Place to buy used Pro Kit?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Tenson, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Tenson

Tenson Moderator

Hi guys,

I am looking for a place to buy used pro equipment. More specifically, I am looking for a pair of nearfeild active studio monitors. I was going to buy new, but then thought of getting used. Where can I buy used pro stuff!??!

I have a budget of £1,600 per pair.

Otherwise I reckon the Tannoy Ellipse 8's look very good, among others!

Thanx!

Tenson, Jan 7, 2004
  2. Tenson

joel Shaman of Signals

If you really must do your ears, a pair of new v.small genelecs should cost about that. NFM's don't get much more "pro" than that. They don't get much more unpleasant, either :D
    I think you could probably get a reasonable pair of small Dynaudio actives for that kind of money, too.
    www.hhb.co.uk

If you really really want to go s/h, here's a list
    http://www.audiodirectory.nl/html/php/menubalk.php?zoek=47

joel, Jan 7, 2004
  3. Tenson

sideshowbob Trisha

£1600 will get you a brand new pair of ATC Active 10s, which are exactly the same speaker as the pro version minus the parametric controls. A grand would get you the same speaker secondhand, you should be able to get a secondhand pair of ATC active SCM20s for £1600 (twice as large as the 10s).

As Joel says, most pro monitors sound pretty bad in a domestic context. These don't.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Jan 7, 2004
  4. Tenson

joel Shaman of Signals

Ian, you're worse than me :D :D :rolleyes:
    I now feel obliged to point out that 1,200 quid or thereabouts will also get a pair of Active Harbeth Monitor 20s - which are an updated version of the LS3/5s. Rather more dynamic and forward than the originals, though.

joel, Jan 7, 2004
  5. Tenson

Matt F

I wouldn't say that ALL pro monitors sound bad in a domestic environment - I used to use 3 M&K pro MPS1510 monitors and they were superb - I only sold them because of their lack of grilles. These were passive though - the active M&K's are very expensive.

However, there are loads of alternatives around - Genelec's, ATC's and Dynaudio's having already got a mention. You could look at Mackie too - apparently pretty good and good value too.

Have a look at the www.digital-village.co.uk website to see what's available - not saying they're necessarily the best place to buy them from but their website is good.

I have also seen Genelec's come up second hand on ebay and loot occasionally.

Matt.

Matt F, Jan 7, 2004
  6. Tenson

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Definitive audios website has some used SCM50s for 2,000 and there are some on the classifieds here for 1,950.

If you can sit a bit further away these are surely one to consider.

Not near-field monitors, Id admit, far field monitors perhaps.

Or near field monitors for big rooms?

Chris

bottleneck, Jan 7, 2004
  7. Tenson

dunkyboy

Go HERE for a great classifieds page for used pro monitors.

Dunc

dunkyboy, Jan 7, 2004
  8. Tenson

Tenson Moderator

Cheers Joel and DunkyBoy! Thats the kind of thing I was looking for! Although I couldn't find much in the way of nearfields on the link you gave Jole.

The SOS site has some interesting bits, though I can't see much that I really want to buy.

I have however found a nice site for new stuff. Most places charge around £3,500 for a pair of PMC AML1's I emaild these people and they quoted me £2,300!! Still out of budget but I can't wait to see the prices they give me for some ATC, Dynaudio and ADAM stuff!

Its - http://www.proaudioeurope.com/london/Product frames/amps&monitors_frame.htm

Tenson, Jan 7, 2004
  9. Tenson

joel Shaman of Signals

HI Tenson,
    HHB have all the speakers you are interested in on the website. Just takes a bit of looking for.
    I would be very careful buying NFMs, there are some really iffy speakers out there that'll burn your lugholes off if you're not careful.
    What kind of work do you plan to use the monitors for anyway?

joel, Jan 7, 2004
  10. Tenson

Tenson Moderator

Joel,

I meant the second-hand link. HHB have a nice site, though I have sent them 2 emails now and 2 days later no reply. I will take my money elsewhere!

I am planning to use them mainly for Rock, Chill out and vocal tracking as well as my main Hi-Fi setup. I'm 17 and my studio has to fit into my room with my Hi-Fi so I figured this was a good way to get some good monitors and also have good Hi-Fi.

Anyway, I know a lot of people don't like monitors for listening to music as compared to Hi-Fi. But to be honest I much prefer the sound! Unless a system has a pretty flat response it just sounds wrong to me. I was also planning to get a nice valve pre-amp later on to use with them for my Hi-Fi. Which I think seems the perfect combo. Valve pre and active monitors :-D

Cheers,

Tenson, Jan 7, 2004
  11. Tenson

joel Shaman of Signals

Hi Tenson,
    Be very careful buying nearfield monitor speakers. There are a lot of very iffy sounding speakers out there. But with that kind of money start by auditioning ATCs, Dyns, Harbeths and the KRK V6 / V8s.
    You must give genelecs a listen, too. These really are standard tools for many sound engineers and in sound reinforcement. Not nice to listen to, especially for extended periods, but they have their uses and many sound engineers will not work unless they have a pair atop the desk.

joel, Jan 8, 2004
  12. Tenson

Tenson Moderator

I have a small funy story about HHB! This is from a post I made on another forum -

I guess they don't really want my money! Too busy dsay dreaming or something I suppose....

