Possibly.....A TVC

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by DaHood, May 1, 2007.

1. DaHood

DaHood

Been reading a few reports on the Promitheus TVC and I'm now really curious about getting one...

Before I delve into any purchases can anyone let me know if the Promitheus would be a good match for my system...(it's not anything fancy!)

I currently own

Exposure 3010 Integrated Amp
    Exposure 3010 Power Amp: 100W pc at 1KHZ @ 8ohms (Stereo) and 110W pc at 1KHZ @ 8ohms (Mono). Input impedance 18Kohm
    Musical Fidelity A3CD
    Beresford TC-7510 DAC
    Orelle The Swing Loudspeakers - Silver rewired 87db 150W

Given the above, will a Promitheus be a worthy addition? It would replace the 3010 Integrated.

DaHood, May 1, 2007
  2. DaHood

jaspal kallar

Diffcult to say. I have the TVC and my system (like yours not ultra hi end) is:

Micromega T-Drive -> Monarchy DIP -> Audiolab 8000 DAC -> Promitheus TVC -> 2 x (Cyrus Power + PSXR) -> Kef 103/4 (XLO IC's, Spkr cable)

I can best describe the sound as outlined in the forum:

http://www.echoloft.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=tell&action=display&num=1166843118&start=0

Look for review by the user "gingerpop" that is done on "Reply #10 on: 01/08/07 at 11:19:32".

- jaspal

Edit: what does your system sound like at present and what kind of music do you listen to?

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2007
    jaspal kallar, May 2, 2007
  3. DaHood

DaHood

To be honest my system sounds great. A friend put the idea of a separate preamp into my head rather than an integrated amp such as the 3010 i'm using now. Then came the subject of passive preamps.

I emailed Exposure and they provided me with some useful advice regarding passive pre's. I saw on Ebay the NVA P90 and the guy does a 14 day money back. I'm tempted to try it, but I really not sure at present!

Thanks for your help by the way.

DaHood, May 5, 2007
  4. DaHood

larkrise Sheepdogs prefer red wine

You might like to try and pick up a second hand Audio Synthesis passion - for around £300 - these are great Passive preamps my advice would be to go that route rather than an NVA. I do reccomend the Promitheus though - I've had two versions.

larkrise, May 5, 2007
  5. DaHood

DaHood

Thanks Larkrise......

I'm still in contemplation.....I love my music and the right sound is important to me...What I need to get my head round is the possbility of turning the volume knob up to appreciate a decent sound...If that makes sense!

DaHood, May 5, 2007
  6. DaHood

anubisgrau

as far as i am aware, a preamp section of exposure integrateds such as XXV is a passive one. maybe it is not enough to conclude that expo power amps are passive friendly but it is worth of try.
    i have promitheus with me and i keep on swinging between it and EAR 864 in my system. i think it is a very decent product considering the price but it is not an universal solution. to be frank i don't know a better preamp for money but still if you are really picky with the sound there is a room for improvement plus it has a DIY feel so its appearance is not up to everyone's taste.
    EAR 864 clearly wins in atmosphere, music vibe and (beleive or not) PRaT. promitheus clearly wins in transparency and low bass extension. basically some sort of bastard between the two would be the right stuff i suppose.

anubisgrau, May 5, 2007
  7. DaHood

DaHood

According to Exposure the 2010S is fitted with a passive preamp section; however that is not the case with the 3010 as they felt that the integrated sounded far better.

DaHood, May 5, 2007
Ask a Question