Phantom Power to old AKG C408 microphones

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by ivanizi, Mar 1, 2019.

1. ivanizi

ivanizi

Hi There,

I have a number of these mics which have am 1/8" (mono) jack on the end of the cable. I used to use them for live performance on my drums with an Italian made mixer which seemed to deliver the phantom power to the mics. I have just tried them in my studio and the signal from the mixer is too noisy. I would also prefer to plug the mics directly into my A/D unit which has phantom power.

Does anyone know how I can rewire these - perhaps with an XLR adapter to work directly with the phantom power on my recording hardware?

Any tips appreciated!

Ivan

ivanizi, Mar 1, 2019
  2. ivanizi

Arkless Electronics

I believe that if you need to use these without their own battery powering them then you need a XLR phantom power adaptor form AKG.

Arkless Electronics, Oct 13, 2019
  3. ivanizi

ivanizi

I have since learned that the C408 run on 1V phantom power - not 48V which is the standard these days. If you plug it into a regular phantom power the mics are likely to blow.

ivanizi, Oct 14, 2019
  4. ivanizi

Arkless Electronics

They are an electret condenser mic rather than a "true" condenser mic and yes they can be powered from as little as 1V (often up to 9V or so can be used with slightly improved results in some models). An adaptor is available which allows them to be plugged into a 48V phantom powered mic socket and reduces it to a Volt or two for the C408.

Arkless Electronics, Oct 14, 2019
  5. ivanizi

ivanizi

Thank you for the information. I'd love to find such an adapter - any ideas?

ivanizi, Oct 14, 2019
  6. ivanizi

Arkless Electronics

When I googled it they seemed to come with the mic... contact AKG maybe?

Arkless Electronics, Oct 14, 2019
Ask a Question