Power and interconnect cable review.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by D Louth 77, Dec 18, 2008.

1. D Louth 77

banpe2006

I find that cost doesnt always reflect quality, but I do think there are variants with some cables that can tailor the sound to suit, or not suit each persons tastes. horses and course I suppose.

banpe2006, Dec 28, 2008
  2. D Louth 77

D Louth 77

Naim

Naim, that explains a lot.

D louth 77

D Louth 77, Dec 28, 2008
  3. D Louth 77

The Devil IHTFP

Do you know more about Naim than, say, evolutionary biology? ;-)

The Devil, Dec 28, 2008
  4. D Louth 77

lbr monkey boy

Why? Seems a bit of a waste of effort to have taken the time to write it up only to delete it?

lbr, Dec 28, 2008
  5. D Louth 77

The Devil IHTFP

Don't quote him, dude, he'll sue.

The Devil, Dec 28, 2008
  6. D Louth 77

George Sallit

And do you regard the new Naim mains cables as a con? RFI resistance has measurements showing cables benefits; resistance to mechanical/vibration has none.

George Sallit, Dec 28, 2008
  7. D Louth 77

D Louth 77

Naim

IMHO

Naim is bandwidth limited and therefore would most likely not allow you to hear many if any of the differences of different cables, mains or signal. In the old days if you even put anything other than NAC 5 on it they blew up.

If there was only Naim to play music on I would sell my music collection and learn to play an instrument. IMHO.

To hear them at their best ( bit hard IMO ) you still have to use their cables and the Din connections and the full mains star earth system. Its also a pity Naim can't design their power supplies right from the first either. But instead prey on the gullible and sell them bigger and better power supplies. There is one born every minute IMHO of course. PRAT says it all too.

D Louth 77

D Louth 77, Dec 28, 2008
  8. D Louth 77

The Devil IHTFP

It hasn't really helped their credibility. Except, perhaps, if you are rather credulous.

The Devil, Dec 28, 2008
  9. D Louth 77

The Devil IHTFP

What do you understand by the term "bandwidth limited", DLOUTH?

The Devil, Dec 28, 2008
  10. D Louth 77

mike lacey Akiverer

I like my Naim kit.

My bad, obviously I'm wrong.

( Hello James )

mike lacey, Dec 28, 2008
  11. D Louth 77

The Devil IHTFP

Hi Mike,

It's the age-old "your system isn't good enough to reveal these subtle changes" argument. To which I would say: "your brain and personal vanity are deceiving you, and I'm glad it's not my money being wasted on mains leads which have no value".

[P.S. Did you see the religion stuff in the general chat room? Good for a laugh]

The Devil, Dec 28, 2008
  12. D Louth 77

mike lacey Akiverer

I've heard the power cable, and IMO it does improve things. For me, the interconnect did nothing though.

I did peep at the religion thing, giggled a bit and moved away.

Working much over the break?

mike lacey, Dec 28, 2008
  13. D Louth 77

The Devil IHTFP

There's a break?

The Devil, Dec 28, 2008
  14. D Louth 77

mike lacey Akiverer

Ah.

Reminds me of the Clash: "Killers in America work seven days a week." People still get poorly; hope you where not too busy.

M

mike lacey, Dec 28, 2008
  15. D Louth 77

YNMOAN Trade - AudioFlat

With all due respect, the above is typical anti Naim propaganda and largely nonsense. I've used lots of cables (other than NacA5) with Naim gear and never had the slightest problem - I don't even use NacA5 myself. I've owned some Naim amplification for many years and have never felt the compulsion to upgrade or change. My system is quite capable of revealing tiny changes in tracking weight, the effect of different turntable mats, the 'sound' of changing capacitors in the pre-amp; it does not lack 'resolution'. No doubt many amplifiers would sound better with a bigger power supply - however, we will never know as most manufacturers do not provide the opportunity to find out. Please feel free to dislike Naim equipment, but dislike it for the right reasons – the sound; not some hypothetical inadequacy, conspiracy, or failure of design.

There is a lot of equipment that I feel is barely mediocre (or just plain poor) but somehow I resist the temptation to point this out to the owners - mind you, I also resist the temptation to bang on about my own choice of gear at every possible opportunity too (yes I know, I'm a saint).

I don't normally read these cable related threads; not because of my belief structure but because they are the very epitome of tiresome and dull (I must have been very bored in this case).

YNMOAN, Dec 29, 2008
  16. D Louth 77

Neil

As far as the Naim thing goes I'm not sure D Louth's comments are just an anti name stance. I started on the Naim route some time ago following an audition at a dealers. I started with a Nait (3?) integrated and progressed to pre -powers. I had two models of these (ending up with, if I recall correctly, a 72 / 180). I had been advised by the dealer to go for a hi-cap before upgrading the pre but figured that Naim would not have built a bad internal PS. I then duly bought a hi-cap - yes it did make a difference - but when "included" as part of the pre price I questioned vfm a bit. At about this point my dealer explained (again) the upgrade path and offered me a listen to his system (6 pack active I believe it was). I was most impressed but whilst listening totted up roughly the cost of the boxes - thought about cost/benefit, diminishing returns etc - decided the Naim route was not for me! I do also wonder about the powerline / hi line thing - after all this time are Naim agreeing that the cable believers were right all along and such tweakery does, actually, belong in the rational Naim world (as my dealer always referred to it when discussing / dismissing eg RA cables)?

Neil, Dec 29, 2008
  17. D Louth 77

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

I dont feel Naim CD players or amplifiers are bandwidth limited. Not on my experience of hearing them.

Speakers and their set-up are more likely to curtail frequency extremes, depending on the model and type, and of course the room they are used in.

bottleneck, Dec 29, 2008
  18. D Louth 77

Paul Ranson

Naim CD players are bandlimited, just every other CDP in the world ever, to near as damnit 20kHz. Naim amps are limited at about 50kHz.

It's not a sensible criticism.

(Not using any separately bought interconnects, not using any speaker cables. Mains leads mostly from the big pile of mains leads accumulated over the years.)

Paul

Paul Ranson, Dec 29, 2008
  19. D Louth 77

The Devil IHTFP

The Devil, Dec 29, 2008
Ask a Question