Power supplies for a NOS DAC

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Mr_Sukebe, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Chaps,

Couple of questions for you guys.
    For those of you who've added replacement power supplies to your NOS DACs, can you please comment on the types of improvements you have experienced?

In addition, I appear to have several options on the choice of power supply, e.g.
    - Contact Derek, who I believe supplies one for £150
    - Have one built for the unit
    Any thoughts?

Mr_Sukebe, Aug 4, 2005
  2. Mr_Sukebe

Garmt

Build a battery power supply! :MILD:

Garmt, Aug 4, 2005
  3. Mr_Sukebe

T-bone Sanchez

The battery supply idea is a good one, I have the details of a battery psu with a built in auto charger which I keep meaning to build.

Ive made a few now with varying degrees of success. All of them have improved it over the standard wall-wart, more bass and increased dynamics being the improvement. Funnily enough, my favourite supply uses a switch-mode system that I picked up of ebay and played with. I've built a couple with toroidals (50 & 80VA) using schottky bridges and various amounts a capacitance with by-passing etc, neither has been as quiet as the switch-mode psu. Ive just bought another toroidal to try again with another design Ive found on the net but after Ive done the battery psu.

T-bone Sanchez, Aug 4, 2005
  4. Mr_Sukebe

Hodgesaargh

I got one from Maplin and the bass is improved nicely.

Hodgesaargh, Aug 5, 2005
  5. Mr_Sukebe

Shuggie

I bought the upgrade PSU from Derek, and I'm very pleased with it. Apart from the fact that it's as superbly constructed and finished as the NOS DAC, it does open up the sound and gives much more controlled and extended bass. I could not have made a better PSU for the same money. I could make a better PSU, of course, but it would not be at all cheap.

Shuggie, Aug 5, 2005
  6. Mr_Sukebe

Craig

I bought Derek's PSU as well, although I don't recall the price being so high !!

Craig, Aug 10, 2005
  7. Mr_Sukebe

mr cat Member of the month

I'm sure zanash maybe able to do one - he built me a spot on one...as well as modding my DAC.

mr cat, Aug 10, 2005
Ask a Question