Portable radio with a good graphic equaliser

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Sandi, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Sandi

Sandi

Does anyone in UK know of a portable radio with a good graphic equaliser? I need one because I can't hear the lower speech tones comfortably.

Sandi, Mar 14, 2019
  2. Sandi

Labarum

The most common hearing impairment is high frequency loss - can't hear the high notes so consonants like "d", "p" and "t" become indistinct. The sibilants are lost.This problem gets worse with age.

You say you can't hear "the lower speech tones". Do you mean you cannot hear the lower frequencies of the human voice or you cannot hear speech when the volume is too low?

I suspect the latter, and I suspect you need treble lift (boost) not mid-band lift.

Listening to radio on Medium or Long Wave is to be avoided as the high frequencies are poor. FM is much better but you need a radio with a decent speaker to spit the words out.

Best of all listen on decent headphones or earbuds.

As for a radio with a graphic equaliser - there used to be many "Ghetto Blasters" on the market that had them - now whether they can deliver audio clean enough for you to find intelligible is another matter.

Labarum, Mar 14, 2019
  3. Sandi

Sandi

Thank you so much for your reply. It is not that I ' cannot hear speech when the volume is too low' it is the lower tones of (usually) men's voices in the main, for example, I can hear women speaking much clearer than men speaking... Also, I have a small rechargeable portable digital radio that I carry around room to room. All best.

Sandi, Mar 16, 2019
  4. Sandi

Labarum

Why don't you have a free hearing test? Boots or Specsavers do them.

Labarum, Mar 16, 2019
  5. Sandi

Romulus

I think you inadvertently scared of the OP.....!

Romulus, Mar 22, 2019
Ask a Question