Pioneer Stable Platter as Transport

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by rulocal, Sep 3, 2006.

1. rulocal

rulocal

Hi

I am looking at one of the above models as a transport and would be interested in some information on which have co-axial outputs and which might be the best models as a transport. I have googled around and found bits and bobs of info but any feedback from anyone with personal experiences would be gratefully received.

Cheers

rulocal, Sep 3, 2006
  2. rulocal

zanash

The 906 works well .....its easy to squeeze more performance out of to with a few obvious tweaks. [I've rebuilt/modded one of these]

This has a decent digital output too.

zanash, Sep 3, 2006
  3. rulocal

rulocal

Cheers

Can't find anything on that one at the moment. The 904 and 505 Precision appear to have coaxial outputs and from what I can gather both have the superior 'diamond turned' platters. I presume these would respond to the same 'tweaks'.

rulocal, Sep 3, 2006
  4. rulocal

Effem Cable manufacturer

If you are contemplating buying one of these fine decks then be aware they have a propensity for shedding the plastic laser focussing lens during transportation. Try to collect in person and hear it before parting with your cash to make sure it isn't skipping

Effem, Sep 3, 2006
  5. rulocal

rulocal

Thanks. That sounds like good advice. How much should I be looking to pay for a decent example?

rulocal, Sep 3, 2006
  6. rulocal

t1nt1n hifi collector

I have a PD-S703 with an Audio Alchemy DDE V1.0 and it still sounds fantastic after all these years (10+). I can turn off the analogue output and the display. What other easy mods are there?

t1nt1n, Sep 3, 2006
  7. rulocal

Effem Cable manufacturer

I had a PD-9700 with Trichord clock running into an MF X-24K DAC and it sounded sublime. Upgraded the captive mains lead and it sounded even better.

I bought a couple of the later PDS-XXX series and they didn't sound quite as good to me. Why I don't know because the transport essentially stayed the same.

These generally fetch around the £100 mark on ebay and probably more for a low hours and mint one.

Effem, Sep 3, 2006
  8. rulocal

Tenson Moderator

I can confirm that :(

Tenson, Sep 3, 2006
  9. rulocal

Effem Cable manufacturer

It's not the end of the world if they do come out as I have successfully glued most of them back into position. Very tricky job though getting it seated correctly, not disturbing the focussing mechanism and avoiding getting any glue on the lens

Effem, Sep 3, 2006
Ask a Question