Petition for High Definition Music Downloads.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by sometimesuk, Nov 11, 2012.

1. sometimesuk

sometimesuk

Hi,

I hope this isn’t again the House Rules, but I've decided to create a petition to try and get Record Labels attention as to the demand for High Definition Music downloads

http://www.change.org/petition...ion-music-downloads#

The reason why I’m doing this is because I’m really annoyed there is nowhere to download mainstream music in high definition. There are a few sites with classical music on or obscure music, but this is not what the majority of people want to listen to, and it’s not the music that I want to listen to either.

Forget arguments that the majority of people are happy with MP3 music for the minute. I genuinely think if the option was there for people, they would use it. I also think that this a classic example of how Record Labels are completely out of touch and don’t have any vision, just look at how slow they have been to make legal digital music downloads available.

I believe that this is a perfect opportunity for Record Labels to get with the times, by giving people what they want (albeit small market at the moment) and for them to make some money along the way (which isn’t a bad thing).

If you agree, please sign my petition. Thanks

sometimesuk, Nov 11, 2012
  2. sometimesuk

Sergeauckland

Whilst I don't disagree with your petition, I would be quite happy if record companies made their downloads available at standard 16/44.1 resolution. That is quite enough for transparency, so anything over that is, to me, overkill and rather pointless.

If the record companies don't see it's necessary even to provide FLAC or ALAC at 16/44.1, I don't see any chance of HD downloads except for niche products as already exist.

Apple, with their iTunes could very easily provide downloads as ALAC, but they clearly don't see it's worth their while.

S.

Sergeauckland, Nov 11, 2012
  3. sometimesuk

RobHolt Moderator

No Problem with the petition, though I'd agree with Serge that 16/44.1 would be absolutely fine and better than is currently widely available.

Also I suspect a spin-off from any move to 'high definition' downloads is likely to result in us getting better quality masters, and that's the real benefit IMO.

There was talk in Apple press releases last year that the company were considering such a move, though at 24 bit which is overkill for general distribution IMO as it just gums-up the download speeds for no tangible benefit. Just give us access to the ALAC files as an option.

RobHolt, Nov 12, 2012
  4. sometimesuk

sometimesuk

The whole point in the petition is to demand for better, not just offering downloads, for downloads sake.

16Bit downloads offers no benefit over what is already available. Someone could just buy the CD, rip it, and then bin it.

We've been waiting long enough, its about time people were offered something better.

As regards Apple moving to 24Bit, don't underestimate their ability to drag people onto the "new, next big thing". I'm sure they would advertise it as such and people will follow. Surely this has to be a good thing, as it would make it main stream and who knows, may reintroduce people into the benefits for having a decent hifi system at home.

sometimesuk, Nov 12, 2012
  5. sometimesuk

Tenson Moderator

Most downloads are not even CD quality. Spotify is 320Kbs Vob and Apple I think is 190Kbs standard? I'd like to see it all available in Apple Lossless at 16Bit/44.1KHz or FLAC or similar.

The problem is, CD quality is obviously capable of great results but we aren't getting anywhere near it because the mastering is a pile of shit. High-res shit mastering is still shit.

IME even lossy compression like 190Kbs MP3 can sound very good with a decent dynamic recording. Lossy compression doesn't tend to like heavily compressed and clipping music.

Tenson, Nov 12, 2012
  6. sometimesuk

RobHolt Moderator

I think Apple iTunes is now 256k.

Interestingly I have a smattering of albums bought from iTunes in my library and keep them in my play list when visiting others. The tracks in question are particularly well mastered and they always attract positive comments. Nobody ever comments that these are using lossy compression. They always assume the tracks are taken from a well mastered CD.

Things are getting better slowly.
    Spotify is at 320k, BBC R3 is now at 320k 'HD' and some of the small labels like Linn records stream radio at 320k.

The next logical jump from here is the wider availability of lossless compression.

RobHolt, Nov 13, 2012
  7. sometimesuk

sometimesuk

8. sometimesuk

RobHolt Moderator

Thanks,

Signed and twittered.

RobHolt, Nov 14, 2012
  9. sometimesuk

sometimesuk

All the spelling error has now been corrected, Labels not Lables!

sometimesuk, Nov 14, 2012
  10. sometimesuk

Sergeauckland

Sorry. but compression in music has nothing to do with bit rates. If you mean data compression, then the petition needs rewording to make that clear.

I'm perfectly happy to sign a petition asking record companies not to compress their music to the extent they do, I'm also happy to sign a petition asking record companies to provide HD, or even SD files with no data compression, but just asking for HD files of horribly compressed music seems rather pointless.

S.

Sergeauckland, Nov 15, 2012
  11. sometimesuk

sometimesuk

I totally agree with you, which is why I've decided to create a facebook group to act as a focal point and to explain in more detail the thought behind the petition.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/463034807076103/

There is a detailed explanation there!

sometimesuk, Nov 15, 2012
  12. sometimesuk

sometimesuk

UPDATE:

After listening to the peoples comments on various forums the petition title has been changed to:

“Stop the loudness wars and release High Definition Music Downloads”

Petition Link: http://www.change.org/petitions/stop-the-loudness-wars-and-release-high-definition-music-downloads

Facebook Group: http://www.facebook.com/groups/463034807076103/

I had emailed all those who signed the petition for comment before doing so.

Please note that while many would like to see a fundamental change within the industry so that no record is heavily compressed, this is not realistic as no doubt the record labels / retailers would argue that many people prefer the music “louder” (Even though we may fundamentally disagree).

Instead the petition focus would be for record labels and retailers to offer uncompressed downloads alongside the “mainstream offering” in the download market in both 16 Bit & 24 Bit format. It’s not realistic to expect an uncompressed CD to be brought to market alongside the “normal” version.

My personal opinion is that if a new product market is created the focus should be on 24 Bit downloads and advertised as “the best”, as even modestly priced equipment is able to playback 24 Bit files and it’s also important for the industry to move forward.

If you agree and haven’t already done so, please sign the petition and ask your friends to do so too.

If change is ever going to happen then we need people’s participation. Thanks

sometimesuk, Nov 20, 2012
  13. sometimesuk

sometimesuk

I have been asked by a few people what my objective is with the petition and what I’m I going to do with it, for clarification my broad intentions are below. Bear in mind, it’s still very early days, which is why I intent to use the facebook group as a place to take on board peoples suggestions and advice.

Objective: To raise the issue of compression and availability of high quality downloads with major record labels and online retailers

When: Once I / others (facebook group) believe that the petition has reached its peak, or has reached a number that I believe would warrant notice, ideally between 2000 – 3000 people.

How: By letter to each of the major record labels and online retailers. The letter would bring to their attention the petition and ask them to take into consideration our views and ask them for comments (future plans etc).

I plan on using the facebook group to communicate draft versions of any final letter, to accompany the petition letter for people to comment on and who to write to. I will them email all those who signed the petition before it gets sent for comment.

sometimesuk, Nov 21, 2012
  14. sometimesuk

sometimesuk

sometimesuk, Nov 24, 2012
Ask a Question