Phono stage

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by white-socks, Aug 20, 2009.

1. white-socks

white-socks

I'm planning and saving up to buy a separate phono stage to enjoy my vinyl even better. My budget is around £300-800, also I don't mind buying 2nd too.

My deck is a Roksan Xerxes MK1 with a Rega R200.
    Cartridge is an Audio Technica AT-440mla (Great cartridge)
    Amp is a Quad 405 poweramp, Quad 44 pre, TDL speakers. The Quad 44 has a nice sounding built in phono stage I must say.

As my Quad amplification is warm and dynamic sounding, would something like a Roksan phono stage be ideal? As Roksan tends to have a nice musical sound with some brightness.

And just to say my Quad amp and pre makes a very nice combination with the Roksan Xerxes.

I am open to all your advice, and I am aware different taste and opinions will take a role. Don't worry.

Cheers.

white-socks, Aug 20, 2009
  2. white-socks

stereotype

You might save £285 by getting some Kontak.

stereotype, Aug 20, 2009
  3. white-socks

nando nando

project make very good phono stages, also going cheap are m.f. v8 phono stages,
    nando.

nando, Aug 20, 2009
  4. white-socks

vincula

Wow, that's a very good budget! I basically agree with you, the Quad stage is a peach. Not the last word in detail retrieval, but hugely musical. The Pro-jects aren't better than that. Your money could buy you a better one.
    Personally I like the Whest Two phono stage, a dual mono construction, MM/MC, internally adjustable, a steal at £650. I like the Heed Audio ones, Sudgen, Tom Evans...

http://www.soundhifi.com/phonostage.html

Try a home loan if possible or at least go out and listen for yourself. Shop around. It's fun! Just don't buy on mere recommendations and reviews.

If you happen to like any of the products carried by the above-mentioned dealer, PM me. He'll give you 10% discount and most likely free-delivery as well on British soil. Not to me :( !

I'm NOT A DEALER nor his personal friend!

Nice set-up, by the way :)

Regards,

Vincula

vincula, Aug 20, 2009
  5. white-socks

white-socks

Vincula,

Thanks, it is a nice set up and I agree with the Quad phono stage being musical sounding.

I get the funny feeling a Roksan phono stage might go very nicely with my set up? As Roksan have good dynamics and musical insight, also Roksan can be a bit bright, lively and forward sounding.
    So this should mix nicely with my Quad gear.

I've also been looking at the new Quad valve phono stage, not to sure about it, but it looks nice.

At the moment I don't have the time to go out and listen to a phono stage. But i'll continue to do some research on them for now. (I'm not in a rush to buy a phono stage just yet)

Shane

6. white-socks

vincula

White-socks,
    I don't know about the Roksan, but if you're onto a more rhythmical sounding foot-tapping thing with huge adjustment flexibility, then go for a Trichord Phono stage. Nice and upgradable.
    If you think the AT 440 Mla sounds a little bright sometimes, you may try to load it down to 32 ohms in order to tame the top end. Not a problem with the Quad MM-stage now, but maybe later on...
    As for valve phono stages, you may consider a MM-stage only and adding step-up's tailored to an LOMC of your choice. The Pure Sound P10's been well-reviewed, created by Guy Sergeant, the guru behind the Audio Innovations one.

Regards,

Vincula

Regards,

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2009
    vincula, Aug 20, 2009
  7. white-socks

white-socks

The AT-440mla is a bright sounding cartridge but it doesn't bother me. Plus my amps are warm sounding so it tames down the brightness a little. GOOD MATCH!!!!

Regards

Regards

8. white-socks

stereotype

You don't have a clue
    What your kit can do
    Til you clean off the kack
    With a bottle o' Kontak

W Shakespeare

stereotype, Aug 20, 2009
  9. white-socks

vincula

LOL :MILD:

Sure the AT's a good match white-socks, especially considering your arm too, though it's still a budget cart. I just wanted to point out what it might happen if you want to move from the Quad! Thus my recommendation for a serious audition.

If you're not the type that fiddles with loading, carts and arms swapping and the like, and since you seem to enjoy the Quad, go for a valve stage! Buy yourself an EAR 834P by Tim de Paravicini and be a happy man for years to come ;)!

