Power and interconnect cable review.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by D Louth 77, Dec 18, 2008.

1. D Louth 77

D Louth 77

hi scidb

I have never had blind faith in anything not audio related or otherwise.

With audio I approach with an open mind and listen and if its good great and if not I do try to figure out why (sometimes I can't ). I don't believe audio companies promotion until I try a thing and maybe afterwards if the result is good I will concede that maybe they are on to something, though I must say that many companies do stretch credibility to breaking point. I think the classic example of this was/is Peter Belt (anyone remember that).

No I don't need Mr Devil for a thread about God but I might have to refer to the Devil to offer a full discussion. Not sure, could become very controversial and might (not deliberately cause offence ) to some. Difficult topic to discuss freely. I am happy to give it ago though and would try very hard not to do so (cause offence ).

However my link in post 53 does a lot of my job for me. If you can approach it with an open mind. Very controversial stuff, young earth etc.

Regards D Louth 77 :)

D Louth 77, Dec 23, 2008
  2. D Louth 77

lbr monkey boy

What a brilliant quote. You've made my night SCIDB :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

lbr, Dec 23, 2008
  3. D Louth 77

muzzer

This is deja vu.
    All we need now is Mike Lacey to join in.

muzzer, Dec 23, 2008
  4. D Louth 77

The Devil IHTFP

There is no meaningful chat to be had. You are almost certainly deluded, and I am almost certainly not deluded.

Happy Solstice.

The Devil, Dec 23, 2008
  5. D Louth 77

thrudge

Can't say I've tried many mains cables, but the ones I have tried I've never been able to tell the difference. Which seems to put me in the Hardline Cynical Joykillers With Attitude camp.

On the other hand, I have heard (please note 'heard', and not 'believed') differences in interconnect and speaker cable; the latter, in particular, have been huge differences. Not subtle. Which puts me in the I've Got Fairies at the Bottom of My Garden camp.

Is there a special group for the partially deluded like me? An 'I Can See the Faeries OK, but Elves? Elves?? Man, You Gotta be Kidding!!' kind of group?

thrudge, Dec 24, 2008
  6. D Louth 77

D Louth 77

Hi Devil

I think what you have said says a lot more about you than me so fair enough. I don't know when exchanging information on any topic is a waste of time, but if you are so certain of everything, well I am happy for you, obviously life has nothing to teach you, or you to learn anything from it.

I am Happy in my so called state of delusion.

Regards and best wishes to you anyway.

D Louth 77 :)

By the way I think that if you aren't in Politics maybe you should consider getting involved. I think Labour would be suited to you as they have a very similar view on things.

D Louth 77, Dec 24, 2008
  7. D Louth 77

George Sallit

What I like about these debates is that they aren't. We seem to suffer from very irrational comments from the so-called objectivists. I would expect the subjectivists to get trapped by 'powerful logic' and then be forced to come out with the following comments:

You are almost certainly deluded, and I am almost certainly not deluded.

On a different level, it matters because it's a part of the audiophoolery/dumbing-down/anti-science axes.

Ah well, the cable believers believe they can hear effects which cannot be shown by any method to be present. Some believe in "god" as well.

I must say the "Virtual Dynamics" link made me laugh. It's a transparent piece of nonsense, as any sensible person can see, or so I thought....

There's one born every minute.

You've just done precisely what really stupid religious people do, when presented with the lack of evidence for the existence of a god, or gods.

I see the cable believers are asking me to prove a negative, just like really dumb religious people do.

Some of this is not debate but insult, words like delusion, phool, nonsense, sensible and stupid.

In reality I have no problems with non believers and I would like it to be the case that I could not hear differences as that would save me money. But that is not the case for me. There is also some commonality of differences for cables in that most people who hear what a Transparent Audio cable does comment on the power in the bass from using this cable and the slightly rolled of top end. For Nordost users it is the exact opposite with them sounding lean and bass light. In fact these cables are diametrically opposed and if people hear differences they tend to state similar differences for these two types of cables. Of course they could be deluded but if only they were not so weak willed they could save a lot of money.:D

I've tried different mains cables which my dealer lent to me (they get them for free).

Wow this is a terrible business practice and I am not aware of it for Nordost, Transparent or Cardas cables. Which manufacturer does this?????

