Power Amp Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by lukecon, Aug 6, 2005.

1. lukecon

lukecon

:confused: Hi new member.Looking to upgrade elderly Rotel power amp.Preamp is Linsley Hood Hart Electronics passive ,QED Silver Anniversaryspeaker cable,Ixos interconnects, Lima Xavierfloorstanders.+much modifiedCD63.Rather Bright room.Seen a pair of Meridian 605s . Reviews indicate warm but detailed sound. Worth a punt? Any other views ?Any for sale?Thanks Ian

lukecon, Aug 6, 2005
  2. lukecon

Mr Perceptive

I use Meridian Power Amps (557s) with Shahinian Arcs (fr) and Quad 22L's (rr), however I have no experience and little knowledge of the rest of your kit. They are very good and seem to have effortless reserves of power.

The 605 is though already quite old, and although the top of the range at the time, you might want to consider an amp from the newer 500 series as if it didn't work out it would be a lot easier to sell on.

Mr Perceptive

Mr Perceptive, Aug 7, 2005
  3. lukecon

zanash

You could look at the audiolab 8000p ....just like the one I picked up [which is for sale]

or go off the wall and use one of the sonic T-amps or there clones....they now do kits that will provide plus 100 watts and keep the fabulous sound these things make.

zanash, Aug 7, 2005
  4. lukecon

lukecon

Hi Zanash, thanks for your reply,been away. How much for your 8000P,What cond. ect.

lukecon, Aug 10, 2005
  5. lukecon

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Here is a nice power amp at the emporium

TALK ELECTRONICS HURRICANE 2 power amp 600 250

I dont know what your budget is though

bottleneck, Aug 10, 2005
  6. lukecon

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

Given that your pre-amp is passive, you have to take more care than ususal in selecting a replacement power amp. The following is a post from SCIDB regarding matching the requirements of passive pre. I'd also research whole issue more carefully before going ahead with a purchase:

"They offer less in the signal path to affect the signal. There will also be no power supply noise and line amp circuit noise or distortion.They can offer very good detail, resolution and transparency to the sound.

The downside is that they are affected by the load of the interconnect cable, the input impedance of the power amp and the value of the passive. You are at the mercy of the quality and design of the volume control.

They work well with high input impedances on the power amp, low capacitance cable and high sensitivity on the power amp. Also a input device with good drive capabilities is good to use.

Some people like them, so people don't.

The two links go into more detail.

http://www.dact.com/html/passive_preamp.html

http://www.goldpt.com/

Another type of passive is the transformer based preamp. This uses multi tapped transformers to give the attenuation. But these offer cable driving ability so they don't have the potential weaknesses of normal passive preamps."

Hope this helps,

DT

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2005
    Dynamic Turtle, Aug 10, 2005
  7. lukecon

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

What are the Limas like?
    I've never heard them before even though they're made by an old beeb colleague of mine - very neutral or slightly LS3/5a-ish?
    How's about a look at the Rogue Audio range? Very good value..

leonard smalls, Aug 10, 2005
  8. lukecon

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

They are really punchy Len.

Zippy sounding, lots of energy. The little Xens (and they are wee ) are real quarts in pint pots, really quite a suprise.

You could either go the punchy energy route with them - like a belcanto type thing - playing to their strengths, or tame them back with something more fruity.

Personally I like things a bit less attacking, so I'd put a PP valve amp through them most likely. Would be good with a decent mosfet amp too I would have thought.. like the Conrad J 'MF' series.

Just my view, although I havent lived with them at home, just demo's and shows etc.

bottleneck, Aug 10, 2005
  9. lukecon

zanash

sorry............its gone, first come etc.

but if it falls through I'll contact you.....

thanks for your intrest

zanash, Aug 10, 2005
  10. lukecon

lukecon

Hi Leonard, notice from your kit review that you had/have apair of monoblocks for sale.Still available? Condition and how much?Do these compare with Meridian 605s. Thanks

lukecon, Aug 10, 2005
Ask a Question