PMC AML1 Active Speakers

For Sale: Discussion in 'Classified Adverts' started by Tenson, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Tenson

Tenson Moderator

These are absolutely brilliant. I am only selling them because I want to try going DIY.

I have never heard a better stand mount, that simple. The active electronics use the same circuitry as a Bryston 3B-SST for the woofers and a 2B-SST for the tweeters with a 10B active crossover. Thats at least £4,000 worth of electronics already! On top of which you get a speaker which uses the PMC flat piston woofer which extends to 33Hz anechoic (I get 28Hz in my room) and their top of the line tweeter (used in the BB5 and MB2) which takes over from 1.4KHz up to 25Kz. They also come with their custom stands which bolt in to the bottom of the speakers.

There is not one bad review of these speakers and there are very few on the second-hand market, for a very good reason!

I made two small modifications. I bypassed the gain control for less signal degradation and I removed the ‘phase plate’ on the tweeter which revealed more detail. I can easily un-do both modifications if you so wish.

These were originally about £3,500 plus £200 for the stands.

Asking £2,200 ono.

You are very welcome to come and hear them. I am in Gravesend, Kent. Better to have pickup as they are heavy but I could arrange postage if requested, I estimate it will be around £70.

Thanks,
    Simon

As you can see from the picture, my room is messy, but I take decent care of the speakers!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2008
    Tenson, Feb 5, 2006
  2. Tenson

Tenson Moderator

HERE is Edward Bear, coming downstairs now, bump, bump, bump, on the back of his head...

Tenson, Feb 7, 2006
  3. Tenson

Tenson Moderator

Bump.

Make an offer, I won't bite you :JOEL:

Tenson, Feb 10, 2006
  4. Tenson

Tenson Moderator

Bumpy bop do wigi wigi chaa! :boogie:

Tenson, Feb 17, 2006
  5. Tenson

Tenson Moderator

:jig:

Tenson, Feb 17, 2006
  6. Tenson

Will The Lucky One

Somewhat OT, since I can't hope to pay for these speakers, fine as the are, so consider this a free bump if nothing else! :)

The blue finned thing in your picture...zalman reserator? :cool:

Will, Feb 18, 2006
  7. Tenson

Tenson Moderator

Yup :)

Tenson, Feb 18, 2006
  8. Tenson

brystonforsale

Tenson,

Since I moved my large kit into a small room I've sold my room filling PMC IB2's. Looks like my power house amps have met a miserly reserve now too. Hopefully they'll climb a little more yet.

Anyhow, I've since ordered some more appropriate 'near field' monitors. I swung a convenient trade in on my IB's and bagged a good deal on a brand new pair of AML1's. Looking forward to the extra insight the active layout and upgraded treble will offer.

I may have to ask you a few details about that new fangled behringer set up and general acoustics soon.

Anyway good luck with the AML sale. I reccommend anyone who appreciates an honest and open window on the recording to buy these babies.

brystonforsale, Feb 18, 2006
  9. Tenson

brystonforsale

P.S I need a new forum name idea too. I changed it recently for my sale hype :) Ideas on a postcard accepted...

brystonforsale, Feb 18, 2006
  10. Tenson

Tenson Moderator

Have you got them yet Paul?

I think you may find they are even better than the IB2 in a suitably sized room. I felt they had much better treble and midrange, at the expense of not such extended bass though... but it is just a case of the right size speakers for the right size room.

Where abouts are you? Feel free to drop in for a comparison any time before I sell 'em on. I can show you the Behringer.

Tenson, Feb 18, 2006
  11. Tenson

brystonforsale

AML arrival in a week or so.

Thanks for the invite. I may PM you about that in the near future. (I'd be travelling from Maldon CM9).

I trust your keeping the behringer? I will need some set up tips. Where's best to order it from?

Definately as case of appropriate speaker for the space available. I now listen to tunes in a room only just larger than brystons new speaker array, from the sound of it!

brystonforsale, Feb 19, 2006
  12. Tenson

Tenson Moderator

Ask Brizonbiovizier where he got his DEQ, £169 new apparently.

I will be keeping it, I just thought you might like to hear the AML in a different room; treated and with the Behringer DEQ.

Tenson, Feb 19, 2006
  13. Tenson

anon_bb Honey Badger

On ebay

anon_bb, Feb 19, 2006
  14. Tenson

brystonforsale

Sure, I'd like to hear what they can do in the optimum tweeked environment. I think I'll wait a few weeks at least though, to allow mine to arrive and run in. Apparently they change in sound quite a lot from new, until they have bed in properly. Also I need time to get used to the new room and the AML sound on familiar tracks.

I went for the slate grey front panels in the end. I see the panels are removable a la nokia, to aid colour swaps or custom colours, which is something PMC offer as an option. I didn't want to wait ages for a one off job though. In the future I may get the panels painted white through a pro sprayer I know. Maybe. I saw a pair of custom white ones on the net some time ago and they looked good in a white room anyway. :MILD:

15. Tenson

Tenson Moderator

DigDesign (ProTools) have all theirs made white.

It is not quite as simple as it seems to 'swap' the colours though. The bits on the amp plate need changing too if you want it done fully. PMC told me it would be pretty expensive.

I can't say the sound of mine changed very much from when I got them.

Tenson, Feb 19, 2006
  16. Tenson

Ya-Boo

Brystonforsale

I do hope the Teac /Bryston / IB2 sytem I heard the other week was not yours :If it was I hope you were'nt offended by my comments but it really did sound dire.
    in that small room they were never gonna work, the AML1's will amaze you honest,they are certainly not a backward step

Ya-Boo, Feb 19, 2006
  17. Tenson

brystonforsale

Not mine, as I've not invited anyone from a forum as yet.

The IB's need a lot of room to breathe - ideally 1m from all walls. I found moving them closer muddied things somewhat. Obviously you also need a top level hifi chain preceeding them, otherwise they will reveal how poor the signal is, or how distorted the amps are more likely. PMC's require a lot of current to drive those subs correctly, particuarly as they are 4ohm loads. Many amps are too puny for even modest volume and control. From what you say the room was poor at the very least. I also heard the IB's in cornflake's demo room, where the presentsation of bass accuracy varied from one location to another - all down to the room and it's nodes etc.

My lounge was borderline large enough, my new den is a joke in size by comparison, hence I need near field now. Any smaller and I'll be using headphones :)

18. Tenson

Ya-Boo

Sorry,
    not many selling a pair of top line Bryston mono's & Ib2's
    at the same time my mistake

Ya-Boo, Feb 20, 2006
  19. Tenson

dunkyboy

Actually, I was thinking just the opposite. :)

Dunc

dunkyboy, Feb 20, 2006
  20. Tenson

Tenson Moderator

Roll up roll up fellow audiophiles, witness an amazing transformation of your system. You won’t believe what your ears and eyes are telling you! Only £2,200 ono.

Tenson, Feb 21, 2006
Ask a Question