Phase polarity

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Purite Audio, Dec 12, 2006.

1. Purite Audio

Snoo

To properly reverse the polarity of the Nuetron flow you have to cross the DAC streams. ;)

Snoo, Dec 15, 2006
  2. Purite Audio

zanash

zanash, Dec 15, 2006
  3. Purite Audio

rollo

When you gents sit down and listen next time and the bass seems out of focus and female voice is a tad to sibilant flip the phase switch Listen again and you should hear a differnce.
    The sheffield test record is a great tool for this .We use this disc for speaker set up with great sucess.
    Anybody in the recording industry out there to clarify or debate the manf. process of CD's and there absolute phase.I believe thier is some talk on this subject on the Hagerman site.Now put down down that pint and really LISTEN.
    May the phase be with you rollo

P.S. the Hagerman site can be found on AudioCircle

rollo, Dec 15, 2006
  4. Purite Audio

Tenson Moderator

That really does sound like 'out of phase' not absolute phase... Especially in the bass I find it hard to believe there was any difference with absolute phase since bass is generally a pretty simple waveform.

I just tried the absolute phase test on the Chesky CD and I can’t tell any difference. They even used a solo trumpet which should have quite an asymmetrical waveform.

My speakers also happen to be a point source and have a perfect phase response from 250Hz up. What is the point of switching absolute phase when a lot of speakers don’t even manage relative phase between drivers at Xover.. even on-axis!

Tenson, Dec 15, 2006
  5. Purite Audio

rollo

Phase

I suggest that we contact D. Chesky and ask him why he insists his recordings are produced in phase.I guess its because they sound BETTER.I'm not tech. qualified to answer that question
    Cheers rollo

rollo, Dec 15, 2006
  6. Purite Audio

Tenson Moderator

I don't think they or you can say that it sounds 'better' in correct absolute phase as unless they go and check that all the microphones produce a positive voltage output for a positive pressurisation of the air and then make sure that not one piece of electronics equipment they pass the signal though inverts the phase (or they invert again afterwards) and that their speakers produce a positive pressurisation of the air for a positive voltage when monitoring... then I really don't see how Mr. Chesky will know if his Cds are recorded with correct absolute phase or not.

Also I suspect when you have more than one of the same instrument playing at the same time it will be even harder to tell absolute phase as I think it would probably lessen the asymmetric nature of the waveform. Now which way is 'up'? I’m just thinking out loud here.

Thats the reason why there is an absolute phase switch, because you really can't tell what is correct and what is not. Just flip it and listen to what you like more. If indeed you think it sounds any different at all, which I don't... even with a trumpet and phase perfect point source speakers.

Tenson, Dec 15, 2006
  7. Purite Audio

rollo

Tenson,
    Well said got your point.The reason I mentioned Chesky is that he is anal on this subject.I will contact him and maybe he could give his opinion on this matter.Hearing a difference may be subjective,however the recording process is critical in maintaining correct phase.I just wonder how he manages it in his works.
    If he responds I'll post it.Gave you gents something to play with.Having fun yet.
    rollo

rollo, Dec 16, 2006
  8. Purite Audio

Tenson Moderator

Intersting. I did wonder quite how far he took his 'audiophile' recordings. As you say, if he gets back to you post it up.

Tenson, Dec 16, 2006
  9. Purite Audio

zanash

good point .....I'd just say polarity a and its opposite polarity x..

Chesky have just called them something......though may be that they have checked right back to the inital source ..who knows.

zanash, Dec 16, 2006
Ask a Question