Pointy cones question

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by larkrise, Feb 13, 2007.

1. larkrise

larkrise Sheepdogs prefer red wine

:D

Sorry in advance if this really silly - but - pointed cones such as RCR etc - the ones you put under your amp, turntable etc to improve sound - de-coupling and so on. Is there a correct way round - do the points touch the unit and bottom flat on base or other way round? Is there a view - does it matter???

Sorry if may have offended anyone but serious query.:MILD:

larkrise, Feb 13, 2007
  2. larkrise

Jimbo

First of all you haven't offended me but i am sure some have, o well sod them eh.
    Just try them in different positions and listen for yourself. I suppose the flat down will be the sturdiest as less chance of toppling. Always thought that the point down would be the best option as this means less contact with the shelf and so less vibration getting through. Jim.

Jimbo, Feb 13, 2007
  3. larkrise

Yeah - thinking speaker stand spikes then point should be down - but just wondered - suppose sideways is a no?

larkrise, Feb 13, 2007
  4. larkrise

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

does it matter which way they point in reality? i guess whichever is the flattest surface might be the best for the none pointy side from a stability/rocking viewpoint.

anyone with definate experience of them sounding better a certain way up?

sq225917, Feb 13, 2007
  5. larkrise

zanash

from my playing ......

it depends on the equipment and the cones etc and the floor ...which doesn't answer the question ...

for me cone couple ...not decouple ...they act as a vibration path rather than a method of isolation .....

if you really are that bothered get a stethescope and listen to the units with and without cones. You need to generate an audible vibration I use a screwdriver to tap the floor or the stand or the unit and listen to the effects coupling and decoupling make. The stethescope needs to be placed on each unit in turn while you try to make consistant taps on the floor ..for example.

Its a salutary experience to listen to how the vibrations are effected by each type of decoupling or coupling ....I'll say no more !

zanash, Feb 14, 2007
  6. larkrise

Thanks for that - i think I'll take the units blood pressure too whilst I'm at it.

larkrise, Feb 14, 2007
  7. larkrise

Snoo

Also, The unit will only ever rest it's weight on 3 points. So arrange in a triangle rather than using 4 cones.

Snoo, Feb 14, 2007
  8. larkrise

penance Arrogant Cock

Only if the surfave is uneven.

penance, Feb 14, 2007
  9. larkrise

julian2002 Muper Soderator

i thought this was going to be a discussion about early 90's maddonna. never mind....

julian2002, Feb 14, 2007
  10. larkrise

Snoo

No. It will not rest its weight on all 4 points as they are not all equal in length. Even though they are damned close. With 4 there will be a very tiny rocking between two of the feet. You may not feel it but it is there. In theory at least. (I'm sure you've sat on a school chair that rocks for an extreme example).

Whether it's an issue in reality is a different matter. But where people talk about electronic vibration, then it's surely best to go with 3 feet to satisfy the mechanics of weight distribution.

Snoo, Feb 14, 2007
  11. larkrise

unclepuncle

I think pointy cones are best point side down with a big scoop of ice cream and a flake in the top:D

unclepuncle, Feb 14, 2007
  12. larkrise

rollo

This is the BEST ADVISE you will ever get on this subject.It works every time.
    rollo

rollo, Feb 14, 2007
  13. larkrise

McLogan

I use RDC cones under my turntable, on a glass surface. They make an audible improvement. They come with cone cups and footers so there is no stability problem as far as cone-up vs cone-down goes.

I can't hear any difference between either configuration.

McLogan, Feb 16, 2007
Ask a Question