Please help 7V choose a new turntable

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by 7_V, Oct 8, 2003.

1. 7_V

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

I'm selling my beloved Michell Mycro (and some other garage kit) and am going to buy a new turntable. My speakers need better quality demo gear.

I intend to keep my Origin Live Silver tonearm and Ortofon Rohmann cartridge. Also I will keep my EAR 834P phono stage for the time being.

Some candidates for consideration include:

Rega P9
    Origin Live
    Michell Gyrodec
    Nottingham Analog
    Loricraft

I would prefer a British manufacturer (all other things being equal) but will look at anything.

I would welcome any comments and further suggestions. I assume that I will be able to buy at trade prices and negotiate some sort of dealer arrangement with the manufacturers so I want to buy new. My budget would be a turntable that retails for about £1,500.

What do you think?

7_V, Oct 8, 2003
  2. 7_V

sideshowbob Trisha

Oh good, a turntable thread.

I like the P9 a lot. New, it's out of your budget, but you should be able to get an older one for that sort of money. It comes with an arm, of course (RB1000 on the new, RB900 on the old), which may or may not be better than your OL arm. Worth trying with both I would have thought.

I've really enjoyed every Nottingham TT I've heard.

Oh, and don't forget Kuzma. You can get a Kuzma Stabi S with the Stogi S unipivot and a cart for about £1200 ex-dem (check Walrus, Midland Audio Exchange, Audio Consultants, and Audiofreaks, they always seem to have Kuzmas for sale). The Stogi S is a seriously nice arm, BTW. I used to have one of these decks. In the end I thought a fully-Orbed Gyro was marginally better (mostly because it was less fussy about placement) but if you have a wall-shelf or decently isolated rack you may think different.

You should also be able to find an armless second hand Orbe for that sort of money.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Oct 8, 2003
  3. 7_V

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

I can't believe I'm saying this but I agree with Ian :cry: Only 2 to choose really, A notts, isn't bad, I could live with one (second system though), or a well tempered, steal a bit more Steve, or up the wiring in the speakers and charge more for em :).
    You'll love it Tone

wadia-miester, Oct 8, 2003
  4. 7_V

I thought Ian went for an Orbe for his own system.

Anyway, so far we've got Orbe/Gyro, Rega, Well Tempered, Kuzma and Nottingham Analogue.

Am I right in thinking that the Gyro has an upgrade path to an Orbe?

Also, the Rega, Well Tempered and Kuzma come with their own arm while the other two could suit my OL Silver.

What about Clearaudio or Oracle, worth considering?

7_V, Oct 8, 2003
  5. 7_V

The Devil IHTFP

What about the famous reference transcription turntable, the Linn Sondek LP 12?

Or are you just trying to be, er, "different" for the sake of it?

It is an old design, so I guess it can't possibly be any good.

The Devil, Oct 8, 2003
  6. 7_V

mick parry stroppy old git

Loricraft

Chaps

If you want hand built quality and are prepared to spend at a starting of £7k, the Loricraft 501 is the one.

www.garrard501.com

Regards

Mick

mick parry, Oct 8, 2003
  7. 7_V

sideshowbob Trisha

I did!

Yep, you can add an external PSU and Orbe platter and you're 98% of the way to a full Orbe. The recent versions have a much better DC motor than the older AC versions, and better spring adjustment, but any Gyro is upgradeable to full current spec (at a cost, obviously, so newer is better).

This is true, but the RB1000 and Stobi S are really good arms, and may even be better than the OL. Worth trying in any event (not saying they are better, just that they might be).

Never heard an Oracle properly, and haven't heard a Clearaudio I've liked, TBH.

Oh, and to keep Bub happy, it would make sense to have a listen to a well-sorted LP12, of course.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Oct 8, 2003
  8. 7_V

I never rated it when it was new and don't really fancy it now.

7_V, Oct 8, 2003
  9. 7_V

Re: Loricraft

I can pick up a "Loricrafted" 401 inexpensively by trading in a couple of old 401s. I'm a little concerned about the transmission system. Am I wrong to be concerned?

7_V, Oct 8, 2003
  10. 7_V

merlin

I must admit to not having heard it so any recommendation is second hand, although I do trust the source.

Many are really singing the praises of the Vpi Aries Scout, including my friendly speaker designer. I would like to listen soon, might take a trip to Audio Consultants. I just like the sheer simplicity of it.

