plugs tweak

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by banpe2006, May 3, 2008.

1. banpe2006

banpe2006

When setting up my system after a change of kit, I have found find that I can gain different sonic adjustments by moving around the order of the plugs in the mains lead, in which they sit.

Id set up my new amps, but wasnt entirely happy with the sound, a little dull in the vocals, so I drew out a simple plan to try all combinations in order and I ended up with the one that I prefer.

Dont get me wrong here, its not night and day, but as long as you have an open mind, a pen, paper and an hour or so, I think its a valuable tweak and can enhance "listenability". . I think its worth it. Starting from the mains block end nearest to the cable.....
    I have a cdp, pre and power....so, I wrote out the 6 combinations

cdp - pre - power
    cdp - power - pre
    Power - cdp - pre
    Power - pre - cdp
    Pre - cdp - Power
    Pre - Power - cdp

I used 2 tracks and listened to each, simply to see if they held my attention and if I liked the vocals, as thats my thing..( some combinations bought out the vocals, others - the bass, some the timing etc ) If it worked for me - I gave a tick, if no - gave a cross through. I ended up with 3 combinations that worked, so tried a few more tracks , using only these three, and got down to the one that I felt sounded right for me. Now , before Im told that there is no difference, I really preferred the sound of some combinations to others, and whilst it may be subjective, I was able to listen to 2 cds back to back last night without fidgetting....If thats psychological, well it was worth it! :)
    The combination that I preferred was pre, power, then cdp (from mains lead end of mains block)

banpe2006, May 3, 2008
  2. banpe2006

la toilette Downright stupid

Maybe you need a new mains block?

la toilette, May 3, 2008
  3. banpe2006

banpe2006

no, mines pretty good - it just sounds different even through this - really! ( it sounds insane doesnt it? I may need to be sectioned!) Can someone tell me Im not mad please.....

banpe2006, May 3, 2008
  4. banpe2006

DavidF

..only to the same extent as the rest of us!

;)

DavidF, May 3, 2008
  5. banpe2006

brca Rookie

It's an investment, but just may be, you should try some power conditioner:)

brca, May 3, 2008
  6. banpe2006

Corky 20th Century survivor

Buckinghamshire and soon moving to Yorkshire
    I can easily believe that the condition of the mains signal reaching your equipment has an effect and that some components might be more affected than others, because my Isotek Substation running off an already dedicated clean supply made a huge difference to mine :)

And no less 'real' for that - IMHO :D

Corky, May 3, 2008
  7. banpe2006

shrink

there may be no scientific reason for this, and i certainly cant say if it sounds any different, but i have always had my power amps etc on the sockets nearest the mains supply. I always have done. Just an odd habit i guess.

I suppose the mentality is that if an amp needs to draw power, it saves the power being pulled through extra cabling if its closer to the source of it all.

shrink, May 3, 2008
  8. banpe2006

Bob McC living the life of Riley

Bob McC, May 3, 2008
  9. banpe2006

AlanB Audiophile

No you are not going mad. I discovered this phenomenon years ago. Don't belive these people that say "Get a better quality block". I bought an Isotek Sigmas (£1000) and even though they say each socket is shielded from the other it still sounds different dependant on the order.
    The manufacturer of my amplifier actually told me to ditch the Isotek and buy a non filtered block from B & Q or Maplins. I bought one from Maplins for £12 which only has surge protection and it sounds better than the £1000 Isotek.
    If I plug the Amp and CD nearest to the lead in it is cleaner. For my taste I plug them at the furthest end for a smoother and, for me, more musical sound. Even going Amp at the end followed by the CD - then CD at the end followed by the Amp makes a difference.
    Also I have a dedicated spur with an unswitched MK double socket in the wall. These two sockets sound different!! Just recently I found on the Misicworks site that they actually state this fact. I thought I was going mad but maybe I'm not.
    They are coming to take me away later. I'm sure there are loads of you who think we imagine this difference but WE believe.

AlanB, May 4, 2008
  10. banpe2006

banpe2006

Very interesting Alan, fair play for saying you found a cheaper alternative -.....is the mains lead still in Maplins btw?

banpe2006, May 4, 2008
  11. banpe2006

AlanB Audiophile

Yes and it's on sale for £6 now (half price offer) - six way.

AlanB, May 4, 2008
  12. banpe2006

O'Shag

Time to take a vacation... Just Kidding! :D :beer:

O'Shag, May 4, 2008
  13. banpe2006

banpe2006

I know - but I cant leave my plugs!

banpe2006, May 4, 2008
Ask a Question