Podium Sound speakers -- Revolutionary?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Garmt, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Garmt

Shuggie

I have to agree with all that's been said about the Podiums, based on a brief listen yesterday at Heathrow. I do try not to dismiss anything out of hand when heard in unfamiliar circumstances, but these were, to my ears, grey and cheap sounding, with no depth of sound or any grace. A real contrast was the Rountree room (see http://rountree-acoustics.com/ ) where they were showing a truly radical omnidirectional speaker design, which showed real poise and grace. The DPS primary drive speakers sounded enticing, too.

Shuggie

Shuggie, Sep 22, 2007
  2. Garmt

Purite Audio Purite Audio

Poise and grace but a very harsh treble and no bass!

Purite Audio, Sep 22, 2007
  3. Garmt

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Yes, the ribbon tweeter (I am presuming it was a ribbon) was very nice and open.

The mid-room placement of the omni (if this is a pre-requisite for an ideal location) would hamper the design for many.

bottleneck, Sep 22, 2007
  4. Garmt

JANDL100

Hi Bottle

I heard the Podium 2s in both of the rooms they had them .... and, errr ... no. I wasn't at all convinced this time around

My only possible/plausible excuses for my change of mind are that a) I was hearingthe 2s not the 1s and b) the cosmetics have had a total re-vamp since last year so maybe they've changed the sound too .... ?

OK, let's be fair, when the going was even and steady and not too busy they could sound engangingly different from more conventional speakers. And I did quite enjoy them in that mode. But they seemed to "lose it" when the dynamics opened up or the mix got busy.

Still a nice solid sort of sound that is rare - if only they could build on this foundation in a more musical way.

I understand they are based on the same principle as the old Sumo Aria by Paul Burton. Anyone remember them? The Arias had a single driver in the centre(ish) of a large plastic diaphragm - the central driver made the whole sheet vibrate. Apparently, the Podiums use the same principle but with 4 or 6 drivers (for the Podium 2 & 1 resp). The sound of the Arias (from what I recall of a single dem about 20 years ago!!) was very similar in terms of good/poor aspects. But the Podiums are a definite advance, I think.

I wonder if Paul Burton was involved in the Podium design too?
    _____

P.S. I've put a long Show Report covering many of the interesting things (to me) on the Show thread.

JANDL100, Sep 23, 2007
  5. Garmt

Paul Burton is the man behind the Roundtree Acoustic speakers the one with the ribbon tweeters and downward firing driver.

Purite Audio, Sep 23, 2007
  6. Garmt

JANDL100

Yes, but I think he's been doing more than one project recently ....

JANDL100, Sep 23, 2007
  7. Garmt

I thought the podiums were solely the responsibility of the American guy, who was at the show.

8. Garmt

JANDL100

Ah, could be, I don't know. There has been a bit of an air of secrecy about the Podium Project.

It just seems a really strange coinicidence about the same design principles being used in the Sumo Aria and Podium speakers, with Paul Burton being active in the right place at the right time. Pure conjecture though, on my part.

JANDL100, Sep 23, 2007
  9. Garmt

I was chatting to Paul, and he did mention his Sumo Aria speaker, I hadn't heard of them ( typically of course ), if my speakers make a sound like the podiums I would keep them a secret too! Keith.

10. Garmt

audioaddict

Just come back from the heathrow show 23 sept,listened for long periods to the .5s,i have to say that they produced the most beautiful rendition of acoustic/classical music I have heard at any price.Probably not for head bangers,majority of people in the signature room were bowled over by the clarity,detail,transparency and sheer emotion these speakers possess.For me,a bargain at £3669.

audioaddict, Sep 26, 2007
  11. Garmt

JANDL100

^^ I heard them first thing on Saturday, and this time around I wasn't impressed - but it may be that the equipment wasn't warmed up properly by then - that can make a big difference.

I'd liked the bigg'uns a lot previous years.

JANDL100, Sep 26, 2007
  12. Garmt

G0od session with the q tips needed.

Purite Audio, Sep 26, 2007
  13. Garmt

JANDL100

No - I don't think it's fair to say that.

We all hear things differently - you found those Rountree speakers harsh - when I played my CD thru them, I thought they were a bit on the laid back side!

We'ze all different, ya know!

JANDL100, Sep 26, 2007
  14. Garmt

Jerry please!!!!!!!!
    Lets all go around to audioaddicts place when he has them installed!

Purite Audio, Sep 26, 2007
  15. Garmt

JANDL100

Coops - I hated the sound of the Focal speakers at the Show - others loved 'em. There's no right or wrong to personal preferences.

JANDL100, Sep 26, 2007
Ask a Question