power amp issue... (again!)

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by mr cat, Oct 27, 2007.

1. mr cat

mr cat Member of the month

hi guys - not sure if you remember some time ago that I started a thread (or even hijacked someone elses!) about my power amp and the fact that that sound was only coming through 1 speaker (my right one)...well, the issue has started again and ther last time I thought it was an IC as when I swapped some around the issue seemed to resolve itself (but when I watched dvds the problem arose there).

now, I just can't get any sound at all - when i turn it off overnight and back on - the issue seems to go away for a very short time...

now, I've disconnected all the cables - but I haven't (as such) tried the integrated amp by itself but I am 99.9% sure that the power amp has the issue...

any ideas what the issue could be..? - I guess it's something within the power amp - how much would it cost to get repaired..? do you think it's worth selling them (the c350 and c270) and getting a better integrated amp? that said, I'm happy with the Nad sound...or maybe just get a different power amp.?

cheers

mr cat, Oct 27, 2007
  2. mr cat

um......

mr cat, Oct 28, 2007
  3. mr cat

Tenson Moderator

Might it simply be a dodgy connection on the back of the RCAs? A bad selector switch?

Tenson, Oct 28, 2007
  4. mr cat

Garmt

I think the input has come loose from the board. The fact that it only works a short while after turn-on can be explained by the fact that when the amp heats up, the metals expand and probably loose contact with the board in some way.

Open up the amp and re-solder the connections. Probably it will do the trick (or have someone else with good soldering skills do it for you).

Garmt, Oct 29, 2007
  5. mr cat

ok guys - quick update...
    opened up the power amp last night and blew away a bit of dust! only a tiny bit tho...and i also noticed a few scorch marks on the top of the inside of the case (near the vents) - but the innards looks fine tho...!
    anyway, left it on - sounds ok, even this morning it seemed to be ok...and I've left it on and will test again tonight...

but in the meantime I have been looking at some other cheapo amps and have seen the following (300 each) -
    creek evo
    Rega Mira

any views on these..? - I like the nad sound as what i have oozes power and has a lot of grunt... would these even compare..? - I don;'t say that lightly as I've heard other amps (denson, MF etc) and they don't seem to have compared...

cheers

mr cat, Oct 30, 2007
  6. mr cat

Tenson Moderator

You could always use the pre-section of the amp and get yourself an Alesis RA500 or RA300 to do the power duty. I have these powering my system and they sound great. I had Bryston before, though it is hard to make a direct comparison as the speakers changed at the same time, but they do sound good. Superb build, too.

http://www.alesis.com/product.php?id=32

Tenson, Oct 30, 2007
  7. mr cat

that looks wonderful..! what kind of price?

mr cat, Oct 30, 2007
  8. mr cat

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

What you describe sounds exactly like a dry joint on the input - very easy to fix.

Neither the rega nor the creek will come remotely close to the grunt of the C270 - few amps, high end or not, will. Get the joints resoldered and live happily for years, free from upgraditis.

From some testing I have done, what I will say is that the pre-amp stage of NAD integrateds leaves much to be desired compared to the power stage. If you have money burning a hole in your pocket then replace the C350 with a C162 or if you can find one, an S100 - this will give a far more worthwhile upgrade in sound than replacing the C270.

I-S, Oct 30, 2007
  9. mr cat

thanks for that...very useful info! I'll search for them now... ;)

mr cat, Oct 30, 2007
  10. mr cat

Nomoretweaks Tourist on tilt

The is Exposure XXV RC on ebay for £250. Great amp if you like gutsy sound. (Not mine) Would be a good upgrade fron a NAD.

Nomoretweaks, Oct 30, 2007
  11. mr cat

Tenson Moderator

About £1500.

...actually just £150! :MILD:

Tenson, Oct 30, 2007
  12. mr cat

mr cat, Oct 30, 2007
  13. mr cat

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

I'm unconvinced that the RA500 would be an upgrade on the C270.

I-S, Oct 30, 2007
  14. mr cat

Tenson Moderator

It would if the Nad won't behave itself :) Otherwise its probably a small upgrade.

Tenson, Oct 30, 2007
  15. mr cat

I've just spoken to nad and they say that a service and also confirmation of what the issue is (plus major parts would be extra) and postage back to my home would be just under 100 notes - which isn't too bad...

mr cat, Oct 31, 2007
Ask a Question