Poll on trade members

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by lordsummit, Aug 11, 2008.

?

Should members of the trade include their interest in their signature?

1. Explicitly with a link to their website if possible

43 vote(s)
    59.7%
  2. Generically, ie 'purveyor of finest snake oil to overpaid muppets'.

13 vote(s)
    18.1%
  3. No, it's the trade members decision

16 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. lordsummit

lordsummit moderate mod

Ok guys (and any gals) reading. What do you think, should members identify any trade interests in the interests of openness.

Comments welcome.

lordsummit, Aug 11, 2008
  2. lordsummit

D Louth 77

This is deeply un-fair and too narrow ,so lets have every one un-masked . No one able to hide behind a made up name etc . We will all know who says what . To do anything else is discrimination.

D Louth

D Louth 77, Aug 11, 2008
  3. lordsummit

Dev Moderator

D Louth,

I think all we are saying is that all trade members should declare themselves as such. In your case, it'll hardly make any difference since most active members already know that you are in the trade.

Dev, Aug 11, 2008
  4. lordsummit

hifi addict

The problem with being a trade member is, if you make a point about something it is easily knocked as a selling point or you have an ulterior motive in making money out of poor unsuspecting forum members. The general feeling of suspicion of trade members on any forum doesn't really make it easy to express your personal views. Is it worth it? A trade member especially dealing with a lot of second hand equipment probably has the most experience with different pieces of hifi equipment then anybody else.

The only thing a trade member can do is advertise on the trade section which is the least used section of the site.

Private members can talk up items they want to sell on the hifi sections recommend their own kit they want to sell on any section of the forum. As soon as a dealer does it even with good intention suggesting the product they have would be perfect with their system it will simply be deleted for breaching the AUP.

I think the best thing to do is ban all trade members from commenting on the forums and keep them to adverts. That way the public will be safe from the Hifi trade as they will safely behind the electric fence.

hifi addict, Aug 11, 2008
  5. lordsummit

Purite Audio Purite Audio

Dealers do hear a lot , and have a great deal of experience with kit, I think it would be a shame to completely ban them from the forum, I just ask they be upfront about who they are and what they sell.

Purite Audio, Aug 11, 2008
  6. lordsummit

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

I agree with Coops.

All dealers / manufacturers / etc have opinions it's interesting to hear, such a lot of knowledge in many cases.

Nice to know who you're talking to though

bottleneck, Aug 11, 2008
  7. lordsummit

Graffoeman

Couldn't put it better.

Graffoeman, Aug 11, 2008
  8. lordsummit

mr cat Member of the month

in the name of consistency opyion 1 - othwise I don't really care :)

more important things in life to worry about

mr cat, Aug 11, 2008
  9. lordsummit

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

It's simple, if you are a dealer don't talk trash about other brands, then there's no trouble. keep a civil tongue in your head and everything will be fine.

Anyone can spot shit advice, but it's nice to know when you see said 'advice' if they are a dealer or not.

sq225917, Aug 11, 2008
  10. lordsummit

lbr monkey boy

That's a fair point and I think it's also largely the point that D Louth has been making (not wishing to put words in his mouth).

However, the key point that I think is being overlooked is that this isn't simply about one right and one wrong answer, it's a question of which is the lesser of two evils:

- allowing valuable forum members who are also trade members to post unencumbered
    or
    - allowing all forum members to take into account the potential bias in the posts of a trade member

In my opinion transparency, whilst it might lead to some valuable opinion being unfairly disregarded, ultimately leads to a greater environment of trust and hopefully everyone will get more value from that.

lbr, Aug 11, 2008
  11. lordsummit

Corky 20th Century survivor

Buckinghamshire and soon moving to Yorkshire
    I believe that trade members have a huge amount to bring to a forum like this, but it does need transparency where possible to avoid misunderstanding. I've seen a dealer responding to posts about her dealership on another (completely unrelated to hi fi) without declaring that's who she was. A serious shot in the foot resulted on her part...

Corky, Aug 12, 2008
  12. lordsummit

Samantha

We all have jobs AND private lives.

If someone wants to contribute on here as a trader, then they state they are in the trade. But is someone wants to contribute as a private individual, then I think it is wrong to force them into being a 'trader' 24/7.

I can express an opinion on fiscal matters etc without it having anything whatsoever to do with my employment. My training and experience may mean my opinions are fairly well informed, but they are still MY opinions.

Samantha, Aug 12, 2008
  13. lordsummit

Joe

I am completely unqualified to write about anything at all, thus being the perfect forum contributor.

Joe, Aug 12, 2008
  14. lordsummit

SMEagol Because we wants it...

I don't know anymore either... to each their own in my book.

SMEagol, Aug 12, 2008
  15. lordsummit

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

I like people being able to be whoever they want to be on the internet, hidden, open whatever.

I don't like hidden agendas though.

Tough one isn't it?!

bottleneck, Aug 12, 2008
  16. lordsummit

DavidF

"The problem with being a trade member is, if you make a point about something it is easily knocked as a selling point or you have an ulterior motive in making money out of poor unsuspecting forum members"

So members in the trade could have vested interest....or be thought to have a vested interest.

An unfortunate implication when they undoubtedly have a lot of knowledge to offer.

Honesty and openess is usually the best policy ime....how are you combine the two ideals I don't know......and frankly i'm not bothered.

Maybe option 2 is the answer....as LS said (ithink) perveyer of of fine wires/cones whatever.

"There are other things in life to worry about" . Quite right.

edit; I reallly wouldn't like to say how i'd vote to be sure.

DavidF, Aug 12, 2008
  17. lordsummit

Joe

I think it's a circle that can be squared though. As long as the 'hidden' dealer doesn't try to sell anything, there's no problem. Once they do try to sell something, they've effectively outed themselves.

Joe, Aug 12, 2008
  18. lordsummit

Neil

It's no big deal - if someone gives sage advice / valuable opinions they give sage advice / valuable opinions etc , if they give crap advice or whatever they give crap advice ..... etc. Individual or trader it matters not. If someone wishes to contribute as a private individual as opposed to a spokesperson for a brand / purveyer of whatever then I would support that decision.
    As this has sprung from a discussion of D Louth then I'd say he has done nothing but enrich the forum with his contributions thus far - dealer / trader - makes not one jot of difference. IMO ;-)

Neil, Aug 13, 2008
  19. lordsummit

scott_01

I totally agree. D Louth seems to present his views in a logical and reasoned manner. His postings and approach from the trade perspective have added value IMHO and he hasn't appeared to be trying to sell anyone anything (that I can see). I think we should let him and others retain their privacy as long as this continues.

scott_01, Aug 25, 2008
  20. lordsummit

The Devil IHTFP

Why would any traders wish to conceal the fact that they are in the business of selling hi-fi equipment?

The Devil, Aug 25, 2008
Ask a Question