Placebo - Meds (good album, shame about the copy protection..)

Discussion in 'General Music' started by Will, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Will

Will The Lucky One

Picked this album today, only had a quick listen but it seems to mark a return to their earlier style, being more reminiscent of Black Market Music than Sleeping With Ghosts.

I have no idea why they released 'Because I Want You' as their first single from this album in the UK as well, given that they released 'Song To Say Goodbye' elsewhere first, and its a far better track.

Anyone else bought this? I'm going to see them in Birmingham on the ninth of April, really looking forward to it :)

One ******* annoying thing about this album :mad: - this CD has the absolutely worst, most uncrackable copy protection on it I have *ever* experienced. It seems completely unrippable (using EAC, iTunes and CDEX, of which at least one can usually read a CD okay regardless of what copy protection it has). It has inbuilt software to copy the music to your music library, in DRM'd WMA format only, and even then those won't play properly, as it tries and fails to download the licenses for them :rolleyes:. WMP only then, so this ain't going on your iPod without some serious fiddling. The packaging even states you can't put it on your iPod - if I hadn't bought it via mail order I'd be taking it back as its not a proper CD, and just download it off the net. It won't play in the car head unit I tried it in earlier as well. :mad: :SLEEP:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2006
    Will, Mar 20, 2006
  2. Will

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Does it bother the superDAC? Sleeping with Ghosts, along with all other macrovision CDS200 discs I have, does...

I-S, Mar 21, 2006
  3. Will

robert_cyrus

i'll admit i haven't tried, will have a go tonight, but i didn't notice anything ref copy protection / wont rip to an ipod in the booklet. there is definitely no logo on the back stating the presence of copy protection.
    mine's from amazon, where did u buy yours?

robert_cyrus, Mar 21, 2006
  4. Will

Will The Lucky One

Bought it off ebay (£7.49 inc delivery), it came from Thailand...will be interested to see whether official UK sourced copies have the same copy protection. I doubt it actually, since my friend Nina was able to rip her copy no problem, and she's not really that tech savvy, did it with WMP....think it might just be my copy :(

It thankfully plays fine in the Discmagic / Superdac Isaac :) I don't have Sleeping With Ghosts myself but I borrowed a copy of a friend and that played okay...

Will, Mar 21, 2006
  5. Will

robert_cyrus

yeah nothing wrong with mine from amazon. no copy protection whatsover.
    i stopped buying cd's from cd-wow for that very reason - every cd seemed to be linked to emi (coldplay, doves, goldfrapp etc etc etc) and every emi cd coming from hong kong had copy protection.

robert_cyrus, Mar 22, 2006
Ask a Question