Plan that didn't quite come together as intended...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by I-S, Aug 4, 2004.

1. I-S

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Well well, bit of a saga...

When I bought my television, I didn't have anywhere to put it. I hatched a plan, however, to extend Tonne Control, with an additional section, which would allow the television to perch on top, above the S300.

So I drew the design, and sent it off to the welding shop. Fast forward eight weeks or so, and it's ready. Great. Bring it home, take the television off its table, move table out of the way, and set the new piece into place.

First problem. Tolerances are way off, and although the front uprights match, the rears are dangling an inch out behind the existing rack. I botch a solution, to put the piece in place while I think of a more permanent solution. I put the granite on, but don't trust my botch to take the weight of the television, so I leave it like that.

Then I came home the next day, with a permanent solution to allow the piece to fit properly. Before I do so, however, I discover problem number 2. The S300 is extremely hot, as is the piece of granite above it. My numbers weren't too far off, and there's over 3" of clear air above it, but there's clearly not enough airflow. Not satisfactory.

I finish the permanent solution anyway, and test it. I set the television up on top. Problem number 3 is averted, as the granite shelving is a good magnetic shield, and the H-field from the S300's transformers has no effect on the television. However, problem number 4 presents itself at this point. Given a film of any significant length, I'm going to get a crick in my neck... the television is simply too high up.

But then I realised... The solution to all of these problems is oh so simple. A quick rearrangement of a few bits, and....

[​IMG]

The new section (which needs painting) becomes a dedicated amp table. The argos granite slab, which the DAC had occupied, goes under the amp with the small dimension to the front, leaving clear space below the heatsink fins. The television now occupies the amplifier's old resting place.

I-S, Aug 4, 2004
  2. I-S

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

Good one, Isaac. I suppose a nice open fire in winter is out of the question. :rolleyes:

7_V, Aug 4, 2004
  3. I-S

With the S300, who needs it?

Anyway, it's a scabby electric bar fire. BTW, I take no responsibility for the decor... it's a rented flat.

I-S, Aug 4, 2004
  4. I-S

voodoo OdD

Lookin' very nice Isaac :cool: .

Your NAD(s) are huge :D !

voodoo, Aug 4, 2004
  5. I-S

And heavy....

I-S, Aug 4, 2004
  6. I-S

PeteH Natural Blue

One of mine's much bigger and heavier than the other, and sits a lot lower down. ;)

PeteH, Aug 4, 2004
  7. I-S

julian2002 Muper Soderator

i have no NADs - barum pum pum...

looks good isaac. just out of interest does it sound any better / different?
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Aug 4, 2004
  8. I-S

It does, but I think it's due to positioning the tv better, and getting the tablecloth covered table that it was on out of the room (it had a serious acoustic effect... moved it around and had big effects. I've been playing with speaker positioning as well, as the DOB had an effect on the balance, and the bass became a bit overbearing. I've pretty much got it right now, and very happy with it.

I-S, Aug 4, 2004
  9. I-S

liamjf

Isaac, nice picture, what are the spikes/supports you have under your speakers?

Liam.

liamjf, Aug 4, 2004
  10. I-S

They're granite slabs from a stoneyard, 500x400x30mm, each sitting on three alu cones from Carbon-12. Total cost, £27. On each slab, there are brass coasters which are blu-taked to the granite (it's good stuff!), and the spikes sit into these coasters.

I-S, Aug 4, 2004
  11. I-S

PeteH Natural Blue

Nice photo Isaac BTW. Wish I had (1) a decent camera, and more importantly (2) something other than a total cack-hand and cack-eye for taking photos.

PeteH, Aug 5, 2004
  12. I-S

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

So's mine, but the only NAD hifi I own is a 533 TT and a 4225 tuner. That pushbike in 1986 has got a LOT to answer for - ooooouuuuuuchhhhh!!!!

What's wrong with the decor, Isaak? Much nicer than any place I've rented - my current place has an ace vibe but the biggest hotchpotch of wallpaper you've EVER seen!

Like the picture frames/mirror though - very Withnail and I :)

domfjbrown, Aug 5, 2004
  13. I-S

It's the frilly, flowery curtains, stencilling (in another room) and random, pointless nick-naks that get me. However, I've just finished my probationary period at work, so I'll be looking for a house to buy now (rather than throwing mortgage type money into rent), which will get painted lurid colours in my own inimitable, inscrutable and probably insane style. :D

I-S, Aug 5, 2004
  14. I-S

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

He he - s'alright for some - I've been in a job with decent-ish pay since 1997 and there's still no chance of me being able to afford anywhere to buy :( Good luck though - lurid colours are the way forward (the house me and my housemate rent is pretty lurid - in a good way!).

domfjbrown, Aug 5, 2004
  15. I-S

Tim F

Hi Issac...

Have you got the number \ name \ address for the stone yard, I believe you said it may be close to Cheltenham.... may be worth a trip.

Thanks, Tim

Tim F, Aug 5, 2004
  16. I-S

17. I-S

stumblin Kittens getting even...

One of my NADs is in Cambridge and the other one is in London...

stumblin, Aug 5, 2004
  18. I-S

It must have been a painful separation stumblin.

I-S, Aug 6, 2004
  19. I-S

stumblin Kittens getting even...

I cried.

stumblin, Aug 6, 2004
  20. I-S

MartinC Trainee tea boy

Nice to see I'm not the only one with a TV stuck right in front of a fireplace. I know it bugs my Mum that I've done that, but it's the only way to set things up. Plus I don't actually think mine looks that nice; it's got some award winningly ugly tiles round the inside I'm glad to have hidden.

That said I'll be moving the end of the month (note to self, really must find new place to rent soon!) so I'll have a new room to play around with...

MartinC, Aug 6, 2004
Ask a Question