Playing Vinyl In The Car ???

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Levi_501, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Levi_501

Levi_501 Its in The Jeans...

Guys, I am kind of getting a bit fed up with having to choose between the album on vinyl or CD.

I listen to the vinyl at home, and it is great. If I want to listen to anything in the car it has to be on CD.

What would be the easiest way to buy the album on vinyl and then transfer it so I can listen to it in the car ?

I do not have an Ipod or CD burner.

I am told the car will play mp3s. It is an 08 Mondeo if that is any help.

Thanks in advance

Levi_501, Feb 21, 2009
  2. Levi_501

eisenach

You need one of these:

Attached Files:

eisenach, Feb 21, 2009
  3. Levi_501

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

It sseems that the Mondeo has an input to plug a MP3 player into it. It also has a USB input so you can control the player via the car's controls.

In the old days, you would record your vinyl onto cassette, then pop the cassette into your car cassette player. Now you need to record your vinyl from the pre amp/phono stage via a soundcard and a suitable audio editing programe, then transfer it on a cd or MP3 player. You would burn a cd or transfer via a USB port to the MP3 player.

You could get something like a turntable with USB port or get a phono stage with a USB port then you can go straight tro the MP3 player. Something like this.

You could put the above record player in your car and connect it via the USB but the bumps in the road may not help with the tracking of the vinyl. Or you could hunt out one of the many car record players from the 50s & 60s.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another option is to have a word with Mousse T. He seems to have mastered to art of playing records in the car.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Feb 21, 2009
  4. Levi_501

Labarum

5. Levi_501

spica

For various reasons, I dislike using CD originals in the motor, much as i did with tape..and copied them then, as i do CDs now. I use a philips CD recorder purely for this purpose (double deck) one half read, the other read/write , gives me perfect copies, on occasion i've used it for vinyl recording, but only when say traveling long distance and so make a compilation of favourites i don't have/can't find on CD, it gives a decent result as long as i don't reminisce as to how it sounded on the TT.

Good Luck.. :)

spica, Feb 22, 2009
  6. Levi_501

lydgate

Those car players look cool although I'd be worried about bumps (I've had CD players that don't handle bumps well before -- but at least you can buffer music and you don't have to worry about wrecking a stylus).

Plus it's annoying/dangerous enough changing a CD every 80 minutes while you're on the highway -- can you imagine changing a (fragile) 45 every 3 minutes or so?

lydgate, Feb 22, 2009
  7. Levi_501

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

I used to have a record player in my campervan, though we didn't play records on it while we were moving :)

A year or two back I was chatting to a bloke who used to have one of the in car record players pictured above in his Ford Consul in the mid sixties. He told me the girls absolutely loved it ... but it hadn't been thought through all that well really. Singles are about three minutes long, so you would be changing record every three minutes or so and needed to carry a large number of them if you weren't to get bored. The car soon became a mess of records everywhere, including a large number of them on the dash, where of course they went banana shaped at the first hint of sun. Despite all of these problems he did say it was undoubtedly very, very cool indeed.

Uncle Ants, Feb 22, 2009
Ask a Question