Until you start tube-rolling...he he.

Regards,

Vincula

vincula, Aug 20, 2009
  10. white-socks

white-socks

I'm toooooooo happy with my Quad gear, plus they have been modified.
    If I was to change my poweramp/pre, I would go for the latest Quad amp, I think it's the quad 909 and the 99 preamp. I must say the Quads new valve amps look nice:jig:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2009
  11. white-socks

white-socks

:p

12. white-socks

Mark P

In 1984 I used to run a 34 and 405-2 into Tangent XLR2s and then KEF104/2 Refs.

In the early 90's I found the valve phono stage in an Audio Innovations line level stage was much better than the cards in the 34 to my ears.

I now have an Icon PS1 valve phono stage and have to say that I think it's superb. It replaced a Dynavector p75 which was also excellent but I wanted to recapture somtheing of the the valve sound again.

I'd suggest you try a valve stage for something different. Although the Quad cards are cheap enough and if you are good with a soldering iron I think you could get a lot more out of them with a few component changes.

Also, if might well be worth having the Quad serviced by Quad. And possibly putting something towards a new arm the Roksan would be worth it. For your budget you could pick up a 2nd hand Roksan Nima and a 2nd hand valve phono stage like a Icon PS1 or a Pure Sound p10 (they're quite different) or even a Dynavector p75.

I also modified my 405-2. There are two or three fairly simple modifications you can do which really improve things.

Let us know how you get on.

Mark P, Aug 20, 2009
  13. white-socks

white-socks

Soon I will like to get my Rega R200 rewired, might send it to j7 to get this job done. If I had the money I would get a Roksan Artemiz tonearm:D

Anyway anyway, but I am very happy with my Rega R200 tonearm, very musical and fun to listen too. But soon I think i'll get it rewired for the better, I think this arm has lots of potential.

The prev owner of my Quad 44 sent to Quad for a service back in 2007, so it's in good working shape. Plus my Quad 405 had been modifed by a Quad enthusiast, sometimes I fancy trying the Net Audio upgrade but that can be done later.

14. white-socks

white-socks

Bought a Roksan Corus Black cartridge for my father. As he also owns an Xerxes with a Tabriz arm, upgraded to the Zi specs. And it has the Intelligent Counterweight. Nice piece of kit.

white-socks, Aug 21, 2009
  15. white-socks

Noel Winters

you could try Tom Evans Audio Design Microgrove PLUS. i have
    one very good for the money. Lots better if you are a big spender go for a Manley Steelhead. Noel W.

Noel Winters, Aug 21, 2009
  16. white-socks

RobHolt Moderator

A valve stage is a good idea especially as you are using a MM cartridge. The little 44 phono cards are very good though, as are the ones for the 34.

Just bought a nice 405-2 tonight, not quite sure why though!
    I see a Quad museum forming :)

RobHolt, Aug 21, 2009
  17. white-socks

anon_bb Honey Badger

Get a psaudio GCPH - cullen modified. It allows you to go direct to the power amp as it has an inbuilt volume control and this makes a huge difference. It has about the same general ability as the TEAD MG+ used just as a phono but direct to a power amp beats a groove / vibe into the same power amp. Cutting out one stage of your system if you can will bring bigger benefits then improving existing components. Even the best preamp causes significant sonic degradation so its better to do without if you can.

anon_bb, Aug 21, 2009
  18. white-socks

white-socks

Cool, are you going to use your 405-2 with the ESL57? And what are you going to do with your 306?

i've been looking at Quad's new Valve phono stage, looks drop dead sexy. Don't know how it will match with my system though? Be nice to borrow a Quad valve phono stage.

Plus, I'm very tempted about the Roksan phono stage too.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2009
  19. white-socks

YNMOAN Trade - AudioFlat

Is that a recent purchase then - last I remember he had a Project TT?

YNMOAN, Aug 21, 2009
  20. white-socks

white-socks

Yes it's a recent perchase. He sold the project TT. The Xerxes sounds much better IMHO.

Ask a Question