Power cords for ATC 20 Active

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by anubisgrau, Jun 27, 2006.

1. anubisgrau

anon_bb Honey Badger

Indeed what you have suggested is a monstrous crime against all that is holy. I could never own linn, naim or atc - its a sin.

anon_bb, Jul 6, 2006
  2. anubisgrau

andyoz

Amazing what's available on the web isn't it?

By the way, the 2003 revision of ISO226 has some major changes to those Equal Loudness curves (the original ones were based on 1950's research).

Seems our understanding of hearing is continually evolving.

andyoz, Jul 6, 2006
  3. anubisgrau

3DSonics away working hard on "it"

Hi,

One last repeat. An effect that varies by 6 - 10db with SPL and in bandwidth by a factor 1 : 2 is not a resonance. This is basic acoustics.

The simple pipe resonance is no doubt a contributing but quoting a bakers dozen websites featuring practically the same text which claims a resonance effect that is clearly not sufficient to produce the observed equal loudness curves is no evidence at all.

If a given thesis is in direct opposition to observed facts we must reject said thesis as incomplete. I have no interest to actually explain to YOU what accounts for the differences between the behaviour predicted by the thesis you wish to support and empirically observed behaviour, at any extent, you should know.

L8er T

3DSonics, Jul 6, 2006
  4. anubisgrau

Tenson Moderator

Hardly, but it is of course the arrogance of someone in your profession to think so. Which is why when someone says something like Bottleneck did, as if doctors are unquestionable in matters medical, that it slightly annoys me as I see it all too often.

It was not aimed at you specifically, it just gets my nose up when I see that sort of behaviour.

Tenson, Jul 6, 2006
  5. anubisgrau

JonR

Well, it's no secret that members of the medical profession tend to frown on complimentary health /alternative medicine, and vice versa.

A shame really, as I'm sure that both have plenty to contribute to knowledge of the human anatomy.

JonR, Jul 6, 2006
  6. anubisgrau

zanash

and don't forget ....the medical profession is as fallible as any other.

like the clowns who gave a drug intravenously to a chap in the qmc when it should have been intramuscular .....he died.

zanash, Jul 6, 2006
  7. anubisgrau

ShinOBIWAN

Similar story at our local hospital with some muppet doctor removed the wrong kidney in a male patient a few years ago. It was on national news I believe.

If I need hospital treatment I'm going private, the NHS sucks.

ShinOBIWAN, Jul 6, 2006
  8. anubisgrau

anon_bb Honey Badger

Sorry bub but if you think a small difference in ear canal size is responsible for improved female acuity in that range then you clearly have no idea what you are talking about medically - or indeed in terms of resonance. The ear is inherently nonlinear and obtains its discrimination from a nested set of nonlinear processes of which the physical mechanism of the ear is only a part. Female acuity is higher largely because the female brain has evolved to dedicate greater processing power for expressly this purpose and its attendent benefit for child rearing.

Tenson is right - in terms of how the body works from the genome to the proteome to the cellular workings of the body we probably understand about 1% of the complex system that evolution has created.

anon_bb, Jul 6, 2006
  9. anubisgrau

Richard Dunn

There was a guy regularly doing the rounds of the Hi-Fi shows in the 1980's who used a hearing aid. He was really fun to be with as you could take him around the rooms and he largely heard and articulated the musical difference you did. He spent a small fortune on his Hi-Fi. So if we are only talking about mechanical / biological structures what is the process going on here, because medical and mechanical explanations have no way of explaining this!

Ears are only one part of the equation, the whole body responds to energetic stimulii and not just a low frequencies. Stick some cotton wool in your ears and do the rounds of some comparitive demonstrations. First you have to get over the fact that everything sounds crap. Soon you will find there are degrees of crap and from what ever base point you come from differences and changes in emotional / energetics responses are still apparent. If that situation is all you know or are used to, that is what you work with, the human body and mind are marvelous adapters to reality.

Do you realise that someone who is totally deaf can get pleasure form a music concert, they *hear* by proxy, they pick up and perceive normal hearers energetic responses subconsciously, and they get off on that!!!

Richard

Richard Dunn, Jul 6, 2006
  10. anubisgrau

ShinOBIWAN

Why can't I have my own little universe? :(

ShinOBIWAN, Jul 7, 2006
  11. anubisgrau

andyoz

Not so LOUD when they are two rooms away with all the doors shut.

My wife can easily hear "junior" in that situation and I can't (that has it's advantages).

andyoz, Jul 7, 2006
  12. anubisgrau

julian2002 Muper Soderator

you sexist bastards - everyone is exactly the same damnit.

julian2002, Jul 7, 2006
  13. anubisgrau

3DSonics away working hard on "it"

Hi,

:confused:

You communist/faschist fatherless one - everyone is completely different damnit!

:D :MILD:

Actually, this "everyone is the same" is the worst thing that can be applied to any organisation, group of people, country. It makes the lowest common denominator the standard to which all must conform. Not good.

Ciao T

3DSonics, Jul 7, 2006
  14. anubisgrau

julian2002 Muper Soderator

ahh a perfect example of a sarchasm.....

julian2002, Jul 7, 2006
  15. anubisgrau

anon_bb Honey Badger

Thats not really an answer bub. You just betray your superficial understanding. "Pretentious" just means you didnt understand it.

anon_bb, Jul 8, 2006
  16. anubisgrau

The Devil IHTFP

Yawn. Bye.

The Devil, Jul 8, 2006
  17. anubisgrau

Riverdog

anubisgrau

anubisgrau, you have pm. If you have some time to reply I would be grateful.
    Shamsur

Riverdog, Jul 11, 2006
  18. anubisgrau

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Just as many horror stories about care in private medical institutions exist.

In fact, I trust independant medical institutions less than NHS goverened places - I associate the NHS's rather extensive management structure with a degree of accountability for the surgeon/individual in the organisation. I don't feel the same about private institutions.

The higher patient-nurse ratio and the urgency of being treated are the factors that would sway me towards private medical care.

When my mother had brain surgery it was done privately.... privately but by a leading NHS surgeon in an NHS hospital... so going private does not mean you won't be treated by NHS staff. (In this case we were glad of the expertise of the surgeon, but now I am going very off topic).

bottleneck, Jul 11, 2006
Ask a Question