Power Cable Question

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by James_1D, Feb 7, 2011.

1. James_1D

James_1D

Hi All, I have a Moon i3.3. and Equinox CD player....came with the standard power cables....so looking to get better replacements....

Not sure what I need to order....IEC and 13 or 16 amp ? Any help appreciated.

James_1D, Feb 7, 2011
  2. James_1D

Labarum

I should save your money and use what the box came with.

Labarum, Feb 7, 2011
  3. James_1D

James_1D

I get you, however I've spent so much on the electronics and speakers...that for the sake of a few hundred, and the added piece of mind I'll get...it's not too much of a stretch.

James_1D, Feb 7, 2011
  4. James_1D

felix part-time Horta

'Piece of mind' in mains cable for me comes from using good-quality industry-standard cables, say Volex or similar. You can find shieled ones too, for not a lot of money.

If they use a standard 'kettle plug' connector be aware this format is only rated for 6A regardless of what aftermarket parts claim. There is a dispensation under the regs for short cables <2m (or is it 1.5, cant remember) using the IEC plug to be rated 10A. Far more than enough, both long term and instantaneous peak draw.

Honestly, beyond good solid, tight fitting and reliable connectors there's not much to it (and some of the tweakier takes on mains cables are ....shocking in terms of build quality)

felix, Feb 7, 2011
  5. James_1D

nando nando

in a way i agree with you felix.

nando, Feb 7, 2011
  6. James_1D

Tenson Moderator

Have you thought about your room acoustics much? With good equipment and good speakers the next step is the room. Mains cables should never even be a step, beyond making sure you have the kit plugged in and it's safe.

Tenson, Feb 7, 2011
  7. James_1D

Mescalito

James,

take one hundred £5 notes into the street and burn them one by one, whilst chanting "this will make my hi-fi sound better". Better still, donate said one hundered £5 notes to a charity of your choice and chant"this will make my hi fi sound better.

Then go inside & check the sound of your hi fi. Does it sound better? Of course not. Neither will it sound better with £500 pounds worth of power cable.

Chris

Mescalito, Feb 8, 2011
    John_BS likes this.
  8. James_1D

hifinutt

13 amp iec
    the 16 amp are usually horizontal pins
    power cables can make a huge difference to the sound as does mains conditioning but prob get flaned for saying so.
    i recently changed my main supply cable to mains conditioner from a valhalla to a isotek syncro dc blocker with pretty damm good results , enough for my teen to ask " dad what have you done to the bass the fllor is shaking"

hifinutt, Feb 8, 2011
  9. James_1D

Tenson Moderator

You're wrong, so, flan flan flan!

[​IMG]

Tenson, Feb 8, 2011
  10. James_1D

pete693

I don't see anything wrong if someone wants to spend a couple of hundred pounds on a screened mains cable from their wall socket to their hi-fi.The real cost however is the screened cable between your house and the sub-station since this is probably where most of the noise is generated.

pete693, Feb 8, 2011
  11. James_1D

nando nando

nice pizza simon , did you make that? i will have a slice thanks, it will go down well.
    regards.

nando, Feb 8, 2011
  12. James_1D

lAmBoY Lothario and Libertine

that pizza looks like a right tart

lAmBoY, Feb 8, 2011
  13. James_1D

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

A screened cable can be bought on t-web for £30, and unless you live above a taxi rank and have the only hifi components with no mains filtration as part of the power supplies ever made, it'll sound just like any other cable.

Real mains filtration is a different fish altogether, that works and has good measured science to back it up- mains cables do not, just ask Russ Andrews.

sq225917, Feb 9, 2011
  14. James_1D

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

which type of standard kettlke lead do you mean? theres lots of diffrent IEC connectors avaliable .c13 and c14 are rated for 10A, c15 and 16 are proper "kettle leads" as they've a higher tempreture rating,there the ones with a slot ,then theres the c19-c24 range,rated for 16A

themadhippy, Feb 9, 2011
  15. James_1D

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

he means the figure 8

sq225917, Feb 9, 2011
  16. James_1D

zanash

go out and borrow a few to try in your system ... then decide if the expence is worth it ...failing that take your machine to a dealers and get them to try different cable in the demo room ...but remember power cables effects are closely related to location ...and may not have the same effect once you get home ...

as to the web on go for those with a money back option ...as previously stated they are location dependant .

As to others comments ...if you want to be a sheep join the herd ..if how ever you hgave an open mind ..go out and listen ..then make up your own mind ...
    some of these people think all amps sound the same !

zanash, Feb 10, 2011
  17. James_1D

Tenson Moderator

I wish people would stop saying that, I have never seen anyone claim all amps sound the same. There are some crazy designs of amps around that sound wildly different (not accurate).

Tenson, Feb 10, 2011
  18. James_1D

zanash

ok some people will try to prevent others from using there own judgement ....because [in my opinion] they can't tolerate the thought that they may be wrong as they can't experience the things some others can ...

I could have said all cables ...or all cd players or etc ....

I'm not a member of the herd mentallity ...and prefer for people to find out forthemselves ...rather than have others opinions thrust down there throats ..or attempt to make them a laughing stock or belittle them ....

where as I'm old enough for the insults to be actually quite funny and says far more about the insulter than insulted !

so go out there use your own ears and own judgment !

zanash, Feb 10, 2011
  19. James_1D

nando nando

in my opinion all cables DO MAKE A DIFFENCE, how ever it is up to the individual to choose .

nando, Feb 10, 2011
  20. James_1D

penance Arrogant Cock

Zanash, everyone can fall for the placebo of cables, but is it really worth the money when there is no actual change?

penance, Feb 10, 2011
Ask a Question