Phono / headphone usage

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by chrisB1, Dec 1, 2010.

1. chrisB1

chrisB1

Ok - I know this post is going to expose my complete technical ignorance, but here goes anyway !

Just purchased a Roksan Caspian integrated to upgrade from my old Arcam Alpha 2.
    The Roksan does not have a phono stage or headphone socket, so was wondering (since the second hand value of my Arcam is probably small), if it is possible to use the Arcam as a phono amp &/or headphone amp, rather than buying dedicated units ?
    If so, how would I interconnect the two units to achieve this ?

Thanks guys,

Chris
    PS. Very happy with the Roksan !

chrisB1, Dec 1, 2010
  2. chrisB1

nando nando

pm sent.

nando, Dec 2, 2010
  3. chrisB1

RobHolt Moderator

To use the Arcam as a headphone stage, run an interconnect between the 'tape out' on the Roksan into any line input on the Arcam. The Arcam will then drive headphones and you can use its volume control.

To use as phone stage, run a cable between the 'tape out' on the Arcam into any line input on the Roksan.

If the Roksan lacks tape out sockets it might have other fixed line outputs for use with AV etc and you can use those.

Ultimately you would need dedicated phono and phones stages.
    Musical Fidelity do two brilliant little units in their V range. These are small, high performance and only cost around £100-£120 each. Small enough to be tucked away.

RobHolt, Dec 2, 2010
  4. chrisB1

chrisB1

Thanks guys.

Chris

chrisB1, Dec 2, 2010
  5. chrisB1

chrisB1

Rob,

Forgot to ask, when using the Arcam as phono stage / headphone amp, as my speakers are now connected to the Roksan do I need to connect a load to the speaker terminals ? Thanks.

Chris

chrisB1, Dec 6, 2010
  6. chrisB1

RobHolt Moderator

Hi Chris,

No, not necessary with the Arcam and vast majority of solid state amplifiers.

Required with many valve amps as the unloaded transformers force the output stage tubes to work out of spec.

RobHolt, Dec 7, 2010
  7. chrisB1

chrisB1

Thanks again Rob.

Chris

chrisB1, Dec 7, 2010
  8. chrisB1

chrisB1

Connected up as advised & vinyls sound good - would I really get a noticeable improvement by having a 'proper' external phono stage ?
    Anyway, just realised I can't use the 'Tape out' socket on the Caspian for headphone usage as it is being utilised for my Yamaha HDD/CD player / recorder.
    I have two other 'pre out' sockets - could I use one of them ? (nervous of just plugging in & trying, in case I bugger something up!)
    Failing that, any other suggestions without getting behind the amp & swopping plugs over ?
    I guess I'll have the same problem if I buy a dedicated headphone amp - nowhere to plug it in !

Thanks,

Chris

chrisB1, Dec 15, 2010
  9. chrisB1

RobHolt Moderator

Hi Chris,

Yes you can use pre out on the Caspian but be aware the volume control will be in operation, unlike tape where the output is fixed. Nothing will blow up.

As for improving the phono stage, there is an automatic assumption that external and also expensive units are better bu this should be taken with a pinch of salt.
    As with digital, the electronics required for an excellent phono circuit are not expensive and don't need to be complex. I've not used your specific amp but Arcam have been building good phono sections into amplifiers for many years (30+) so it should perform to a good standard.

RobHolt, Dec 15, 2010
  10. chrisB1

chrisB1

Cheers again Rob.

Was I correct in my assumption that an external headphone amp would also have to be plugged into the 'tape out' sockets ?

Chris

chrisB1, Dec 15, 2010
Ask a Question