phono stage or step up transformer?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by JackOTrades, Jul 19, 2006.

1. JackOTrades

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

OK, thanks GJO ;)

Dynamic Turtle, Aug 29, 2006
  2. JackOTrades

JackOTrades

Absolutely, Paul, I am on my little quest at the moment of trying a few head to head.

I did not intend to offend anyone when I posted my opinions on the stages I heard so far. They are what they are, just my opinions and they are strictly bound to my listening taste and my setup (and I did mention this when I spoke about them!). So if anyone felt hurt by my comments, please remember that my comments were framed by the caveat that it is to my ears, and in my room/system. No generalisation!

Agreed. If I can avoid more boxes, cables, psus, I will happilly do that!

Thanks, this is very interesting and useful!

Again, thanks for the kind offer. I will PM you if I can come up (I unfortunately travel a lot with work). I will also try to source a few more stages to compare, including MF's own XLPSv3 (it may gel with my amp, who knows?)...

Thanks a lot for all your help.
    Jack

JackOTrades, Aug 30, 2006
  3. JackOTrades

70sman

wm? you mean tom evans is a druggie?

any stepups from established makers will beat the stock ear's, they are very poor sounding.

70sman, Sep 2, 2006
  4. JackOTrades

Chris

I have just installed a NOS Audio Technica AT-650 SUT, set at 40 ohms, between my Denon 103Pro and my Black Cube SE (now set to MM) and after just 1 LP side it certainly sounds more interesting and to my ears to have "higher highs and tighter bass". Time will tell

Chris, Sep 2, 2006
  5. JackOTrades

Paul L vinyl and valves mostly

Against external step ups, I agree. Against many other phono stages, I don't.

Paul L, Sep 2, 2006
Ask a Question