Please help 7V choose a new turntable

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by 7_V, Oct 8, 2003.

1. 7_V

mick parry stroppy old git

no

Just a commercial fact

Regards

Mick

mick parry, Oct 9, 2003
  2. 7_V

ReJoyce ... Jason Hector that is.

Second the Well Tempered.

As I'd like to return the compliment you can get a listen to one at my place, send me a PM to arange the details. The VPi I heard at the show sounded fantastic, unfortunately with a very expensive cartridge.

Cheers

Jason

ReJoyce, Oct 9, 2003
  3. 7_V

Joolsburger

I second the Roksan Xerxes X it's a overlooked choice that is a GREAT sounding deck..

Joolsburger, Oct 9, 2003
  4. 7_V

crunchy

tt

i have been listning to differnt turntables for years if i were you and you want best bang for buck i would opt for a second hand Void the Void around 600-800 without arm or if you are lucky enough a secondhand void reference about 1200-1500 secondhand without arm this will take a lot of beating regardless
    it will make the likes of michel and nottingham anlouge sound silly
    also improves dramticaly with arm and cartidge and you can still get it serviced by peter at audionote who now make the void under their own badge....

cheers

crunchy, Oct 9, 2003
  5. 7_V

Metalhead

Try a Technics SL10, this is no bullshit, in the stone plinth it's a killer. Looks cool too.

Metalhead, Oct 9, 2003
  6. 7_V

SCIDB Moderator

Hi

I would look at the Nottingham Analogue turntables for very good allround ability.

Also look at the Avid Volvere. This retails for £2000 without arm. This can be upgrade to the Volvere Sequel (retail £3500). These are scaled down versions of the Acutus. The Sequel has a high torque motor & power supply from the Acutus.

The Voyd is a very good deck. I doubt if you could get a 2nd Voyd reference for £1200- 1500. I have seen these go for over £4000. But you may be able to pick up a Voyd 0.5 reference for £1500 upwards. This is the one to go for.

The Audionote turntables ( are in effect Voyds) are not being made at the moment due to the motors being discontinued. You need to contact Audionote with regards to the latest news on the Audionote decks. I think you were looking at £2000 upwards for a new one.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Oct 9, 2003
  7. 7_V

Decca

Also worth looking at a Rock TT. Easy to setup and has a very neutral sound. Works incredibly well with the more solid arms available.

The Roksan with a Rega is also a great buy.

Decca, Oct 9, 2003
  8. 7_V

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

Quick vote for the Clearaudios...
    For £1500you'll get a Solution with parallel tracking tonearm - justbright enough to make the Rohmann not sound too warm!
    Must say my Clearaudio Revolution works a treat with an EAR 834P deluxe..
    Just make sure you bolt it to the wall!!!!
    BTW - demmed mine againstthe Kuzma Stogi, Avid Volvere, Verdier (nouvelle platine) and Orbe... Orbe was, imho, the worst of all!

leonard smalls, Oct 9, 2003
  9. 7_V

The Devil IHTFP

"justbright enough to make the Rohmann not sound too warm!"

Oh dear Leonard. You appear to be one of those people who believe that one flawed piece of gear should be 'matched' with another. Nonsense, IMO.

The Devil, Oct 9, 2003
  10. 7_V

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

are you going to get a wall shelf steve?

Cheers
    Chris

bottleneck, Oct 10, 2003
  11. 7_V

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

Re: Garrards

Hi Mick. I will be visiting Loricraft. I have a 401 in a good looking plinth. It needs a new board made up with arm mounting and I will ask their advice on damping the plinth I have.

Then I will decide whether this 401 is "it" or whether I will go for something else. I'll certainly try this as it's a very low cost option (I already have the 401). Also the guys from Loricraft are very professional and also helpful.

I will try to listen to any shortlisted TTs in a domestic environment. I must also listen to each with my own speakers and possibly amps. It's the only reference I have.

7_V, Oct 10, 2003
  12. 7_V

The Mycro works but I want something that works better. I think that you're right, my CDP and TT do sound similar. Unfortunately, my CDP isn't all that hot, even modded, so that's not a good thing.

I have to keep juggling everything at the front end of the system to get the most out of the speakers (within the limits of what I can afford). My sense is that the best place to start is at the source. Hence the desire for a new TT. Then I will look further at the phono stage and CDP. I do have a power amp that is coming back from repair soon that I can compare with the power amps I'm using. There might be a swap there.

7_V, Oct 10, 2003
  13. 7_V

Thanks Jason, I'll certainly do that. Incidentally, the review in Hi-Fi+ is finally on after a delay. I'm booked to take the speakers to the photographer next Thursday and Paul's a couple of days later. The issue should hit the streets around December 15th.

