Photoshop help - Red eye

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by MO!, Apr 28, 2005.

1. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Hi.

As a COMPLETE novice to photoshop, any tips on how to correct red eye on pic's?

I read something about using a donut sponge :confused:

But I've no idea how to do this.

Cheers. MO :)

MO!, Apr 28, 2005
  2. MO!

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

I find the easiest way is to lasso the pupil as neatly as you can, then go to adjustments, saturation and hue, select the red channel, and take saturation down to -99 or so.

I-S, Apr 28, 2005
  3. MO!

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

Isn't this now not permitted, thanks to years of namby-pamby do-gooder government and anti-teacher legislation?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2005
    SteveC, Apr 29, 2005
  4. MO!

rsand I can't feel my toes

another way is to select a hard brush that is the same size as the pupil, auto select the highlights of the eyes and isert the selection then just spray the pupils with a darker colour.
    There are many ways to remove re eye in PS including blow it up to pixel level and dot in over the red/brown pixels (most accurate way)... or black out the pupils and manually put in the highlights (this gives a drug user type glassyness to the eyes which is fun if you are a drug user because its difficult not to get red eye with dhialated eyes :)

rsand, Apr 29, 2005
  5. MO!

lordsummit moderate mod

Nope it's still fine so long as you do it on a friday afternoon, and it's used as a warning to all the others :D

In fact I've invented a new game, all the naughty ones have to walk around the playground with mortar boards on their heads, and then the better behaved pupils will throw sticky paper balls at them. When their mortar board registers 5 hits they will be allowed to leave for the weekend.

lordsummit, Apr 29, 2005
  6. MO!

Richard, that could cause problems in the future when they graduate from uni

rsand, Apr 29, 2005
  7. MO!

michaelab desafinado

I usually use Isaac's red channel saturation method. Quick and easy. There are many other ways to do it (search the net and you will find everyone has their own opinion :rolleyes: ) but in 99% of cases they're no better and are a lot more hassle. Many "serious" PS users look down on the auto redeye removal tools that exist in "consumer" photo editing products but TBH most of the time you'd struggle to do a better job manually.

Michael.

michaelab, Apr 29, 2005
  8. MO!

Matt F

I usually use the magic wand tool to highlight the required area - at least I think that's what it's called - it's the one that selects all pixels of a certain colour around the area you click. If you keep either shift or control pressed you can keep clicking around the area to pick up all the red/dark red pixels. Often, on a bad case of red eye the magic wand selects the whole read area (minus the white highlight) in one go.

You then adjust the levels - I think I normally bring the brightness level under hue and saturation right down.

Matt.

Matt F, Apr 29, 2005
  9. MO!

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

The advantage of the saturation method is that it maintains the original highlight.

I-S, Apr 29, 2005
  10. MO!

Matt F

Ah but the magic wand selection technique doesn't select the highlight so that remains as it was.

Matt.

Matt F, Apr 29, 2005
  11. MO!

The auto select tool is a bit rough and often leaves a halo

rsand, Apr 29, 2005
Ask a Question