending that sort of money I'd be tempted to go down the Martin Bastin Garrard route - you pays yer money and you takes yer choice :D

Maybe I should start by getting a Gyro/Orbe platter/DC motor/upgraded psu as per sideshowbob's recommendations and then wait until I feel the need to upgrade.

That's definitely a very good option, you'd be very silly to get one and getit modified immediately, because then you've got no reference on which to base the upgrades.

Or, could he upgrade my Mycro? I'd certainly go for that.

Possibly some of the modifications can be done, I'd get in touch and ask him. All I'd say though is you're limiting the level the sound can 'rise' to, beause the Mycro is soncially inferior to the Gyro.
    Simon

SimonConnell, Mar 15, 2004
  12. 7_V

Good points, Simon.

I've emailed Mr. Pedersen, asking about my Mycro. I'll wait to see what he says.

Your comments about the Mycro being inferior to the Gyro are interesting and of course true. However, the Mycro has the same platter as the Gyro Mk 2 and it has an inverted bearing, though smaller than the Gyro's. I don't know how inferior the sub-chassis is and the motor/psu could (perhaps) be changed. So I wonder how inferior a modded Mycro would be to a modded Gyro.

Michell's Photo Gallery

7_V, Mar 15, 2004
  13. 7_V

el spanner tut

pedersens' gyro

7 V

Did you get the upgrade done? If so how much of an improvement was it (if any)

I am curious as I am seriously thinking about it.

el spanner, Oct 2, 2005
  14. 7_V

No. Unfortunately the mods aren't available for my Mycro but please let me know if you decide to do anything in this direction.

Welcome to the forum. :)

7_V, Oct 2, 2005
  15. 7_V

jrmanders

I friend of mine bought my Orbe (AC) off me when I bought my SME model 20. When he heard the SME he decided that he had to do something so he took the plunge and went for the petersen mods because he couldn't afford the 20. So he sent the Orbe to Denmark.
    We then compared the two decks and I must say I was quite surprised. It still retained the Orbe's strengths but with the extra stability the SME does so well. So all in all a positive result.

jrmanders, Oct 2, 2005
  16. 7_V

el spanner tut

Hi all

Story time

I purchased my gyro way back in 1990. It was always a little bit clinical sounding but being a bit lazy I couldn't be bothered going throughthe hassle of selling and then buying a new TT.
    A short while back the AC motor started getting noisy and looked like it was on its last legs so I got the OL DC motor. This was a big improvement. Getting the vinyl bug again I thought I would get the pedersen armboard upgrade (using an OL RB300).
    Again further improvement, it sounds really involving now .
    Next I swapped the dc100 motor for the top range dc200 motor. Don't know how good this is as I haven't received it yet.
    I am thinking about the full pedersen upgrade but am a little put off by the complexity but I want to extract every last bit of performance from the deck.
    Which is why I am keen to hear anyone else's views on it.

Thanks

By the way my novel about going down the Coop will be available nexy week.

el spanner, Oct 2, 2005
  17. 7_V

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

SteveC, Oct 2, 2005
  18. 7_V

darrylfunk

darrylfunk, Oct 3, 2005
  19. 7_V

NRG

Steve I am about 15mins away from you in Gt Missenden, if you want to listen to a Gyro SE with Orbe platter and NC DC supply then you're more than welcome.

NRG, Oct 3, 2005
  20. 7_V

Hey NRG, that sounds like a plan. I've sent you a PM.

7_V, Oct 3, 2005
Ask a Question