pm7200 - does it run in....

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by midlifecrisis, Jan 6, 2004.

1. midlifecrisis

midlifecrisis Firm member

Picked up a Marantz PM7200 in the sales :) for my second system. Plugged in straight from the box it's very bright with precious little of the bass that the reviewers praised... I'm also surpised that while Marantz have gone to the trouble of using copper screws everywhere, it has crappy plastic screw-the-wire-down speaker terminals and a feeble captive mains lead. I'm distinctly tempted to reach for the snips and screwdriver :JPS: , but that would void the extra warranty I just bought.....so before I lose patience (it's running Physica lGraffiti on loop overnight to burn in) has anyone got one and seen how long it takes to run in, and whether it develops decent bass?

midlifecrisis, Jan 6, 2004
  2. midlifecrisis

Rory satisfied

it produces very decent bass when run in

also, if you leave an inch or so of the original captive mains lead and fit an IEC adaptor, it shouldnt' invalidate the warranty (did you know Marantz's come with 2 year guarantees by the way)

Rory, Jan 6, 2004
  3. midlifecrisis

yes, I was planning to move across the IEC from my old amp so I could use the cable I made up from Kimber mains. I'm not too fussed about the warranty actually - it was only a tenner for the third year and you get your money back if you don't make use of it.. those speaker terminals are irritating me, but it looks as if the block unscrews so I might see if I could get hold of some better ones to fit instead. I suspect this will be one of the things they fix on the Ki version when it finally appears (gave up waiting for that..)

midlifecrisis, Jan 6, 2004
  4. midlifecrisis

Rory satisfied

just noticed you're in Ipswich too- you didn't get it from Bennetts, did you?

they do take banana plugs- just have to prise out the black protector thingies

Rory, Jan 6, 2004
  5. midlifecrisis

No, I got it in Richer Sounds by Liverpool St station near where I work - £239, which I thought was pretty good. Our local Sevenoaks (who are pretty good at getting more upmarket stuff in to try) was asking £269 - didn't try Bennetts.

Thanks for the tip on the speaker sockets - I'll get digging..

midlifecrisis, Jan 7, 2004
  6. midlifecrisis

mr cat Member of the month

Hi Midlife,
    just a quick question here - I'm going to sonn be buying a new amp (2-300 notes) and I'm going to be auditioning the rotel, nad, cambridge audio and marantz - what made you buy this amp..??

Did you demo any others..??

cheers

mr cat, Jan 7, 2004
  7. midlifecrisis

Mr Cat, I have to admit I went against my principles and usual practice and bought it blind based on some very good reviews - particularly in HFNews, which is normally pretty reliable - and a big discount. I didn't listen to any of the amps you list. This is for a spare system which is in my gym, so I just wanted something punchier with rock music than the Arcam Delta 60 I had in there before, which will find its way to my son. I trusted the reviews enough to take a punt. When I pick components for my main system then yes, I audition, and against a wide range of music.

Now it's had a chance to warm up overnight it definitely is starting to sound better, though I'd still hope for more bass to emerge. It is fast and dynamic, which is pretty much what I was after - and certainly very good for the price.

midlifecrisis, Jan 7, 2004
  8. midlifecrisis

..still waiting for the bass

I've had these playing CDs 24/7 since I bought them also put a decent mains lead on and moved back to banana plugs. And I'm still getting a pretty thin sound, with little bass. How long in your experience do they take to blossom? Must say I'm beginning to regret this...

midlifecrisis, Jan 14, 2004
  9. midlifecrisis

Donut

I thought the PM7200 had a loudness button and tone controls - I know many people on these fora think that if you need to use tone controls you have a problem but if you've got them it would be worth a try, particularly as this in not your main system.
    Donut

Donut, Jan 14, 2004
  10. midlifecrisis

blogger

Ive had a PM7200 for a few months now - but have never had a "thin" sound, had bagfulls of bass straight out of the box. Could it be the source and speaker combination?? I've never had to use the tone controls.
    Donut there is no loudness button on the PM7200 - but I think some NAD's do.

blogger, Jan 14, 2004
  11. midlifecrisis

Rory satisfied

Re: ..still waiting for the bass

we have our pm7200 on 11 hours a day, 7 days a week so I guess its run in now :D

the pm4x series have loudness buttons, the pm6x and 7x series don't...

Rory, Jan 14, 2004
  12. midlifecrisis

found it!

Found the bass at last! The running in did bring some improvemen, but mot much. I then stuck my TAG DAC 20 in, from my other system. Suddenly, heaps of bass. Which is something of a mixed blessing, as I don't want to have to use the DAC there. The lack of bass is attributable to the Pioneer dv656, previousoly obscured by thew old Arcam delta 60 amp, whose bass had developed a boominess that hid the problem. So apologies PM7200, all is forgiven!

midlifecrisis, Jan 17, 2004
Ask a Question