Please recommend some earbuds

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by RobHolt, May 21, 2011.

1. RobHolt

RobHolt Moderator

Up to £50 so just looking for something decent and better than the buds that come supplied by Apple.

In-ear type only.

Cheers,

RobHolt, May 21, 2011
  2. RobHolt

Tenson Moderator

Shure is the obvious choice. I got some Denon ones and am not too pleased actually, they are far too mid-heavy, although the quality in general is good.

Tenson, May 21, 2011
  3. RobHolt

Colin2040

ennheiser cx300 currently on Amazon for £15,just bought a pair,

Creative Labs EP-630 are quite good for not a lot,Soundmagic pl11 again for not a lot and my Sony ones are way better than the supplied Apple ones.Some of the skull candy ones are good as well. There are huge amounts to choose from,I never spend too much as I know at some point I'll break them

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2011
    Colin2040, May 21, 2011
  4. RobHolt

nando nando

hi rob, my advise are the sennheirser's no doubt,

nando, May 22, 2011
  5. RobHolt

Tim Wilmot

I really like my Klipsch S4s.

Tim Wilmot, May 22, 2011
  6. RobHolt

Gromit Buffet-blower

Ditto that - I do a hell of a lot of miles travelling by coach to gigs so spend many hours listening to music (off a Nokia 5800) to pass the time. Had my CX300's for 3 years now and they've been brilliant. Comfortable, good solid sound quality...and good solid build too.

Highly recommended - cheap too. :)

Gromit, May 22, 2011
  7. RobHolt

RobHolt Moderator

Excellent, many thanks all.

Sens on order.

RobHolt, May 22, 2011
  8. RobHolt

davidavdavid

Earbuds

New boy here, first day, be gentle :)

of all brands to put on your shortlist are earbud/headphones from NuForce
    the price in USD is less than $50 - these are the same folks who do the nice job with their USB bus powered Icon DAC units.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=1NUNE6

am not sure whether or not there are UK distributors

also for those of you playing high definition on your Apple Macintosh computers, check out VOX - freeware playback software - voxapp.didgeroo.com The developer is in Italy and I am in now way connected in any official capacity to the project. Am just saying given its feature set, it is indeed a program to audition

davidavdavid, May 26, 2011
  9. RobHolt

James_1D

Well we are all into Hi-Fi here....so when I came to chose bud for the train to work, I started with a pair from Shure...and I was not dissapointed....over the course of 3 years I went from budget (by Shure standards) to mid, then I finally got the top of the range set at the time....and they are awesome....but I stopped using them because I found they just packed wax up my ears...which spoiled the Hi-Fi enjoyment...

James_1D, May 30, 2011
  10. RobHolt

RobHolt Moderator

Sen 300s arrived.
    Better than the Apple buds but still badly lacking IMO - a bit hard, thin and piercing, with no bass.

At the same time as ordering the Sens I ordered a pack of little foam socks that slip over the more conventional type bud. Quite an improvement. Seal and fit are improved so bass comes back making the Apple buds sound quite reasonable. Maplin sell packs of three (pairs) for £1.99

RobHolt, May 30, 2011
  11. RobHolt

Tenson Moderator

I'm not trying to say you are dirty or anything(!), but surely if you clean your ears regularly there would be no wax to push up? I tend to clean my ears about once a fortnight. Pop my head under warm water for a few minutes in the bath then use a cotton-bud. I know some say not to use a cotton-bud as it can push the wax up even more but I find no problems.

Tenson, May 30, 2011
  12. RobHolt

Dev Moderator

One of my ex colleagues went a bit too far with the cotton bud. It was very painful according to him, and he never ever put cotton buds in the ears again. I'd rather get them syringed with warm water if there is an excessive build up but otherwise use ear drops or olive oil etc.

Dev, May 30, 2011
  13. RobHolt

Tenson Moderator

I found olive oil takes a lot of persistence to do anything. I had an annoying bit of wax that I could hear moving about when I laid down sometimes. I had to use warm olive oil about 4 times to do anything. I have an ear cleaning tool which I think was sold by ETYmotic. It is just a wire loop on the end of a stick. It seems far more dangerous than a cotton-bud!!

My friends Dad used some ear drop things and said they transformed his hearing. Obviously he had pretty blocked up ears but the stuff works, whatever it was!

Tenson, May 30, 2011
  14. RobHolt

James_1D

Buds like Shure have to be inserted right inside the ear canal as they are designed to block out external noise...other wise they sound terrible....so cleaning your ears regularly is a good idea anyway...but I was using mine daily and I did find over time wax built up...and this did affect my hi-fi enjoyment...I just used otex and problem solved..not a big issue if you clean you ears regularly..

James_1D, May 30, 2011
  15. RobHolt

zanash

your not suposed to put anything smaller in your ear than your elbow ...

earbuds are dangerous on a number of levels ...

the most simple is just pushing goop further into your ear ..especially if you can't see what yoir doing ..

if you have an excess of wax ..the problem lies elsewhere and need proffesional assistance

zanash, May 30, 2011
  16. RobHolt

Dev Moderator

I'd agree with this.

Dev, May 30, 2011
Ask a Question