phono or valve pre

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by dreemer, Feb 28, 2005.

1. dreemer

dreemer

as i wait with nervous anticipation the result of the valve amp bake offs and the reports from bristol i have a question about pre stages.

i currently run a dino + which is a fine bit of kit. i have considered an NC upgrade but i think this may be the classic sideways upgrade. the thing is, i will very shortly be getting what i hope will be a valve amp of some description. i dont have any sort of quality CDP or tuner but do value my vinyl front end.
    i am hoping to get a set of MA gr10's or silver 6's so bass will be punchy if a little light.
    is the dino going to become an extravagance that can be moved out of the way (freeing up some funds) with a decent pre/power or int set up.
    sorry if this seems a tad ambiguous, i know little about valves so i wish to tap some knowledge

dreemer, Feb 28, 2005
  2. dreemer

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

IME you are no more/less likely to get a good phono stage with a valve pre than you are with a solid state pre.

I do think there are plenty of pre's out there you could get with an excellent phono stage on the used and new markets.

EAR, audio research and conrad johnson all tend to have pretty decent phono stages in them if you are looking at a valve pre..

bottleneck, Feb 28, 2005
Ask a Question