7_V, Oct 10, 2003
  14. 7_V

Probably Chris. We're in the process of moving house. I'm trying to get somewhere with a decent listening room - and a good-size garage. :) I think that a wall shelf is probably the way to go assuming that I have a suitable wall.

Thanks guys for all your suggestions so far. I'll probably start with the 401 because it's there and then decide whether to 'stick' or 'twist'. I have an advantage in that I can sell gear on eBay for reasonable prices and hopefully buy gear at trade prices. This should make it relatively easy to 'buy and try'.

My main priority is to build a demo system that gets the best possible sound out of the speakers. However, aesthetics is also a consideration as some of my prospective customers will be coming from a 'lifestyle' direction. In this respect my preference would be for a Michell or similar rather than the 401.

I'll keep you posted.

7_V, Oct 10, 2003
  15. 7_V

JohnMak

So Steve,
    How did your hunt for a TT go and what TT did you finally end up with?
    It's always interesting to hear opinions of others who actually go out an listen to a few options rather than just buy an LP12. (LP12 is great, but it's hellishly expensive for a desing which must have recovered it's development costs 20 years ago)

JohnMak, Dec 16, 2004
  16. 7_V

tones compulsive cantater

tones, Dec 16, 2004
  17. 7_V

Tom Alves

Steve

Get the P9. It doesn't need hours of important pre-show setup. Plus it looks good, sounds stunning and I've got one.

Tom Alves, Dec 16, 2004
  18. 7_V

I haven't yet splashed the cash so all options are still open. For now I'm sticking with the Mycro but Michell, Notts Analogue, Roksan, Rega and Clearaudio can stand by their telephones. Linn should instruct their accounts department not to expect a cash injection from my direction any time soon.

The Rockport Sirius III is very tempting and, at under $55K, a steal. However, I'd really need two so I can load one, while the other is playing (for parties).

7_V, Dec 16, 2004
  19. 7_V

JohnMak

Wow, a Rockport at only 55 grand ..... a snap!
    Seriously, this Turntable thing is a nightmare here in Asia.

I'm agonising over getting a Garrard 401 renovated .... but it aint cheap. GBP800 for the rebuild, GBP350 for the RB300 arm, GBP500 for the plinth, GBP300 for courier fees to get it back. TOTAL GBP1950 ....Ouch.
    That's SGD5,960 without cartridge and pretty modest arm. I would have liked it with a SMEIV but that will cost an extra SGD2,600, bringing the total up to SGD8,500 which is a lot for a 40 year old TT.
    It's a bit more than I was counting on and there is no way of knowing what it will sound like before forking out the cash.

I was in Singapore recently and heard:

NAS Spacedeck/Spacearm/Transfiguration Spirit MC/Totems.
    It was very nice but the music the dealer had was a bit "relaxed". I couldn't tell how the TT would boogie as I do like a punchy "in your face" sound.
    SGD4,190 without cartridge but pretty nice looking arm. Nearly SGD$2000 less than rebuilding the Garrard??? And I'm sure a better arm.

The Scheu Premier TT/Scheu Tonearm/Lavardin amp/Living Voice. (SGD4,300 without cartridge)
    Wow, ya gotta love this one. It gets up and boogies. Detailed, fast sounding allows you to hear the delicate decay of notes. It's pretty special sounding and he has taken a lot of LP12 trades on this.
    The only thing that makes me hesitate is the perspex ..... I'm showing my age as I'm not sure if I'm a perspex kind of guy.

Michell Gyro SE/RB300/Krell 400i/Krell speakers:
    Hmmm, a very disappointing audition. It looked great in black and gold but it sounded wimpy and puny. I do not believe this was a tru demo of the Gyro and strongly suspect the guy in the shop didn't have a clue what he was doing. I may go back an try again.

Tried to hear a P9 but the dealer wouldn't open the box unless I agreed to buy it??? There you go, that's not an unusual Singapore retailers response.
    Complete waste of time.

I have found a VPI dealer in Singapore who stocks the Scoutmaster and I'll hear that next time I'm down there.

So far I think its the NAS Spacedeck pending confirmation of it ability to do dynamics.
    I still like the Garrard for sentimental reasons but $8,500 (without cartrige) is a lot of sentiment.
    I know I could live with the sound of the Scheu .... it's a pity you can't hear this in the UK ...... it is really good. But, it's perspex????

I must decide and buy before March as I leave my tax-free salary job here and return to Oz. Gotta do it before the other half knows what's happened.

I'm lucky I'm such a decisive character??????

JohnMak, Dec 16, 2004
  20. 7_V

tones compulsive cantater

A matched pair of Rockport Sirius IIIs, now that would be the ultimate in hi-fi one-upmanship. Don't forget to factor in the cost of floor reinforcement.

tones, Dec 16, 2004
Ask a Question