postage query...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by mr cat, Jan 10, 2008.

1. mr cat

mr cat Member of the month

hi guys...I'm selling a smallish (but worth over 50 quid) item on ebay and I'm charging 8 quid postage which will include special delivery (next day) and payment will be paypal.

got a question from a potential buyer saying he's interested but thinks my postage is too high!

now - as far as I'm away the the cost of special delivery will be almost a fiver - and my main concern is if I charge him for 1st class postage only and he claims he never received the parcel - paypal will side with him because I haven't used a trackable method (i.e. special delivery)...

so, is there a cheaper method that includes a trackable method, or can someone point me to a url (ebay or paypal) that stipulates that a paypal item has to be sent via trackable means?

cheers

p.s. do you think I'm charging to much?

mr cat, Jan 10, 2008
  2. mr cat

narabdela

£5 for postage+your time and the cost of packaging+the convenience of next day delivery+trackability+built in insurance.

£8 seems reasonable.

narabdela, Jan 10, 2008
  3. mr cat

la toilette Downright stupid

What's wrong with the standard recorded delivery option? It's not trackable whilst in the post but there is a record of the delivery. A lot cheaper than special delivery.

la toilette, Jan 10, 2008
  4. mr cat

mr cat Member of the month

thats just over a quid less (3.08 compared to 4.75) - plus it's not insured and royal mail recomend that valuable items go via special delivery...is 50 quid+ valuable?

but until I did the research I didn't think recorded was an acceptable method...hence my original question...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2008
    mr cat, Jan 10, 2008
  5. mr cat

ShinOBIWAN

I had the same just last week.

I was selling two 500Gb hard drives and since the parcel weighed just under 2Kg I put £12 for special delivery (actual cost was £12.75 to send). Some knob emails me telling me my postage is "extortionate". I sent one back asking him if I sent it via 1st class recorded for around £5 would he be happy with that. I then went on to sarcastically explain that it would only be covered for up to £35 and should it get damaged or go missing would he accept full responsibility and not bother me because he was too tight to pony up the extra couple of quid for full insurance. I never got a reply.

These tight arses are everywhere. They'll pay £100 for a couple of hard drives yet want them sent for nothing using inadequate postage services. They'll be the first to moan when it turns up in bits and they aren't fully covered.

Best advice is to stick the user in your banned list. People like that are to be avoided.

ShinOBIWAN, Jan 11, 2008
  6. mr cat

la toilette Downright stupid

Unless it's a really valuable item or going somewhere far afield (i.e. overseas) I'm generally happy with recorded delivery (very cheap for light-weight items), and if it's cheap stuff just 1st class just retaining proof of postage. 99% of people who I've dealt with on ebay seem to have been totally honest and friendly people, and I try not to worry about paypal buyer protection bollocks. The Post Office have their moments, but they're generally reliable - I've had more problems with couriers than with the P.O.

Personally I've not questioned anyone's postage charge as a buyer - I just factor the stated cost into my mental figure of what I'm prepared to pay - so I agree that if they're making a fuss about it then you'd be better off ignoring them. If I think someone is charging excessively (and there are lots of people who do), I don't bid.

la toilette, Jan 11, 2008
  7. mr cat

Hex Spurt

Like narabdela said, £8 seems reasonable when you consider all the factors. I take it you advertised the postage price in the sale so the buyer was aware of this when bidding?

Some folk have no sense of perspective on these things, A couple of quid more than ordinary 1st class for good piece of mind. Jeez.

Perhaps make a compromise? Offer him a choice of Sp Del for £7 or he could make his own arrangements with a courier to call and collect. That'll cost him at least as much and probably a lot more, plus he's got all the hassle of making the arrangements. He'll either put up or shut up. :JPS:

Regards

Hex Spurt, Jan 13, 2008
Ask a Question