Persian HiFi Blog

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by amir, Jun 21, 2006.

1. amir

amir

Hi
    may be you are from iran, and if you know farsi you can visit my blog at :
    http://hifi.blogfa.com
    try to write english in future
    Amir

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2006
    amir, Jun 21, 2006
  2. amir

joel Shaman of Signals

Don't know about audio, but I'm definitely a Persian musicophile! Any suggestions?

joel, Jun 21, 2006
  3. amir

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

Hi Amir,

My father is Persian but I can't speak or read Farsi I'm afraid (English mother). Also, half my family speak Azeri, so learning Farsi would only solve half my problem! My Persian music collection is limited to Sharjarian.

I'll bookmark your blog and will have to leave the translation to Babelfish!

Rgds,
    DT

Dynamic Turtle, Jun 21, 2006
  4. amir

ditton happy old soul

perhaps we should open up a 'world music' section, and encourage ZG'ers from outwith the UK to give some pointers to what we little islanders are missing.

altho there is then a risk that it would give me free rein to go in for some revivalist folk music from these shores.

ditton, Jun 21, 2006
  5. amir

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Amir - I can only think of Touraj and Toufan Moghdam (the guys behind Roksan). No doubt there are many others though.

I-S, Jun 21, 2006
  6. amir

auric FOSS

Stern's has three pages of music from Persia / Iran (you see most if you search using "Iran"), is this a fair representation of music from Iran? Do you have any recomendations for people in the UK?

auric, Jun 21, 2006
  7. amir

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

the best idea we've had in ages?

Quite possibly!

bottleneck, Jun 21, 2006
  8. amir

amir

shajarian
    lotfi
    meshkatian
    alizadeh
    kamkar brothers

in persian classic music they are leaders

amir, Jun 22, 2006
  9. amir

amir

good idea
    but i don't think learning farsi be hard for you

amir, Jun 22, 2006
  10. amir

amir

i know two dealer(mr.adib khavari & mr.mamaghani) in germany in hifi market but i don't know any brand that their manager be a persian man.

amir, Jun 22, 2006
  11. amir

amir

i don't know any store in out of iran but the best store in iran is beethovenmc

amir, Jun 22, 2006
  12. amir

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

Personally, I'd be extremely apprehensive about recommending music from other countries/cultures. A lot of the time, it simply doesn't rub. Country & Western for example - always hated it, and that is sung in English and uses western composition and instruments mostly. Something as completely different as Sharjarian would come as a shock to the senses for an Englishman and would no doubt prove a difficult listen, just as I find C&W and Far Eastern singers (in general) jarring and uncomfortable to listen to.

I find listening to GOOD "world music" tough for an entire album (i.e. Ladysmith).

Would defintely have to download clips to see if they're your cup of tea before buying.

DT

Of course you have to remember that the mad mullah's have their own doctrine when it comes to acceptable "taste" in music, and I can't help but think that the (historically rich & influential) Persian music has been strangled & stiffled somewhat over the last 27 years. AFAIK things are improving now, but a lot of damage has already been done :(

Dynamic Turtle, Jun 22, 2006
  13. amir

ditton happy old soul

I attended some concerts of Korean Oh music - very different. I think we have to open our ears a bit.

then there is Sufi / Quali praise song, Apallachian roots, and much more.

a shock perhaps, but hey.

I'm not familiar with the impact of 'authorities' upon 'native music', wherever that occurs there can be a risk that the 'arts' are put to religious or political purpose [as they say "why should the devil have all the best tunes?"] - but I'd drop the reference to another religion's leaders being 'mad' as I dont think that helps and may upset

ditton, Jun 22, 2006
  14. amir

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

iTunes actually has several shajarian albums and samples to listen to, for example. I don't have many references points for this, but it reminded me of Andalusian music from Spain, a recording that illustrates the Moorish influence.

SteveC, Jun 23, 2006
Ask a Question