Platforms for valve monoblocs?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by SteveC, Jan 17, 2007.

1. SteveC

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for floor-standing platforms for monobloc valve amps to be placed next to each speaker. Any suggestions?

If microphony is a potential issue, is it desirable to have some kind of damping or isolation, or lossy material? I have only seen two makes so far:
    I'd appreciate any comments on these specific platforms, other makes, or the issue in general. Thanks.

SteveC, Jan 17, 2007
  2. SteveC

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Steve, my own valve amps dont seem to mind what you plonk them on.

The other valve amps I've had (loads!) didn't seem to mind either.

A nice platform will prevent you bashing them with a hoover, or breaking a glass tube with your foot, so it's not all bad.

Whatever you go for, make sure the tubes have plenty of air to circulate round them, that's the only golden rule really.

Why not look at some DIY alternatives - concrete pavers, blocks of granite, tiles stuck together, something with a couple of IKEA tables glued together etc..

It's an old circular arguement about sound qualities of these things.

My suggestion is to plonk them on the floor with some music playing.

If you can't hear any real difference, go with the option thats the cheapest that you like the look of the best!

If you can, there's the facility to go all tweakyfied.

bottleneck, Jan 17, 2007
  3. SteveC

Baudrillard

I use Solid Tech Disc of Silence (x4) under my stereo valve amp, which in turn sit on an piece of MDF (actually the unwanted base of my NA spacedeck). They really seem to improve the sound as well a provide superb isolation. Although not cheap at over a £100, they are much more cost effective than buying Solid Tech's monoblock amp stand. Available at Walrus.

http://www.solid-tech.net/isolator.htm#11

Baudrillard, Jan 17, 2007
  4. SteveC

jaspal kallar

Perhaps have a look at this page:

https://www.mapleshaderecords.com/audioproducts/maple_main.php

to get some ideas. Essentially go somewhere they can cut out the correct size maple wood and then just get some (brass) cones to rest the wood on or try it on the floor first. Perhaps, a fairly cheap option.

- jaspal.

jaspal kallar, Jan 17, 2007
  5. SteveC

Cliff A.

Nice big pieces of wood about the same depth and width as the amps by about two inches thick. Something that looks nice obviously. If you've got rubber feet or hard ones then consider cones or isolating discs etc.

Cliff A., Jan 17, 2007
  6. SteveC

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

Thanks for those interesting suggestions and points. I have some spare glass shelves from a Stands Unique stand, so I will have a look at getting some of the Solid Tech Disc of Silences I think, though I'm tempted also to think of something just a bit higher, to avoid the kicking risk a bit better. I must admit I'm happy to see the accelerometer readings on their website. I'm less convinced by spikes since I want to stop vibrations coming up from the floor, rather than sink the vibrations from a whole rack of stuff (plus a sub is standing less than a metre from one amp). The maple board sounds interesting, though maybe less predictable, and I have seen some nice acrylic chopping boards locally. Could work with the lossy feet maybe.

SteveC, Jan 17, 2007
  7. SteveC

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

not that I'd personally bother, but why not build some air platforms.

all you need is a box with a lid that fits inside.. and a bicylce inner tube.

or buy a voodoo or townsend finished article if you want.

WM could sort you with some townsend stuff I'm sure.

bottleneck, Jan 17, 2007
  8. SteveC

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

I had an eBay granite dealer cut some nice black fleck 30mm jobbies to size for my 845 SET monoblocks. Just put some Foculpods underneath and this has definitely helped on the microphony side of things. Cheap solution too. About £75 in total. I can give you his contact details if you like?

DT

Dynamic Turtle, Jan 17, 2007
  9. SteveC

robert_cyrus

i sit my monoblocks on home made tables - thick wooden chopping boards £10 each, and added speaker spikes to the underside. pack of 8 for not much, i think total must have been under £30.

robert_cyrus, Jan 17, 2007
  10. SteveC

julian2002 Muper Soderator

i use a granite chopping board and 3 mitchel tenderfeet under my vincent hybrid monoblocks. - basicly they get bloody hot and i didn;t want to set the carpet on fire.
    cost me about 20 quid each if that and do exactly what i want.

julian2002, Jan 17, 2007
  11. SteveC

zanash

get some platfoam ....use a top plate ie the granite chopping board
    sat on a couple of layers/ 4 slabs [platfoam is about 2 x 4 ].
    this will give you mass and decoupling and lift the amps about 4 inches off the deck.

zanash, Jan 20, 2007
  12. SteveC

rollo

Granite must be damped as it rings.I use granite blocks 4" th. damped with Dynamat.Works real well.Also use same granite blocks for preamp power supplies,these sit in a sand filled wood box.
    Hope this helps.
    rollo

rollo, Jan 20, 2007
  13. SteveC

julian2002 Muper Soderator

well the amps have hard rubber feet and i've blutaked the mitchell feet to the bottom, that seems like enough to me. i must say that i'm not really convinced that stands do that much to change the sound of a system. to me their main purpouses are to keep the kit off the floor and to enhance the aesthetics of the room. sonic benefits are (ime) minor and not really worth stressing about.

julian2002, Jan 21, 2007
Ask a Question