Pioneer S701

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Tenson, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Tenson

Tenson Moderator

Well my Pioneer S701 (eBay) which I was planning to use as a transport just arrived in the post. Broken. Fook!

I powered it up and opened the draw to find the lens from the laser just sitting there on the platter!

It was posted using Parcel Force 48hour.. it cost £15 (rip off for the weight) and they still broke it!

Okay I just wanted to get that off my chest I feel better now! :)

Tenson, Mar 23, 2005
  2. Tenson

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

OUCH! Was it insured???

I think Pioneer can still service these, can't they? Give them a ring - it could be worth a shot...

ParcelFarce SUCK!

domfjbrown, Mar 24, 2005
  3. Tenson

Effem Cable manufacturer

Unfortunately the Pioneer fixed platter decks have a propensity for shedding the laser lens during transport - I've had at least 6 now that have done it.

It's not too tricky a job to put it back into place. On top of the transport is 3 large screws each surrounded by a rubber grommet. Remove these 3 screws and flit the top of the transport onto it's 'back' (you may have to temporarily remove the flexible ribbon cable to do this).

Before you start putting the lens back into place clean it thoroughly and then do not handle it with your fingers from then on, use a tissue instead.

The lens is on a delicate mounting so be very careful how you handle it. Note there sometimes is a small 'peg' on the lens which has to fit into a slot on the holder. Apply a TINY drop of pritt stick or other non hardening glue in MINUTE amounts to several points inside the outer ring in the lens holder and pop the lens back in, making doubly sure you haven't got glue onto the lens. Reassemble the transport again (remembering of course to reconnect the ribbon cable) and pop a CD in to try it.

Most times that's all needed to get it going again, but if that lens isn't a snug fit in the holder it will not read the disc because the focussing has all gone to pot. Strip it down again and recheck the lens is seated correctly - this is where non hardening glue pays off and will eventually harden enough to hold the lens permanently in 24 hours or so.

HTH

Effem, Mar 24, 2005
  4. Tenson

Tenson Moderator

It seemed to me the lens had actually been smashed out. It had jagged edges around it and a few minute shards of glass were also on the platter.

The kind gentleman I bought it from has refunded my money even including the postage costs to me and back to him. Who says you don't get good service on ebay!?

Anyway I will pass your suggestion onto him as he might have some luck with it.

Thanks

Tenson, Mar 24, 2005
Ask a Question