Power amp recommendations?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by I-S, Feb 4, 2007.

1. I-S

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Ok, I'm having a bit of a play at the moment, and some equipment changes mean I'm looking for a power amp.

It doesn't have to be particularly powerful, as my listening environment isn't great for ear-shattering levels, and my speakers in my room are generally pretty sensitive. 20-30W is enough. Balanced inputs would be a plus, monoblocks also fine. NO VALVES.

I'm looking for something involving, musical, warm... It doesn't have to have the dynamics of an ICEpower amp, but it mustn't be flaccid (although that would tend to make it uninvolving to my ears anyway).

I was watching a pair of Sugden Symetra monos on ebay, but the listing was withdrawn. I made a half-hearted bid on an A21aP (which I didn't win), but I'm not convinced it's what I want.

Other things that have piqued my interest are ECA Lectern, NAD S200, Rotel RB991, Densen, Quad 99P, Quad 909, etc. Budget is £550 or so, absolutely no more than £600. Looking second hand because I'll obviously get more for my money that way.

Absolutely NO: Cyrus, Arcam, Naim, Audiolab, Chord.

I-S, Feb 4, 2007
  2. I-S

bemcsa

Out of interest why no valves when you want something involving, musical and warm, yet don't need much power?

bemcsa, Feb 4, 2007
  3. I-S

If there's a reliability issue going, my hifi tends to get it. I've been through blown amplifiers, dodgy CD transports, etc, etc. With my luck of these things, valves are just asking for trouble. And, although I don't need a lot of power right now, I have been known to crank it up to serious levels when I can. I have enjoyed some valve amps, but have heard plenty that I didn't find endearing.

I-S, Feb 4, 2007
  4. I-S

Tenson Moderator

If you can find it, look out for the Monarchy Audio SM-70.

Tenson, Feb 4, 2007
  5. I-S

julian2002 Muper Soderator

isaac,
    i'd recommend some of the vincent sp-t100's i have if you can find a pair (try audiomarkt.de) they do use valves but they are low power 'pre' stages and power regulation (iirc) with the big amp stage using transistors. mine have run flawlessly for a year and i'm not kind with the volume control. the thing is with these is that they actually sound better being played quietly rather than at 11 like my previous naim amps.
    they should be well in budget and are built like the proverbial brick out houses. worth a shot.

julian2002, Feb 5, 2007
  6. I-S

Dik Dolan

I think Tenson nailed it..... Monarchy Audio sm70 .

Dik Dolan, Feb 5, 2007
  7. I-S

unclepuncle

Theres a Michel Alecto Stereo MKII power amp on ebay - should only go for £250-300.

unclepuncle, Feb 5, 2007
  8. I-S

beeroclock

Hi - I would seriously look at Electrocompaniet, I think Top Cat has one for sale about over on PF, fully balanced solid state but with a lean towards a valve sound also has plenty of current so should work well at lower listening levels. (£550?).

I use a EC 100 dmb (dual mono), but am thinking of going the valve route - so this may be up for sale in the near future to :)

regards philip

beeroclock, Feb 5, 2007
  9. I-S

Dev Moderator

How about building a Gainclone? Cheap and cheerful. For your budget you should be able to get a pro amp like Crown K2 or the ones that Tensen recommended a while ago, but I can't think of their name at the moment. Sorry. I'm sure Tensen remembers the make/model.

Dev, Feb 5, 2007
  10. I-S

I am VERY much liking the Monarchy SM70. Will look into that one some more... I particularly like the way they've implemented the balanced input for monoblocking (which I could take advantage of).

Not sure that the vincents would come in budget by the looks of them, and probably tricky to get hold of? The michell looks interesting.

I-S, Feb 5, 2007
  11. I-S

stevehi-fi stevehi-fi

I can recommend Creek A52SE power amp. I have two of them, bridged as monoblocks.(80wpc to 250w) Stunnning sound -Balanced input too - rare as rocking horse ****.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2007
    stevehi-fi, Feb 5, 2007
  12. I-S

Levi_501 Its in The Jeans...

There is quite a bit of NOS cast alloy type Rega amps been popping up on fleabay recently, Cursa, Maia and Exons.

I am half tempted with a four pack of Exons

Levi_501, Feb 5, 2007
  13. I-S

stickman

$980 new for the SM70 seems like a veritable bargain. He and his wife are very nice to deal with; I imported a DIP direct from them a few years ago.

I thought you were hanging on for a "soon to be announced digital amp"....???

stickman, Feb 6, 2007
  14. I-S

Tenson Moderator

And I could hardly give mine away 8 months ago!! Sods law 'eh...

I think the one you mean Dev is the Alesis RA500. Its a very good amp but not exactly 'warm', just neutral. Also I'm not sure I would be quite so happy if I had not done some mods. Still a bargain for £150 each but not quite such a good one.

Tenson, Feb 6, 2007
  15. I-S

Chea Johndle Bizarre Serpent Foomaster

Chea Johndle, Feb 6, 2007
  16. I-S

Dev Moderator

That's the one!. I like neutral:).

Dev, Feb 6, 2007
  17. I-S

Stickman - in the meantime I'm having a play around with a few things.

I-S, Feb 6, 2007
  18. I-S

stickman

Don't we all.

stickman, Feb 6, 2007
  19. I-S

julian2002 Muper Soderator

isaac,
    there's a vincent d-150 hybrid over on audiophile candy for 295 firm. very similar to mine for what i can see except that it;s a stereo rather than 2 monos. 10 y/o with recent service.
    looks pretty good.
    cheers

julian.

julian2002, Feb 6, 2007
  20. I-S

Tenson Moderator

I think IF you can find it, a Monarchy Audio would be a better option unless you need lots of power. I know you said no Cyrus, but the original Cyrus 3 has a nice warm and funky sound. Not at all like the 3i onwards.

Tenson, Feb 6, 2007
Ask a Question