George Sallit, Dec 24, 2008
  8. D Louth 77

Listener666

mmm yes

AND also:

A band that Marc Moulin formed in the early 70's ..........whos deleted records fetch silly money on Eprey..........just thought i would add that bit of trivia as a jazzer :D:MILD::D

Listener666, Dec 24, 2008
  9. D Louth 77

The Devil IHTFP

Well, that's interesting. Why is this, do you think?

The Devil, Dec 25, 2008
  10. D Louth 77

George Sallit

Because they do actually sound different and that is what they sound like :).

Or do you think it is because we have all been conditioned by reviewers into believing that and therefore being of exceptionally weak minds and being completely ignorant of any science whatsoever have deluded ourselves into believing this utter tripe which has no basis in science on which you are all knowing and understand in fantastic detail ? (I have tried to paraphrase in the style of..)

George Sallit, Dec 28, 2008
  11. D Louth 77

Neil

Scientific "proof" which is acceptable on both sides of this particular fence(or any fence come to that) is not as easy to come by as one might think - anyone remotely connected with academia can testify to the sniping / peer review arguments etc which go on.
    Prompted by a PFM thread I notice Mr Andrews has produced a little research showing the filtering effects of his mains products http://www.russandrews.com/viewindex...amptestresults

Seems to be reasonably done - at least in comparison with the VD paper linked to earlier (which, indeed, is rather amusing).

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2008
    Neil, Dec 28, 2008
  12. D Louth 77

Dev Moderator

Erm, how do you reduce anything by more than 100%?

"The tests show that each of our cables reduce RFI to a substantial degree, typically between 300% and 1000% across a wide frequency range! The graphs also show that the progressively higher-weave PowerKords (such as the Signature PowerKords) show even better rejection."

Dev, Dec 28, 2008
  13. D Louth 77

Neil

I imagine it's the common misuse of "per cent" indicating the scale of reduction or whatever. You know, a 200m race is 200% of a 100m race, that sort of thing.

Neil, Dec 28, 2008
  14. D Louth 77

scott_01

Christmas day,,,and you're on a HiFi forum commenting about bits of wire.

Leaving aside the religious (non) significance of the day, surely you had better things to do? Sweet Jesus (spaghetti monster).

Also, seeing as this thread is almost entirely 'crapped'....

I got that RFI stuff on the Russ Andrews catalogue too. I think it was more to do with the censure delivered by the ASA than a thread on PFM, although any encouragement is welcome.

IMO it would have been more credible if they had used the same methodology for the 'Power cord comparison' as they did for the 'RFI effects' test

scott_01, Dec 28, 2008
  15. D Louth 77

Arlequen Vinyl Addict

I have had very expencive ICs and speakers cables in my hi-fi life
    I sold all them and bought Mogami Neglex 2534 Neutrik balanced IC cables and Anti-Cables as speaker cables , and I couldn't be happier

Arlequen, Dec 28, 2008
  16. D Louth 77

The Devil IHTFP

It's interesting that you think it's to do with having a "weak mind". Everyone accepts optical illusions without question, but some audiophiles just can't accept that their ears are deceiving them.

The Devil, Dec 28, 2008
  17. D Louth 77

Dev Moderator

Neil, I can't comment on RA's products but IMO whichever way one looks at the percentage figures quoted they are complete bollox at best but deliberately misleading/dishonest at worst.

Dev, Dec 28, 2008
  18. D Louth 77

DavidF

.....because you are reacting?!?

;)

DavidF, Dec 28, 2008
  19. D Louth 77

banpe2006

Devil, I presume you use the free red and white interconnects between all of your components and also the free speaker cable that comes supplied with Matsui stack systems from currys / dixons. If not, could you explain why not? i.e ...to know the reasons for using less than absolute basics in your set up. If you use different wires than the absolute basic - are you conceeding that there is some difference in sound (be it perceived or actual) ?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2008
    banpe2006, Dec 28, 2008
  20. D Louth 77

The Devil IHTFP

Yes I use the standard Naim mains power leads as supplied. I don't have speaker cables. I've replaced the SME V's arm lead with something with better quality plugs.

The Devil, Dec 28, 2008
Ask a Question