Tenson, Jan 9, 2004
  13. Tenson

Lt Cdr Data om

genelec the standards, atc, too, try active 20s, hhb circle 5 active for about 5-600 these are actually harbeth, dynaudio bm15....10 inch active, big bass,
    if you want to spend that much, get a big brand.
    Interestingly, some pro stuff if voiced softer for long term listening.
    Avoid mackies...dreadful..nice idea, just awful sound

Lt Cdr Data, Jan 9, 2004
  14. Tenson

Tenson Moderator

Mackies look strangely similar to Genelec

Tenson, Jan 9, 2004
  15. Tenson

Lt Cdr Data om

and if you have seen behringer, they are strangely similar to mackie....allegedly, behringer imitate the industry standard in all their things, tho they are a little cheapish.

Lt Cdr Data, Jan 10, 2004
  16. Tenson

Respectamonkeee

Hi new to this forum and only came to read Mr_Sukebe intresting thread on SACD :)

But noticed your after some nearfield monitors

I have a advert going in to SOS this week(waiting to be checked) for 3 DynAudio BM6A monitors

I've had then for sale on another forum for £1050 but as ive already bought another 4 speakers to match my others i would like to get rid of them sooner rather then later, so im offering them at £900 for this week end only.If you are intrested you can email me for a listen/demo

Im in Aylesbury/Bucks

Mods please delte if you think this is wrong as id hate to make trubs with my 1st post

Glad i stummbled on this forum....some great stuff hear

thanks

Karl

[email protected]

Respectamonkeee, Jan 10, 2004
  17. Tenson

Tenson Moderator

Hi Respectamonkeee,

Nice to have you with us!

Thank-you for the offer, however I am really looking for something a little better than the BM6A's. Though I have heard very good things about them.

Why do you want to sell 3? Front half of a surround system or something? I'd suggest you post theis offer in the buy/sell section of the forum!

Cheers,

Tenson, Jan 11, 2004
  18. Tenson

Respectamonkeee

Hi Tenson

if your looking for a really good near feild can i reccomend the Bluesky sat 1 system i've replaced all my speakers with these excellant monitors that are also THX rated

They are slightly differant to most monitors due to the fact that they come with a dedicated 12" sub as well.

I've had pro speakers in a home cinema set up for quite a while now and would never go back to "hifi" speakers as i like to hear the sound as it was mixed in the studio.While i was looking to upgrade my monitors i looked at so many actives by dyn/makie/Genelec/Adam/Beringer/M&K and finally Bluesky.

The blues for me were by far the best and they offer a home 7 day trial so you can check them out in your studio.

heres some links for them

INFO http://www.abluesky.com/p_s_gb/p2s3.html
    home lone http://www.sonic-distribution.com/2/pages/avtalk/loan.htm

Respectamonkeee, Jan 11, 2004
  19. Tenson

joel Shaman of Signals

Ah, THX. They must be good then :rolleyes:
    Actually, I try and avoid most most studio monitors since they are very bad for listening over long periods. and many rather than being flat seem to have some "lift" in the presence region to make them appear more detailed - a trick that is also applied in many hifi speakers.
    Never forget that the "pros" depended on Yamaha NS10s for many years. These were among the worst loudspeakers ever made, and required a hankie over the tweeter to stop your ears bleeding :confused:
    Whatever you do, do not part with cash until you have heard a wide variety of speakers and are sure of what you want.
    Don't make a snap judgement.
    If it was my money, it would be between ATC, Harbeth and PMC. All of which are to be found in recording and broadcast environments the world over.

joel, Jan 11, 2004
  20. Tenson

Respectamonkeee

Thanks Joel for your freindly welcome;)

I belive that Tenson was after advice concerning nearfeild monitors and since ive spent the last 3 months with home trials of all the top makes i thought that i may just past on my findings.

For the money i think the Blueskys are excellant value...certianly beating a pair of M&K s-150 and very close to a pair of MPS2510's at £2500 each...so great value
    And as for the THX remark does that mean my THX ultra 2 rated sub isnt as good as i thought?or my AV32R? THX is just a badge but your ears dont lie!!

Your more then welocome to pop over for a listen to my speakers and sub any time...

Respectamonkeee, Jan 12, 2004
Ask a Question