Phono stage

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by anon_bb, Mar 22, 2006.

1. anon_bb

anon_bb Honey Badger

What are the contenders for worlds best phono stage at any price?

Second question - who can bring one over for me to compare with the Borb. ;)

anon_bb, Mar 22, 2006
  2. anon_bb

Stereo Mic

Kondo KSL IO-J/KSL SF-Z/KSL M7 which has held me transfixed, and apparently the Connoiseur 4-2 which Joel has heard I believe.

You'd have to speak to the UK distributors for demos, but prices range from £12K to £30K so you might want to consider the law of diminishing returns first.

Stereo Mic, Mar 22, 2006
  3. anon_bb

anon_bb Honey Badger

I have heard the kondo - it was nice. However that may be damning with faint praise. The 4.2 sounds interesting.

What do you think "I" would like best cost no object?

anon_bb, Mar 22, 2006
  4. anon_bb

RobHolt Moderator

Nick, What are you looking for in the new stage?
    Anything in particular or do you believe that perfection can exist in a single phono stage ?

I'm not sure that 'best' and 'cost no object' need go together. There is much to be said for simplicity in a phono stage and given the components required it really needn't cost a fortune IMHO.

Rob.

RobHolt, Mar 22, 2006
  5. anon_bb

anon_bb Honey Badger

I agree with that statement whole heartedly. I dont see why a phono stage shouldnt do verything well. ;)

I am looking for a list of phonos I should audition as a "final solution".

anon_bb, Mar 22, 2006
  6. anon_bb

RobHolt Moderator

I doubt that such a device exists.
    Every cartridge requires specific loading in order to work to the optimum and while it is possible to build such flexibility into a phono stage the extra complexity will negate some of the benefits.

Take very low impedance cartridges like the AN and some of the Lyra designs. These perform particularly well into a transformer based stage which correctly loads the cartridge. Matching impedance needs to be precise if the cartridge is to meet the design spec.

The best phono stage for you will depend on the cartridge used - change the cartridge and you may need to change the stage.
    I ran a Dynavector DV17 until recently and had custom wound transformers made by Sowter. Through the Sowter transformers the DV17 suddenly developed a reasonable amount of slam and weight - something it isn't noted for when fed through most OP amp based stages.

Rob.

RobHolt, Mar 22, 2006
  7. anon_bb

3DSonics away working hard on "it"

Hi,

Depends on exact application and purpose, but among commercial gear the Zanden, matched by Wavac if you only listen to modern repressings and/or use a suitable EQ to compensate the Recording EQ's deviations from nominal RIAA.

Ciao T

PS, I'm not bringing mine.

3DSonics, Mar 23, 2006
  8. anon_bb

Stereo Mic

The Kondo I heard didn't sound nice, just real.

I would upgrade your amps and speakers before seeking to find the ultimate phono stage - I don't think your current ones (for all their strengths) will neccessarily show you what you paid for.

If you want suggestions for sensibly priced references, given that you like rock, you should try the Art Audio Vinyl One Reference.

Stereo Mic, Mar 23, 2006
  9. anon_bb

anon_bb Honey Badger

Hi,

I heard the all kondo system with kuzma front end and living voice speakers. It didnt sound real to me though it was pleasant enough. I liked it less than my current system.

I have purchased some stepups to try with the Borb. I plan to comapre this with the new groove plus and the manley amongst others.

Nick.

anon_bb, Mar 23, 2006
  10. anon_bb

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

I'd want to hear a Manley Steelhead if I had that kind of money.
    The Kondo would be on a short list.
    Zanden is a good call.
    Audio Research do a very good phono stage, but I don't know if its in this league.

I'd probably put the question to the highest of high end dealers to see what I'd be reccomended.

I try to stay away from things I can't afford!!

It would be interesting to find out what is considered to be the best model/s in Germany and Japan.

On more sane budgets, if I had 1,000-1,500 I'd be trying the Lector and Graaf phono stages out first.

bottleneck, Mar 23, 2006
  11. anon_bb

3DSonics away working hard on "it"

Hi,

It is not. I'm not really that convinced by Kondo's latest Phonostages (maybe I need to get one home), his best one was the M10, discontinued too, but better than Wavac and maybe better than Zanden. And it's a full-function preamp of course.

I would declare ex-cathedra that nothing else I have heard comes close to LCR EQ'ed Phonostages.

I'd rather take a pair of OPA637 Op-Amp'd and put a EQ-600 inbetween (and the TX-103 in front, TX-102 passive pre behind) than any other RC equalised Phonostage I heard, no matter from whom (note, I have not heard Jonathan Carr's one, cannot comment on that).

Ciao T

3DSonics, Mar 23, 2006
  12. anon_bb

Joe

Joe, Mar 23, 2006
  13. anon_bb

griffo104

Bear in mind I haven't heard either but based on reviews and comments the 2 best phono amps in world are :
    Boulder 2008 (I think that's the number) and
    Lyra connesieur - I think there is a better one than the 4.2 but it is almost exclusively sold in Japan.

Both silly money.

For serious money (but not silly) - the Art Audio as mentioned above and also the top of the range BAT (again not sure of the model) are both supposed excellent.

griffo104, Mar 23, 2006
  14. anon_bb

murray johnson

phono stage madness

The TEA 9501 from Audio Tekne would have to be a contender. However it is mono so you'd need two and the matching linestage to power it. Certainly the heaviest pre-amp in the world, probably the most expensive.

http://www.audiotekne.com/en/

I've heard one of their little power amps which was very nice. I haven't heard this beast though.

In the real world I enjoy my Audio Innovations P2.

murray johnson, Mar 23, 2006
  15. anon_bb

Tenson Moderator

Well, despite not really having heard many good vinyl systems I have heard the Boulder 2008 and it was extremely clean and dynamic. More so than the few other vinyl systems I have heard, including Titians. Cartridge was a ClearAudio (had a long sticking out stylus, very unprotected).

Tenson, Mar 23, 2006
  16. anon_bb

RobHolt Moderator

Simon, you haven't lived ;)

Rob.

RobHolt, Mar 23, 2006
  17. anon_bb

Tenson Moderator

You guys are so in the past your almost dead :p

Tenson, Mar 23, 2006
  18. anon_bb

Anex Thermionic

Pft! You need to stop worrying about DEQ and get a decent TT ;)

The last Hifi+ has some stuff about the lyra and the KSL bits in. Not sure how much it tells you though to be honest, it was mildly interesting at best. The Lyra is one of the nicest bits of kit I've seen though which is naturally the first concern when buying hifi gear. No lights though.

Anex, Mar 23, 2006
  19. anon_bb

Joe

The Kondo phono amp has valves! Best to buy both really.

Joe, Mar 24, 2006
  20. anon_bb

Anex Thermionic

lol:D Hammer the kondo into the top of the lyra. Surely the ultimate in vinyl replay.

Anex, Mar 24, 2006
Ask a Question