policy poll

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by bottleneck, Dec 11, 2004.

?

Which statement most closely resembles your opinion?

1. I feel that posts involving accuracy/blind testing/double blind testing should be banned under AUP

8 vote(s)
    15.1%
  2. I feel these topics are relevant and shouldnt be banned./ Freedom of speech.

45 vote(s)
    84.9%
  1. bottleneck

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Interested in the forum feelings on the contained poll.

Its a contentious question, but Im hoping with a simple vote either way we'll get an idea of how the forum feels.

NB
    Please dont discuss the poll in a thread (counterproductive I feel), lets just get an idea of how people feel.

Hope you think thats a good idea.

Chris

bottleneck, Dec 11, 2004
  2. bottleneck

Will The Lucky One

I say keep them as they are interesting issues to consider, but a bit more acceptance and tolerance of 'the other side' in each respective argument is needed IMHO, that goes both ways.

Its somewhat tiresome (as something of a subjectivist who thinks cables do make a difference, measured accuracy in some specific way isn't the be all and end all, and cd players and amplifiers do sound difference) to have it constantly hinted at that its all in my mind, or that I'm deaf, deluded or whatever, equally for the other side (the objectivist) it must be annoying when people to totally disregard any scientific evidence of accuracy through a null test or whatever as somebody talking out of their arse.

This forum reads like a fundamentalist forum at times, with insults, arrogance and very condescending tone of many posts recently making it a chore rather than a pleasure to read. If people could just agree to disagree rather than bombarding every thread with snide comments about accuracy being the be all and end all, or people being deluded, or led by marketing hype, etc, then it'd be a much more pleasant atmosphere all round.

Will, Dec 11, 2004
  3. bottleneck

rob SCHMOOOOKIN

isent accuracy system dependant?
    i mean , if every one had a system that can reveal the difference in things such as different cables then this question might be relevant but i think the argument might exist between peoples system's capabilities and system circumstances rather than putting it down to truth or old wives tale.

rob, Dec 11, 2004
  4. bottleneck

ditton happy old soul

It would be tedious and contentious to try to censor discussion, but I do hope that the level of tolerance of each other's views improves. its only hifi afterall. several posts on those thread, sometimes from unexpected quarters, turn out to be interesting, and even informative. It would be good to reduce yahboo'ing; it takes all sorts to make a world

ditton, Dec 11, 2004
  5. bottleneck

lordsummit moderate mod

Why not have a section for contentious arguments, perhaps a branch of the kindergarten, where if people want to argue and disagree they can.
    Although a moments thought tells me that that would sap the life from the forum a bit like the REL thread did. I should know about that I was as guilty as anyone. Perhaps a few guidelines about topics that are tedious.. Mana right or wrong, DB testing etc, and a bit of moderately advice at crunch times.

lordsummit, Dec 11, 2004
  6. bottleneck

Chris Jennings

I think it is important that these things are discussed, hopefully in a civil manner.

No progress can be made without doubt over the existing truths and ideals. Progress only occurs when the norm is challenged (appologies if anyone here is called norman ;)

Chris Jennings, Dec 11, 2004
  7. bottleneck

sideshowbob Trisha

I think problems happen when people take unnecessary umbrage when other people express opinions that they don't agree with. My view is that the person who reacts badly is nearly always the one at fault, except in the rare cases when something personally offensive gets posted. In the real world, people have differences of opinion. If adults on an internet forum choose to act like sulky teenagers when they're challenged with a different POV, even if that POV is expressed with irritating sarcasm or tedious evangelism, that's entirely their problem.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Dec 11, 2004
  8. bottleneck

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Personally I think some of the discussions have been amusing. Its strange how this "hobby" of ours has people bickering in such a childish manner about things which just arent that important. If your system makes nice noises to your ears then what does it matter what anyone else thinks, and is it worth getting upset about it? I've come to realise not... people are very set in their opinions and beliefs and people rarely ever change this (only one I can think of from the top of my head is Michael and his cables / DAC ;))... so rather than censor what can be written, why is dont instead those who get so upset about someone else disagreeing with them could perhaps calm down and debate things in a more light hearted manner...

I really feel that some people need to step back for a moment, and look at what they write from an alternative perspective, because from this perspective, its quite laughable...

PBirkett, Dec 12, 2004
  9. bottleneck

rob SCHMOOOOKIN

she's nice.

rob, Dec 12, 2004
  10. bottleneck

PBirkett VTEC Addict

She certainly is

PBirkett, Dec 12, 2004
  11. bottleneck

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

crikey paul you get more attractive every night,any way na dont ban them,but then again lets keep it sensible,

themadhippy, Dec 12, 2004
  12. bottleneck

Saab

over moderate a bbs,either by prescribing what can and cannot be discussed,or getting too sensitive when it gets heated,and the bbs will die.Thats just my humble opinion after 7 years in these things.

Saab, Dec 12, 2004
  13. bottleneck

notaclue

Yes. It's frustrating on both sides. But, 99% of the time, this forum is good-natured and not at all rude or personal. Have a look at the audio groups at Google Groups if you want rude! Unfortunately, some people do seem to take the topic of DBT etc. as a personal attack when that is not the intention. I think an audio forum must allow all opinions.

notaclue, Dec 12, 2004
  14. bottleneck

eisenach

Why?

eisenach, Dec 12, 2004
  15. bottleneck

notaclue

Is that 'Why?' a question carrying on from my last post or a general anguished cry against the futility of life?

If the former, because I think it creates a truly informed debate. Before I read the Internet forums, I only got one side from the mags'. Forums gave me both sides and I'm very grateful that they did (and still do).

If the latter, I'm sorry but I'm unable to answer that.

notaclue, Dec 12, 2004
  16. bottleneck

Rory satisfied

I started a thread earlier this week having just got my DCT cables back and I thought i would just share the good news. I didn't expect to have my thread bombarded with 6 or 7 'reputable' and I thought, respectable members posting loads of crap saying how much of it was a figment of my own imagination and something along the lines of I should just connect my equipment up with bits of wet string.

There is absolutely no room for people like myself or Will in this forum to have our own views even just considered for a few seconds- you'd rather just troll and post idiotic spam as you've got nothing else better to do.

Rory, Dec 12, 2004
  17. bottleneck

penance Arrogant Cock

Rory
    I was one of the replies to your post, mine was in jest. As i hope you know i do believe ;)
    Sorry for helping to derail your thread

penance, Dec 12, 2004
  18. bottleneck

Rory satisfied

it only takes 2 or 3 posts 'in jest' to mislead some other members. Maybe you will bear this in mind when 'contributing'

Rory, Dec 12, 2004
  19. bottleneck

penance Arrogant Cock

Like I said Rory, i do appologise, sincerly.
    I feel my contributions are over for zg anyway.

penance, Dec 12, 2004
  20. bottleneck

michaelab desafinado

Rory, Julian's reply to your post (the first reply on the thread) was the one that brought up wet string and it was entirely in jest. It was a humourous jibe at the objectivists.

I personally feel that banning certain topics of discussion is counterproductive, not to mention a lot more work for the mods. My views are pretty much in agreement with sideshowbob's post further up the thread.

Michael.

michaelab, Dec 12, 2004
Ask a Question