Probably worth a look Steve, although it does rely on it's own arm.

merlin, Oct 8, 2003
  11. 7_V

titian

In the last months I have been testing some top phono stages and cartridges at my place. (Walker Reference, Klyne, Silver cube (Lehmann), the Groove, MicroMagic tube; Clearaudio Reference, Clearaudio Accurate, Allaerts MC2 Gold, Magic Diamond...)

The most impressive af all these components is the Magic Diamond MC Cartridge which in Switzerland costs about 1500£. Well this cartridge can compete without any problems with the other cartridges which cost up to 5 times more. Not only I recommend this cartridge but also those guys who swaped from the Clearaudio and also Koetsu top models. If you can afford to spend so much for a cartridge but don't want to spend much more then this is highly recommendable.

titian, Oct 8, 2003
  12. 7_V

The Devil IHTFP

No LP12? Oh well Steve, your system. It's difficult to improve on accurate.

The Orbe is good, but that record clamp would drive me totally around the bend. If I just fancied one track on an album the fannying-about factor would almost certainly put me off playing it.

Whichever turntable you choose, about 80% of the battle is ensuring that the platter is dead level and runs true.

The Devil, Oct 9, 2003
  13. 7_V

joongul Analog Zealot

Add Roksan Xerxes X to your audition candidate list. Roksan arms have identical geometry as Rega ones, so the OL arm would be compatible. I'd go for an Artemiz though - it is a very good arm.

Joongul

joongul, Oct 9, 2003
  14. 7_V

Hey guys, I didn't realize that choosing a TT would be so much fun. Haven't even started listening yet.

Realistically, I have to think of choosing a TT that I can be an agent for. With thousands of high-flying audiophiles coming to listen to and buy my speakers, I've got to figure a few will want a turntable. ;)
    However, if I hear something that blows away a more practical choice, the audiophile in me won't be able to ignore it.

Good night all.

7_V, Oct 9, 2003
  15. 7_V

Garrards

Steve

The 401 will be fine provided you use a Loricraft or similar plinth.

It really is a great sounding TT and is so reliable compared to most of the others.

I really do suggest you have a listen to your shortlisted TT's in a domestic environment.

Regards

Mick

mick parry, Oct 9, 2003
  16. 7_V

penance Arrogant Cock

Nottingham always sounded good to me, the few ive heard. Battle ship build aswell. Ive heard 1 origin with wich i could happily live with, but unfortunately ive read a few bad reports on OL quality controll, tho i have no experiance of that myself, just thought id pass it on.
    The Scheu Premier (German) is probably within your budget, not heard one, but i have a Scheu platter bearing and motor sat here ready for me to build around, and i must say the quality is very nice (80MM thick acrylic platter:D )

penance, Oct 9, 2003
  17. 7_V

The Devil IHTFP

Re: Garrards

You could get a plinth made up by a local factor for a fraction of the cost.

The Devil, Oct 9, 2003
  18. 7_V

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Hi Steve

Having heard your micro, Im suprised (Ive got to say) that this is high up your list. It seemed to play accurately and well - and I dont think it would look out of place on a high end sytem.

I did notice though that your CDP and TT sounded remarkably similar - I think perhaps theres something about the line stage or power amps which is robbing the TT of its dynamics - I know you were looking at a new amp anyway, but if they were my shoes the pre and the power amps would be my priority.

IF you really want to change the TT (for appearances sake) well I guess it depends on what you want to spend.

definitive audio in notts have got the following nott's tt's :

Nottingham Analogue - Mentor with Reference PSU + LV Mystic Mat £1950 £3580
    Nottinhgam Analogue - Dais turntable with LV Mystic Mat - lovely £2500 £3500
    Nottingham Analogue - Interspace turntable + RB300 - scratch and dink £500 £768
    Nottingham Analogue - Horizon turntable - RB250 - new £400 £590

Personally, I'd be trying to pry the Interspace off him without the RB300 for around £400. This to my ears is up there with the spacedeck, and looks great too. Dont think you're going to get better sound for the money.

Moving up - I'd be looking at really going for it and getting a TT with a really serious power supply - top VPI's , SME, or the evergreen platines.

If you're not going to buy in that stratosphere though, I would say that an interspace will sound as good as anything up to that kind of level.

Check it out, its a high end deck in disguise!

:)

Chris

bottleneck, Oct 9, 2003
  19. 7_V

Plinths

"You could get a plinth made up by a local factor for a fraction of the cost.........Bub

That is true.

Regards

Mick

mick parry, Oct 9, 2003
  20. 7_V

The Devil IHTFP

Do I detect a sensayuma?

The Devil, Oct 9, 2003
Ask a Question